Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

California fires now added as argument against bike lanes etc.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 11-21-18, 04:17 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 319 Posts

I was just coming home in the car, and on the radio (KGO) the talk host was slamming "road diets" because it made it difficult for people to evacuate in case of a fire. I got the idea this show was from Southern California, BTW it's raining really hard right now in Northern California, but the argument was that people will die because of these changes to major streets. The one lady was outraged because it took longer than her usual few minutes to get out of her hilly neighborhood with only one road for access than it used to after the road was dieted. Also they threw in the 18 business that went broke argument after the diet was imposed. Is there any truth in that? And the other argument that the residents had no say in the matter.

That last "no say" argument is just so wrong. In my area the meetings and public comment opportunities are legion. But people don't come, I went to some and no one was really there except cyclist advocates. I am a cyclist but also a resident. I spoke against one pet project and they didn't know how to react. After that I now pay attention what's going on. And I think they recognize that I might be showing up.

Thank God for the rain, I almost went out for a ride just to enjoy it. My bike is pretty good in the rain, practical fenders and all but it was a bit too hard for me. I find if I'm riding and the rain starts that's one thing, but looking out the door into a heavy storm, well that's another.
Old 11-21-18, 04:22 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
No, they're lying.

Also it occurs to me that when there are traffic jams from evacuations, it would be faster to bike out.
Old 11-21-18, 06:29 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
It is a horrible, tragic and stressful event underway. People handle those factors differently.

Pray all for those who have suffered , for those who have lost and for all those who have been changed forever.

Tolerance and understanding is a gift that should be shared.
Old 11-21-18, 08:05 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Old 11-21-18, 10:49 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
It is a horrible, tragic and stressful event underway. People handle those factors differently.

Pray all for those who have suffered , for those who have lost and for all those who have been changed forever.

So, do cyclist in the area get to lie and claim more people died because there were not enough bike lanes?
Old 11-21-18, 10:57 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless

Well said.

Thank you.
Old 11-21-18, 11:27 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I always maintain very strict lane discipline in my car when fleeing a fast-moving lethal disaster.
Old 11-22-18, 01:58 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Also they threw in the 18 business that went broke argument after the diet was imposed. Is there any truth in that? And the other argument that the residents had no say in the matter.
I don't know about any specific business, but everywhere anyone has ever looked at the impact of road diets and other active-transportation friendly changes to the streetscape the effect is always positive. More sales, more people, more sales per person. Here's one article to start the adventure:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton.../#418ac2d4641e
Old 11-22-18, 05:34 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I always maintain very strict lane discipline in my car when fleeing a fast-moving lethal disaster.
+1

Isn't there a movie quote: "if you've gotta go, you gotta go"?
Don't think any lane marker, designated parking zone etc that's harmless to the car would last long when the smoke is in the air. If there is an escape route, people will take it.

AFAIK, the most limiting factors for large-scale evacuations usually isn't road capacity as such, but stranded vehicles.
There's an initial phase where road capacity is a factor, but pretty soon (in miles and time) what brings traffic to a standstill are cars running out of fuel, overheating, burning out the clutches etc. Collisions - even when the cars remain driveable - that leads to fights. And further obstacles.
As soon as congestion/road discipline gets so bad that abandoned and/or broken down vehicles can no longer get/be pushed off the road easily, it doesn't matter that much how wide the road was to start with. It's all gridlocked anyway.
Saw a study on evacuations once. One suggestion was to use spotters on the ground, and then cargo helicopters to keep the roads clear of abandoned vehicles to keep traffic flowing.
Another, when there's a more defined bottleneck and a route back was to use heavy vehicles as "pace cars" and sweepers. They'd loop around like dividers on a conveyor belt, pushing any stalled vehicle ahead of them and clear the road.
Old 11-22-18, 05:37 AM
dabac

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I don't know about any specific business, but everywhere anyone has ever looked at the impact of road diets and other active-transportation friendly changes to the streetscape the effect is always positive. More sales, more people, more sales per person. Here's one article to start the adventure:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton.../#418ac2d4641e
Makes sense. The slower you go, the more things along the road you're able to notice. If it's easier to stop as well, the number of spontaneous visits should pick up. And that more visitors to the store leads to more sales is hardly surprising.
Old 11-22-18, 06:04 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They wont need cars when the high speed rail way is built ?
Old 11-22-18, 12:18 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
You just need to keep the bike lanes raked.
Old 11-22-18, 12:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Red Herrings?

And if Sparks from the power grid started them,?
Ban Overhead electric power lines?
Old 11-22-18, 03:35 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Also it occurs to me that when there are traffic jams from evacuations, it would be faster to bike out.
As I watched the coverage on TV, I kept thinking that bikes were the first thing I would load into my car in anticipation of jam ups.

