Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Old 10-30-17, 01:59 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've gotta join the chorus against the wheel decals. Have you tried hitting them with a heat gun?
Old 10-30-17, 08:03 AM
Moose

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am gonna stand up and vote for the decals. I get the irony and I think it looks cool. I am pretty sure they make you faster too, the raised edges serve the same purpose as the dimples on a golf ball.
Old 10-30-17, 08:11 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
Hey, it's a winter bike. Any extra stickers protect the frame (or in this case, wheels) itself from damage/corrosion (I know, I know, the rims are aluminum, but that's my point and I'm sticking to it). Sticker that baby up.
Old 10-30-17, 09:23 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
@RiddleOfSteel I like it a lot! Decals or no decals it looks great.
Old 10-30-17, 10:22 AM
arimajol

Bikes: Some old steel, some new steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I like that! So clean.

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I love all the wacky paint schemes of this era, especially on high end bikes. Looks great!

Old 10-30-17, 10:45 AM
Andy_K 

I hadn't noticed the XT rear derailleur and the big cassette until now. That I like.
Old 10-30-17, 10:48 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Guys, we are missing the big faux pas. No, not the wheel decals.

Look at the small chainring big cog combo for the photo. Who is going to go fast like that???

I love all the wacky paint schemes of this era, especially on high end bikes. Looks great!

So, my 1984 Miyata 610 is making the rounds here as I have completed, gone on a few test rides, and then took it for a longer trip today. The bike is fantastic and I really like the way it looks. What started out as "let's make a modernized touring bike into a winter/rain bike with cantis and ample fender clearance, with as much Dura-Ace as I can shrewdly locate" turned into "ok, there's my 7900 DA shifters that I wanted to use and most everything else is bought." Wheels, tires, STIs, pedals, drop bars, stem, and seat post were original. Brakes are Deore LX (M560), RD is a 9-speed XT (M772 w/ GS cage) bought new, FSA (more) Energy cranks running 36/50T rings, 5700-era Shimano 105 front derailleur, and an 11-36T 10-speed cassette. Frame is powder coated and re-decal'ed as the original blue paint and decals were toast. So yeah, we'll going touring and winter commuting...quickly.

Old 10-30-17, 10:53 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Oh, hey now, guys! Don't be a bunch of sticks in the mud! You're missing the humor in having wheels that visually loud on a vintage touring bike (with 'go fast' components).

I've tried picking off one corner (a while ago), and got a few mm square section. Thick decals that are on pretty well. And this wheel not being brand new, there will be a paint intensity difference. I don't want that. I have a newer set of these, with much more subdued graphics (on my Marinoni). Maybe I'll switch one day. I understand where you all are coming from, and you can rest assured that I am not the Desecrator of Revered Steel as shown by all my other bikes. For now though, this Miyata and I are on a mission from God. There is no penguin that has sent me, but I am sent on the penguin-colored bicycle to show all those newfangled steel and aluminum steeds what's what.
I like the contrast between the shouty wheels and subdued frame - keep the decals!
Old 10-30-17, 11:28 AM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Decals Lives Matter!!!
Old 10-30-17, 12:13 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Is the front fender on correctly? It seems really close to the ground. Maybe the bracket should be attached in front of the fork. Maybe not.

So, my 1984 Miyata 610 is making the rounds here as I have completed, gone on a few test rides, and then took it for a longer trip today. The bike is fantastic and I really like the way it looks. What started out as "let's make a modernized touring bike into a winter/rain bike with cantis and ample fender clearance, with as much Dura-Ace as I can shrewdly locate" turned into "ok, there's my 7900 DA shifters that I wanted to use and most everything else is bought." Wheels, tires, STIs, pedals, drop bars, stem, and seat post were original. Brakes are Deore LX (M560), RD is a 9-speed XT (M772 w/ GS cage) bought new, FSA (more) Energy cranks running 36/50T rings, 5700-era Shimano 105 front derailleur, and an 11-36T 10-speed cassette. Frame is powder coated and re-decal'ed as the original blue paint and decals were toast. So yeah, we'll going touring and winter commuting...quickly.

Old 10-30-17, 12:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7342 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Is the front fender on correctly? It seems really close to the ground. Maybe the bracket should be attached in front of the fork. Maybe not.
Yes, it's correct. Some people like long fenders. More coverage means less splash. The downsides are cost and convenience when removing the front wheel.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-30-17, 01:55 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
That’s the way SKS fenders fit when I used them on my wife’s bike. As @noglider points out, having the fender flap near the ground does a great job keeping feet dry.

