Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Anybody have two Hybrids?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 12-07-18, 01:54 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

More to the point, do you have two hybrids of different quality levels? For instance one with a carbon fork and disc brakes and another without and with rim brakes?
If you do can you explain what you reasoning is for and if not also why. I am thinking of getting a higher end hybrid and keep my current bike but I see it only filling the slot as a backup if and when my new, higher end bike needs repair. Very undecided.
Thanks in advance, Frank.
Old 12-07-18, 03:10 PM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd classify two of my bikes as hybrids, although they weren't originally.

One was a road bike that I converted to flat bar. At the time I had two other drop bar road bikes and really just changed it up for variety. Later, I tried to make it work for gravel, but the geometry made it too skittitsh for my liking, and I couldn't fit tires as wide as I wanted, so I gave up on that. It's the bike I keep on my stationary trainer now, but I still use it on the road occasionally. Is it a hybrid? I consider it to be one because of the flat bar, but some people might say it's just a flat bar road bike.

The other was an XC mountain bike that I switched to a rigid fork and cut the handlebar narrower. I use it for riding gravel when I know or suspect my route will be rougher than I care to ride on my CAADX. Some people might just consider it a rigid MTB, but that's not how I use it, so I consider it a hybrid along the lines of a Giant ToughRoad.
Old 12-07-18, 03:17 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Yes, but both are kinda on the high end. The difference is one the 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1 has over 30K miles on it but new R8000 Ultegra drivetrain, wheel set and tubeless tires. The other one a new 2019 Canyon RoadLite 9.0 LTD is somewhere between CA and Fl on a FedEx truck. But when it gets here it will be using the Sram Force one 1 x11 drive train plus a few goodies. The plan is to use the RoadLites as our local bikes and the Giants will continue to travel with us on motorhome trips as they have for the past three years. Nothing wrong with owning more than one of the same type bike.. Go for it!
Old 12-07-18, 04:51 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Yes. Soon to have three.

1. Flat-bar road bike (2010), set up for distance road cycling. This has been my main bike since 2010. Soon to be supplemented by ...

2. Flat-bar road bike -- new (2019) ordered -- to be set up for distance road cycling. Reason: just 'cause; just 'cause I wanted a new-generation high-end, full-carbon road bike. Bike #1 will become my flat-bar rain/crap weather road bike, with fenders permanently installed.

3. Older (2005) hardtail mtb, set up to switch between paved surfaces and off-road with a tire switch. This bike is used for "wide tire" stuff, mainly mtb now, but was formerly used for everything -- road and off-road.

Last edited by badger1; 12-07-18 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-07-18, 10:44 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Thanks all for the responses.
Frank.
Old 12-07-18, 11:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yup. A Globe Carmel comfort hybrid, long wheelbase, slack geometery, entry level spring suspension fork, massively heavy, strong frame. It's what I began with in 2015 when I was recovering from back and neck injuries and needed an easy re-entry to cycling. It's still my local errands bike.

And a '92 Univega Via Carisma, what was then a mountain bike-lite, an early hybrid. It's being morphed into a sporty city bike, with albatross handlebar to replace the original flat bar, and other changes to suit my preferences. It wasn't as comfortable at first but my conditioning and flexibility have improved and it's a lot more fun to ride than the Globe.

I also have an older drop bar road bike that I ride about half the time.
Old 12-08-18, 05:41 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I have a number of them, though I typically ride one of them far more than the others.

1997 Trek 750 and 2015 Trek Verve 3 both have rim brakes. The '97 has a 3x7 drivetrain with a really cool roller clutch hub (no ratcheting pawls) and is sort of a "classic" bike in many ways (very nice butted chrome-moly steel frame). The 2015 Verve is less unique, and I've told myself that I should sell it, just due to non-use. It's in near perfect condition and works 100%...I just don't really ever ride it.

2018 Giant Roam has become my primary bike, mostly because I really like the disc brakes on it. Rim brakes seem to be a perpetual annoyance in my specific environment (lots of swings in temperature and humidity).