The reduced lane width argument has no merit. #1 . Wider roads don't guarantee that traffic jams will not occur. #2 . Road diet plans may reduce lane width under normal traffic circumstance; however that does not mean that vehicle use during emergencies would be impeded. A bike lane is plenty wide for a car to use. #3 . These media uses of tragedy to stir things up are a way to deflect attention from other issues, or worse, to promote their own cultural agenda.
Old 11-22-18, 05:37 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
These media uses of tragedy to stir things up are a way to deflect attention from other issues, or worse, to promote their own cultural agenda.
Get rid of bike lanes and rake those forests! That'll do it.
Old 11-22-18, 05:57 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
And if Sparks from the power grid started them,?
Ban Overhead electric power lines?
This is actually the best solution, which is why no one will talk about it.

Bury the cables.

At the very least, replace the un-insulated wires, and get rid of, or turn off, the automatic reclosers that send pulses of high current through open circuits when wires come down.
Old 11-22-18, 06:30 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The only discussion I've heard along these lines concerned the town of Paradise in NorCal. I've spent a few nights at a campground there while on bike tours and evacuating by bike would certainly be an option for those so inclined. Once you get out of town it's almost a 2000' descent down to the valley so the ride into Chico is very fast. Due to the terrain there are limited routes out of town and the need for evacuation planning has been well known and implemented by the local engineers and officials. Here's the article in the LA Times:
https://www.latimes.com/local/califo...120-story.html

Note that there is disagreement on whether the traffic calming measures had any slowing effect on the evacuation and that reports indicated that it was quicker this time than during a previous fire in 2008.
Old 11-22-18, 08:36 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
You just need to keep the bike lanes raked.
Old 11-23-18, 01:44 AM
ferten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, they're lying.

THIS! I was also about to comment on a similar note but I see that you already echoed my sentiments.

Bike lanes are needed for traffic jams in case something worse happens. And bike lanes or no bike lanes, there would still be a traffic jam. It's California.
Old 11-23-18, 03:30 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
This is like blaming the long lineups at a major grocery store or Walmart on a Saturday afternoon on the express checkouts where you have to have 12 items or less.
Old 11-23-18, 03:38 AM
dabac

Originally Posted by prathmann
... there is disagreement on whether the traffic calming measures had any slowing effect on the evacuation and that reports indicated that it was quicker this time than during a previous fire in 2008.
I don't remember the details, but I've done the maths on traffic volume vs speed once.
The way it works out is that you need to promote flow rather than speed. Cars-per-second is more important than meters-per-second.
And if you want to keep a reasonable reaction time to be able to deal with what the car ahead might do, the optimum speed isn't that much. Maybe 35 mph ?
Sure, high speed-and-tailgating will create a greater flow than sensible speed-and-gaps - but only until the first accident.
Old 11-23-18, 04:40 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
The problem with traffic jams in panic situations is just the same problem with traffic jams under normal situations, amplified---people behind the wheel can be selfish richards, can feel that they need to advance every possible foot, can lose sight of the fact that a car in traffic cannot go faster than that traffic ....

It is like watching people being unwilling or unable to merge when entering a freeway .... it is a simple concept but almost always leads to tie-ups simply because people cannot see that if they cooperate, Everyone moves right along. Everyone tries to get ahead of everyone else, and traffic stops.

No number of lanes is going to make people stop being idiots. And extra four feet on one side of the road will only mean that cars will try to squeeze in where they don't fit ... in more places.

Anyone who was seen traffic stop on both sides of an 8-lane highway because someone got a flat, .... or has seen cars drive into each other because the drivers briefly forgot they were driving ... understands that adding lanes only adds new places for people to behave badly.
Old 11-23-18, 11:18 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,685 Times in 2,509 Posts
I'm pretty sure a road diet would help rather than hurt overall traffic flow in this situation. Merges are the biggest traffic slowdowns that I have seen, and if there is only one lane, there are fairly few merges.
Old 11-23-18, 01:06 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Skyline doesn’t have bike lanes.

-mr. bill
Old 11-23-18, 03:30 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
No, they're lying.

Might seem smart, but often the remote areas where such evacuations occur make it too far for anyone but the hardiest cyclists to "escape" in that manner.

On the flip side, riding a bike was the best way to get around during the great SoCal black out of 2011... motorists just failed miserably when it came to failed traffic lights... they really didn't know who had ROW... it was amazing to watch. Of course, cyclists, being well versed in ROW activities... just zipped around all the halted motor traffic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.