The semi-rigid nature of those SKS flaps make it harder to fit in a full length bike rack “tray”, but I know @RiddleOfSteel would never desecrate his beloved Camaro with a roof rack!
Old 10-30-17, 02:17 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Put me in the "keep the decals" camp. They play well with the subdued frame.
Old 10-30-17, 02:51 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Dfrost
The semi-rigid nature of those SKS flaps make it harder to fit in a full length bike rack “tray”, but I know @RiddleOfSteel would never desecrate his beloved Camaro with a roof rack!
The other thing the "semi-rigid" nature of the flap does is make the fender into a fairly efficient scoop. This is worth noting because I don't see SKS's safety release on the front fender mount. Am I just missing it somehow?

I had this happen with the SKS Longboards on my Grand Record last summer:

I guess I had enough of a gap to avoid triggering the release mechanism because this just rubbed the tire and brought me to a slow and painless stop. A couple of months later while riding the CZ Trail with some C&Vers I heard an awful racket of rattling plastic coming from a bike behind me. I turned around to find nazcalines had caught a stick with his fender that did trigger the release mechanism. It was noisy, but the release tab did its job.

The results without a quick release can be extremely bad.
Old 10-30-17, 08:03 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I've gotta join the chorus against the wheel decals. Have you tried hitting them with a heat gun?
Would it be a Campagnolo Chorus against the decals? I haven't tried the heat gun yet, in part because I don't own one, the other part being I didn't think about doing that. It is effective, but again, I don't want two shades of black on the wheels.

Originally Posted by Moose
I am gonna stand up and vote for the decals. I get the irony and I think it looks cool. I am pretty sure they make you faster too, the raised edges serve the same purpose as the dimples on a golf ball.
Thank you! They certainly do make me faster. And I feel faster, and that's important for us Gen Y and Millenial kids to feel good about everything every single second... Also, second that golf ball dimples thinking. I like that. Infallible logic!

Originally Posted by himespau
Hey, it's a winter bike. Any extra stickers protect the frame (or in this case, wheels) itself from damage/corrosion (I know, I know, the rims are aluminum, but that's my point and I'm sticking to it). Sticker that baby up.
Also a most excellent point! Thank you! And come to think of it, all the road soot that invariably turns everything dark grey will first turn my wheels dark grey. Look! All of us can win here! I'll just have to take a picture when it gets that bad. No need to bother with Photoshop helping decide the debate, all I need is rain, road gunk, and plenty of time.

Originally Posted by greg3rd48
@RiddleOfSteel I like it a lot! Decals or no decals it looks great.
Originally Posted by arimajol
I like that! So clean.
Thank you so much! Commuted on it today--what a great, fun bike!

I hadn't noticed the XT rear derailleur and the big cassette until now. That I like.
Thanks, Andy. You're coming around. Soon, you will love the wheel decals... But really, I wanted a triple crank's range in a double while using the 7900 shifters. Perhaps I am a little tired of the 3x10 Campy setup, as good as it has been. FD shifting issues have plagued the Super Le Tour and I didn't want to deal with it, or the fact that Campy just can't offer much of anything outside of a 13-26T cassette. The XT rear derailleur is fantastic. Very smooth with a lot of chain capacity, cog capacity (36T max officially), and articulation. Their price (new) is also a great deal. I like the looks as well.

Originally Posted by Narhay
Guys, we are missing the big faux pas. No, not the wheel decals.

Look at the small chainring big cog combo for the photo. Who is going to go fast like that???
You have found me out! I only go fast down hill--the rest is for show!

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
I like the contrast between the shouty wheels and subdued frame - keep the decals!
Originally Posted by beicster
Put me in the "keep the decals" camp. They play well with the subdued frame.
Thank you both! They are here to stay!

Originally Posted by malcala622
Decals Lives Matter!!!
Haha, yes they do!
Old 10-30-17, 08:19 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

The directions that SKS provides shows both mounting positions. Behind the fork is surprisingly low. Scandalously low, even! I did think about mounting it in the front. The benefits of rear mounting is 1) I don't have to mess with already-mounted brake hardware (or just messing with it in general) 2) It mounts easily to a rear bolt with just a nut 3) With it mounting 7mm off the back of the fork, I don't have to bend the slotted mount bracket, which is what I have to do with ones mounted in the front to avoid interfering with the headset.

Originally Posted by noglider
Yes, it's correct. Some people like long fenders. More coverage means less splash. The downsides are cost and convenience when removing the front wheel.
Yup. Thankfully the purchase price was reasonable (anything new in the $40-50 range is a good price to me, especially as it means you get all the necessary hardware). I made sure to provide enough room for wheel removal, even if it adds to the 'scooper' predilection.

Originally Posted by Dfrost
That’s the way SKS fenders fit when I used them on my wife’s bike. As @noglider points out, having the fender flap near the ground does a great job keeping feet dry.

Ah yes, my beloved El Camarillo! No one makes roof racks for them, which is understandable as they have essentially no roof in T-tops form! I have thought about it, though. Sea Sucker makes products for people in my situation. I have no desire to fit a trailer hitch to my car, even if it has a truck axle.