My dream bike would be the 1997 Trek 750 with disc brakes. I guess that means I need to get a Surly or something -- something with a steel frame with disc mounts. Maybe one day.
Old 12-08-18, 09:02 AM
Helderberg

You people are not helping. You were supposed to tell me how dumb I am for wanting two of the same bike. Tell me that the only second bike I should have is a Road bike, I can't ride one because of my back, supposed to tell me to keep what I have and be happy I have a bike at all.
What a bunch of enablers you people are, THANKS!!!
Frank.
Old 12-08-18, 11:35 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
You people are not helping. You were supposed to tell me how dumb I am for wanting two of the same bike. Tell me that the only second bike I should have is a Road bike, I can't ride one because of my back, supposed to tell me to keep what I have and be happy I have a bike at all.
Frank.
Heh! You'll no doubt get those kinds of responses, or hear them first-hand, in due course. Most of us who prefer -- for whatever reason(s) -- flat-bars on our road bikes have read or heard this. It is inevitable.
Old 12-08-18, 02:50 PM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Enabler here!!!

Frank.
A year ago I bought a new cheap entry level hybrid, flat bar bike. Eleven months ago I bought a nice used Trek mtb only to lose it off the back of my pickup (long story) . This summer got a nice used almost new 2016 Trek DS 8.4. Just bought a 2017 Giant 27.5 mtb.. Love or loved em all.

Hi my name is Jerry and I have a problem, I'm a bikeaholic .......

Possibly your better half is for telling you how dumb you might be for needing more then one. Yer not gonna hear it here......
Old 12-08-18, 03:49 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
Frank.
N+1 is a bug that has hit most of us! That's all I'm gonna say!

One day hopefully soon I will too will get a second bike!
Old 12-08-18, 07:38 PM
csrpenfab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Yes. Old Trek FX7 was my first hybrid. It’s now my back up bike for rainy days. The first choice is my new Trek FXS6. Amazing bike and it does everything I need in a bike.

Old 12-08-18, 08:36 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Yeah, I have 3 hybrids. And if you'd asked me 15 years ago if I'd ever have a hybrid I would have laughed. Little did I know how fun and versatile these bikes really are. I have lower back problems too so I seldom take either of my 2 road bikes out much these days.

Also, on a side note, hybrids were a little on the crappy side of the spectrum 15 years ago. They've come a long way. Of course, so has every other type of bike too.

All of mine have V-brakes so I can't offer a comparison between rim & disc brakes. Personally, for my needs front suspension is pretty useless, but I have it on two of my bikes.
Old 12-17-18, 09:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I was shopping for a good used one but found a decent cheap one. bought the decent cheap one & then found a good used one. kept both. wound up dedicating one for off road riding w wide gravel tires & the other for family adventures on paved trails with high volume touring tires. but then came winter & I put the studs on the better bike so it became my ice bike. when there was no ice I used the decent cheap bike in the dirt & mud. when I want to rack up road miles on clear streets I use my conventional drop bar road bike. wanting to ride rougher off-road trails I got a mountain bike so the hybrids aren't being used right now & one has a flat but I need to decide what tires to put on it if I sell it. only my mountain bike has disc brakes. good luck with your dilemma!
Old 12-17-18, 06:44 PM
Helderberg

Thanks all for the comments and I can now add my own name to this list. Picked up a Quick 3 to add to my Quick 7. Have the 7 set up more as a comfort bike and the 3 is geared and set up for me as my road bike. With my back issues I have to be satisfied with this configuration and I can say that I really am. I like them both but the 3 is on another level.
Thanks again, Frank.

Old 12-17-18, 08:00 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Well most road cyclist have two (or more) of the same type bikes -- which they've been doing for decades -- so when you think of it from that perspective two hybrid wouldn't seem at all unusual.

Since my hybrid was already at the top (in aluminum that is), its unlikely I'd buy one of lower quality at this point. Although I guess I could upgrade laterally to the latest model, which I did consider briefly.
Old 12-17-18, 08:05 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Good looking 'Dale. Congrats!
Old 12-17-18, 09:10 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I have two hybrids. My first bike (after a failed experiment with sporting goods store bike) was a Giant Cypress. After about a year I knew I wanted something a little more aggressive so I bought a Giant Escape.
Old 12-19-18, 03:26 AM
Randy Barat

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2. One is a Marin San Anselmo for a rougher terrain and another is KHS CX 500 formerly a Cyclocross bike converted into a 1X drivetrain with Jones loop handlebar.