Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Old 06-27-14, 09:21 PM
nStyle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Are all Trek DS rims the same width?

Anyway I am looking at a 8.5 DS(2015) and am wondering what the narrowest and widest tyres I could fit on their rims?
I was wondering the same and found this: https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...-question.html

Apparently you could use practically any size. The stock tires are apparently a touch large for the stock rims.
Old 06-27-14, 09:55 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by nStyle
I was wondering the same and found this: https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...-question.html

Apparently you could use practically any size. The stock tires are apparently a touch large for the stock rims.
Thanks for that link.

But I am wondering what the actual inside rim measurement is on a Trek DS wheel.

In that thread, they were talking about 15 to 16mm, is this still the case?
Old 06-28-14, 11:50 AM
Dylj

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

picked up my new ride today just sat on it and felt comfortable and the reach was right the stand over height was perfect too, just thought I would add try to add a photo

hopefully it will work never posted a photo before

it doesn't so here is a link https://instagram.com/p/py-Yo_NxTs/
Old 06-28-14, 03:58 PM
Sojourner62

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rats, your right!

Originally Posted by Lanovran
If you have a 2013 8.3 with an NEX fork, then your bike may indeed be part of the recall. Here's an article with all the info: Trek, Scott recalling 125k bikes because of problem with SR Suntour fork | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

The NRX forks will be replaced with an RST Vita fork; however, there is a quicker fix for particular Suntour NEX, XCM, and XCT forks. The latter will simply require a new part, while the NRX will need the legs replaced. The difference lies in how the dropouts are attached.
Thanks for pointing this out. I went to my LBS and the rep confirmed I am in the catagory of needing a part replacement. He stated the parts come from California so it should only take "a couple of days" to get them in. We shall see. In the mean time they want me to drop off my bike and leave it. Hopefully I will have it back by next weekend.

Last edited by Sojourner62; 06-28-14 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-28-14, 05:00 PM
JimbotheScot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just ordered a 2015 8.3 DS

Can't wait, not had a bike for a long time

black one
Old 06-28-14, 08:40 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by Dylj
Hi

picked up my new ride today just sat on it and felt comfortable and the reach was right the stand over height was perfect too, just thought I would add try to add a photo

hopefully it will work never posted a photo before

it doesn't so here is a link Instagram
What size frame is that? I'm guess it is one of the smaller ones, as that top tube really slopes downwards towards the seat tube.

I like the angles that it presents.

What are your impressions after riding it?
Old 06-28-14, 11:55 PM
Dylj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi it's a 17.5 inch frame DS 8.6

i have not managed any distance yet as just after I took the photo it rained
Old 06-29-14, 05:07 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by JimbotheScot
Just ordered a 2015 8.3 DS

Can't wait, not had a bike for a long time

black one
Welcome to Bikeforums!
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-29-14, 06:43 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

I was chatting to one of the sales guys at a Trek store today and he said that the IsoZone on the Trek 8.6 & 8.5 DS models had put off potential buyers.

He didn't say that there was anything technically problematic with IsoZone, just that a lot of people didn't trust it/want to risk it.

On a separate note, Trek really needs to improve the images on its website of their bikes.

All the bikes looked so much better in the store than they do in the pictures that Trek runs with.
Old 06-29-14, 10:32 AM
Sojourner62

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wonder if the set up from their Boone lineup would be the solution. As it states in the description from the website smooth ride with no performance deficit. They would probably be reluctant to bring technology over from a more expensive bike line. What do others think, would this set up work for the DS line?

Quote from website
"IsoSpeed decoupler
A technological revolution. IsoSpeed isolates the seat tube from the rest of the frameset, doubling compliance and comfort with zero performance drawbacks."
Old 06-29-14, 10:53 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by Sojourner62
I wonder if the set up from their Boone lineup would be the solution. As it states in the description from the website smooth ride with no performance deficit. They would probably be reluctant to bring technology over from a more expensive bike line. What do others think, would this set up work for the DS line?