The other thing the "semi-rigid" nature of the flap does is make the fender into a fairly efficient scoop. This is worth noting because I don't see SKS's safety release on the front fender mount. Am I just missing it somehow?

I guess I had enough of a gap to avoid triggering the release mechanism because this just rubbed the tire and brought me to a slow and painless stop. A couple of months later while riding the CZ Trail with some C&Vers I heard an awful racket of rattling plastic coming from a bike behind me. I turned around to find nazcalines had caught a stick with his fender that did trigger the release mechanism. It was noisy, but the release tab did its job.

The results without a quick release can be extremely bad.
You aren't missing it (good eye), SKS supplied M5 bolts and my eyelets take an M6. I need to pick up long M6 bolts to make it work. For now, clean roads and no trails. I never competed or tried pole vault, and I'm not about to start now.
Old 11-04-17, 08:22 AM
sanmi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bianchi Sport SX

I built this up last winter and it's been my main ride this year with nearly 3,000 miles so far. It fits me like a glove and has reassuringly predictable handling. The Salsa Cowbell handlebar is super comfortable and the new Tiagra 4700 shifts flawlessly. Wheels are hand built with Sun rims and Dura Ace 7400 hubs. Not a lightweight build at ~23lbs but just what I need for daily road rides.

sport sx.JPG
sport sx 2.JPG
Old 11-04-17, 10:13 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by sanmi
I built this up last winter and it's been my main ride this year with nearly 3,000 miles so far. It fits me like a glove and has reassuringly predictable handling. The Salsa Cowbell handlebar is super comfortable and the new Tiagra 4700 shifts flawlessly. Wheels are hand built with Sun rims and Dura Ace 7400 hubs. Not a lightweight build at ~23lbs but just what I need for daily road rides.

Attachment 587346
Beautiful Bianchi! That Tiagra group looks right at home on it. I tend to think that modern all-black groupsets have been a blessing to Bianchi's in that Celeste looked/looks great with silver components back when they were new, but black components look great now that the bikes are C&V, giving them a sort of new aesthetic life. The contrast really pops. Plus, with Tiagra, you aren't spending a million dollars to look really good! 23 lbs, to me, is a very good weight to be at for a classic steel bike, especially with STIs and 10 speeds out back. The shift levers, in combination with the stem conversion, add up to make a really really nice and 'sure' feeling front end, both in and out of the saddle. Glad it has been so good for you; may it continue to be for many years to come!
Old 11-04-17, 11:30 AM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts

Result is truly a nice, thought out build. Keep the decals, makes it go faster?
Old 11-04-17, 11:44 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by dunrobin
Result is truly a nice, thought out build. Keep the decals, makes it go faster?
Thank you! I am keeping the decals as they do make me go faster.
Old 11-04-17, 12:11 PM
sanmi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Beautiful Bianchi! That Tiagra group looks right at home on it. I tend to think that modern all-black groupsets have been a blessing to Bianchi's in that Celeste looked/looks great with silver components back when they were new, but black components look great now that the bikes are C&V, giving them a sort of new aesthetic life. The contrast really pops. Plus, with Tiagra, you aren't spending a million dollars to look really good! 23 lbs, to me, is a very good weight to be at for a classic steel bike, especially with STIs and 10 speeds out back. The shift levers, in combination with the stem conversion, add up to make a really really nice and 'sure' feeling front end, both in and out of the saddle. Glad it has been so good for you; may it continue to be for many years to come!
Thanks! Glad you like it.

I agree this is a really affordable way for the mechanically inclined to procure an excellent performing bike. Especially with fantastic affordable modern group sets so readily available.

I also agree that the modern stem instills confidence. I had a traditional quill initially, which was fine, but I did notice the difference when I switched while riding aggressively.

This frame came to me in rough shape. I should pay some pics on the before and after thread later...
Old 11-04-17, 06:16 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 265 Posts
Another vote to keep the decals and you are right, Winter rain crud will tone them down in no time at all.
Don
Old 11-16-17, 08:29 PM
Stevensb 

Bikes: Condor, Cinelli SC, MKM Metcalfe, Peugeot AE08, Bianchi, Cougar, Miyata, Harry Hall, Holdsworth Special, Raleigh Int'l, Le Croco, Bob Jackson, Zeus

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 53 Posts
Stem question

Bike is gorgeous. What stem and bars combo do you have going there?

Thanks.

Brad

Originally Posted by Vonruden
Late 90's Sachs
Old 11-16-17, 08:36 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevensb
Bike is gorgeous. What stem and bars combo do you have going there?

Thanks.

Brad
Thanks! Nitto Craft stem with Nitto Noodle bars.
Old 11-20-17, 03:26 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I updated this 1989 Team Miyata with Campagnolo Athena. It's my first bike with brifters or a compact crankset. I can't say I think either one is that great.

Last edited by kingston; 11-24-17 at 10:41 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.