Quote from website
"IsoSpeed decoupler
A technological revolution. IsoSpeed isolates the seat tube from the rest of the frameset, doubling compliance and comfort with zero performance drawbacks."
I think the IsoSpeed decoupler first popped up in the Domane line, but as it has found its way to the Boone range, hopefully Trek will bring it to their hybrids one day.
Old 06-29-14, 11:59 AM
Sojourner62

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Agreed

I think the IsoSpeed decoupler first popped up in the Domane line, but as it has found its way to the Boone range, hopefully Trek will bring it to their hybrids one day.
Even if they just brought it initially to the top spot, the 8.6, or an "8.7" it might be compelling enough for some buyers to step up to the more expensive model. It would also lessen some of the concerns about durability.
Old 06-29-14, 03:38 PM
Hempdaddy

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.2 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a 2014 Trek 8.2 DS yesterday. After about 2 miles on the way home from the shop, my fingers started going numb. I've seen posts discussing this before, but would like to hear from you folks on what's the best thing to do about it.
Old 06-29-14, 05:21 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
On a separate note, Trek really needs to improve the images on its website of their bikes.

All the bikes looked so much better in the store than they do in the pictures that Trek runs with.
I will second that! I absolutely hate the way they portray the bikes on the site. I end up clicking on the "reviews" tab and pray that the owners who post include a picture. It amazes me that the marketing types don't realize their site does not do the bikes justice. Isn't the company website THE best place to showcase the goods? How about some HD great shots of the bikes?
Old 06-29-14, 08:57 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
For 2015, the IsoSpeed is on the 7.7 FX, maybe the DS will be next!
Old 06-30-14, 12:23 PM
Sojourner62

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any Update on Shock Recall?

Originally Posted by side_FX
Awesome. They should have done this in the first place. On another note does anybody have an update on the shock recall situation. My LBS pryed the bike out of my fingers when I took it in. They told me parts should be received in a couple of days and that I might have the back back by the weekend. My paranoia tells me they are just saying this to get me to leave quietly - lol. Has anyone actually had their shocks repaired and recieved their bike back to date?
Old 06-30-14, 07:52 PM
Lanovran

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by side_FX
Huh...well, I'll be. I didn't notice that little addition before. Thanks for pointing that out!
Old 06-30-14, 08:33 PM
blue_cheese

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My LBS also took the bike and said it should be about a week. They didn't exactly pry it, but I wasn't exactly eager to ride it until fixed either. I understand the chance of failure is slim, but none the less for some of my riding situations it can be very serious injury, I am not exactly cruising along in the local park.

From a liability perspective, I understand why they would "pry it". You are aware of the recall and the problem, they are aware, they are aware you are aware, and they physically had access to your bike. If they let you ride off on it without fixing it that would be one helluva lawsuit they can be setup for.

I dropped it off on Saturday, the owner pulled out a list of all the people that recalled bikes sold to at that location ( a long handwritten list, but long none the less) they promptly found my name and checked it on their list and said that it will be a week. Apologized and explained that they found out about the recall along with everyone else, so they received instructions late in the week and ordered an initial set of replacement forks to deal with the bikes they are expecting to see. Apparently the replacement forks should arrive mid this week (note that Tuesday is a holiday here in Canada), and they will replace the fork in day after so I can expect the bike back on Friday/Saturday, the time frame seems reasonable to me and I am happy with the way it is handled so far. Seems Trek takes better care of its customers than GM does
Old 07-01-14, 12:22 AM
ZOOTOOZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In searching the internet for information on the Trek/Suntour recall, I found this forum which I didn't know about, and which looks great. I have a 2013 DS 8.4 which is covered by the recall, and am wondering if anyone has had the RST Vita replacement fork installed yet. The reason i ask is that in looking for this fork online, I find that, although the technical specs are close to the Suntour, it seems to come in only black or white. My bike is the Lava Black/Sparkling Silver color scheme, which i really like, and feel would be mucked up by either black or white. Is Trek painting these forks to be consistent with the original color schemes, or are they just using the generic versions? Also, the generic versions of the Vita available online have humongous brazed-on cantilever brake bosses, which of course are completely unnecessary on the recalled bikes, and in my opinion look terrible without cantilever brakes. Is it wishful thinking to suppose that Trek is having the replacements customized to eliminate these. I have to admit that if they are only available in black or white with the unnecessary brake bosses, I am seriously contemplating taking a pass on the recall, especially because the failure rate is so ridiculously low.

Thanks, and I'm glad I found this forum.
Old 07-01-14, 05:46 AM
Sunsanvil

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hempdaddy
I bought a 2014 Trek 8.2 DS yesterday. After about 2 miles on the way home from the shop, my fingers started going numb. I've seen posts discussing this before, but would like to hear from you folks on what's the best thing to do about it.
Honestly, without knowing which frame size you are on, a description of yourself, and ideally a profile shot of you on the bike, we'd only be stabbing in the dark.

Last edited by Sunsanvil; 07-01-14 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-01-14, 05:55 AM
Sunsanvil

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZOOTOOZ
Is it wishful thinking to suppose that Trek is having the replacements customized to eliminate these. I have to admit that if they are only available in black or white with the unnecessary brake bosses, I am seriously contemplating taking a pass on the recall, especially because the failure rate is so ridiculously low.
Although the generic picture show the V brake mounts, like virtually all OEM forks it is available with and without to manufacturers so I really expect to see DB specific ones.

As to color, you have an absolutely valid point: My wife will be livid if the replacement isn't the same white-with-gold-trim that her Neko SL came with but I don't have high hopes. In order for them to do that they would have had to do a custom manufacture order with RST to include trek trim stickers...not likely something you can do on such short notice.
Old 07-01-14, 05:59 AM
Sunsanvil

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quick update: On Thursday (day after we all got the emails) I went to the shop we bought our DS and Neko from, gave them the serial numbers, they did a receipt reprint, and that was all they said they needed to enter a claim and get the forks ordered. Just waiting for the call to say they are in for us to get the bikes to them (which, without a bike rack, is no trivial matter for us).
Old 07-01-14, 08:59 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

In terms of Fork Colours matching original paint schemes, GOOD LUCK.

A friend of mine had a frame break on his Trek Mountain bike, a year or two after buying it, so they replaced his frame with the following year's model, because his model was no longer being made.

He went from a colour he really liked, to one he didn't like, plus it had a further mismatch on fork colours.
Old 07-01-14, 11:04 AM
Sojourner62

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"I wasn't exactly eager to ride it until fixed either. I understand the chance of failure is slim, but none the less for some of my riding situations it can be very serious injury, I am not exactly cruising along in the local park."

I agree that liability is their big concern and knew they would take the bike as soon as I brought it in. If I really had intended to keep it out of their grip I would not have brought it to the store. I hope my LBS is as fast as yours was BC. Sounds like they took good care of you. Recently I rode in one of the local metrics which was very hilly. I hit my top speed ever on the DS going down a particularly steep section (43 MPH according to bike computer). I ran out of pedal and had to just coast from the mid point on. That definitly came to mind when I heard about the recall. Still, the weather is in the mid 80s this week and I am missing the bike. If they don't have it back to me by next week I might have to go shopping!
Old 07-01-14, 09:47 PM
Hempdaddy

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.2 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunsanvil
Honestly, without knowing which frame size you are on, a description of yourself, and ideally a profile shot of you on the bike, we'd only be stabbing in the dark.
Important info... I am 5' 8", 200 lbs. (weight loss is my motivation for getting back on the bike). 17.5" frame, 700 wheels. Standard 8.2 DS with nothing really fancy. Bought it from LBS off the floor for $509.00. As mentioned before, on the way home from the LBS after about 2 miles, maybe less, my fingers started going numb. I found myself on the 5 mile ride having to ride alternating one hand to keep the feeling in them. Speed didn't make a difference. I think it's the angle of my arms to the bars maybe. It seems I am laying on the grips rather than just holding them. Seat height is appropriate to my leg length with leg very slightly bent on the lowest park of rotation. I'm thinking longer riser on the gooseneck but have heard good things about bar ends. I'm trying to avoid the bar ends just because I would rather maintain the clean look. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, the frame size is correct I think. My important parts are barely grazing the top rail when standing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.