Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

What are your favorite delivery services?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 02-22-17, 04:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

Groceries are challenging on a bike. We tried Safeway delivery, and found the produce lacking. They don't give you the items they would have chosen for themselves, they give you whatever is on the shelf. We switched to a service called Full Circle which brings fresh, local, organic produce to our door every Friday. We find the quality much better, and a lot of variety. As a result, my car stays parked.

What do you use?
Old 02-22-17, 05:05 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
When I was car-free I did all my shopping on a bike. I used panniers and messenger bag to transport all my groceries. The store at which I do majority of my shopping does have a delivery service but I never used it.
Old 02-22-17, 06:16 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A cargo trailer means not having to pay for grocery delivery in my case. I'm saving that option for when I'm injured or disabled though.
Old 02-22-17, 09:00 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I started a thread a little while ago here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...-services.html
Old 02-22-17, 09:04 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Personally, years ago I burned my left foot to the bone and couldn't get out to do anything. Couldn't walk at all.

During that time, I found a grocery delivery service ... a lady who had set that up as her business. I could email her my grocery list, select 1 or 2 preferred stores, and she charged 15% of my bill. So if my groceries came to $100, my total charge was $115. And she delivered right to my kitchen ... even put away the cold stuff when she discovered I was injured.

After I healed I used her service a few times when I was busy with school, work, and riding long distances.
Old 02-28-17, 12:43 PM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nobody here in town does that. I would definitely pony-up 15% to get fresh veg delivered to home. I just moved into the middle of my town, so, away from my favorite grocer. It's close to where I work, so, it's easy to grab what I need for a few days and carry it home.
The Farmer's Market is closer and should be open again for the year fairly soon, so, I'll probably go there for everything veg, hopefully some farm-fresh eggs as well.
There are a few places within walking distance to get basic staples, but, I'm trying to go as non-gmo for everything as I possibly can on my budget, so doing that less and less.
Old 02-28-17, 11:18 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I think using this service might be useful for hauling the heavy grocery items like dog food or bottled water. However, since I live across the street from the supermarket, I can't find myself using this service.

I would like to test them out by buying 20 gallons of water just to see how long it would take. Since I filter my water with Zero Water filter and Pure, it feels foolish to to go out and buy filtered water.
Old 03-04-17, 01:47 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Check out some unorthodox "delivery" services also. For example, a co-worker in another department brought me a dozen organic eggs a week for many years. She only charged $1 a dozen!

I got a beautiful Christmas wreath from a different co-worker every Advent season without fail. You just confirmed your order, then he brought in a couple hundred, all in one day. He charges $75 or $100 depending on size, so he's making some good extra money. But they're beautiful and well worth it. An added bonus was the fun of taking the wreath home on my bike, slung over my shoulder I felt like a Christmas angel.

Another co-worker sells burritos twice a year. Again, hundreds are delivered on one day, all special ordered. I forget the price, but it's well worth it. A little Mexican girl used to bring me a dozen homemade tamales every Saturday right to my door. $10, and she always asked if I wanted more nest week. Her parent was sitting in the car outside while she ran up to make the deliveries.

You have to keep your eyes and ears open to these special delivery deals. They usually aren't advertised.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-04-17, 08:16 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My local grocery store... half mile away... delivers for a $5 fee. However, I've never used it.

I'm a little old-fashioned I guess... a half mile bike ride isn't much of an inconvenience. I only do it once or twice a week.

I do have a friend who has a couple of cars and they use the service often. They like it.
Old 03-05-17, 07:25 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Groceries are challenging on a bike.
Get a bakfiets?
Old 03-05-17, 10:18 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Get a bakfiets?
Manhandling a bakfiets at any location including at home without groundfloor parking/storage and/or convenient freight elevators can be quite a chore in itself. Price/value of a bakfiets is another consideration if its intended use is principally grocery shopping.
Old 03-05-17, 12:16 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Manhandling a bakfiets at any location including at home without groundfloor parking/storage and/or convenient freight elevators can be quite a chore in itself. Price/value of a bakfiets is another consideration if its intended use is principally grocery shopping.
Agree. As well, they are pretty snug fits at most bike racks. I would think a small Burley + bike would be easier.
Old 03-05-17, 03:11 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd rather keep myself active and at peace with my environmental impacts.
Old 03-05-17, 03:18 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Usually just put the empty panniers on my bike before heading out for a club ride and then stop by the nearest grocery store on the way back home.
Old 03-10-17, 09:17 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Usually just put the empty panniers on my bike before heading out for a club ride and then stop by the nearest grocery store on the way back home.
I stop at the grocery store after long rides, but I tend to come home with a bunch of snack food.
Old 03-10-17, 10:03 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Now that I think about it, we actually do have some interesting delivery services in my town (in addition to the usual Schwann's). There's at least one milk/dairy delivery service (I honestly didn't know that these still existed) that will deliver milk, cheese, juice, and various dairy products.

The interesting one taking off in Western Wisconsin is CSA (Community Supported Agriculture; details here), where you can purchase a share and then pick up your weekly basket of in season produce from a drop-off location or have it delivered to your house, depending on the farm. I'm not sure if any of the meat producers do home delivery, but some of them have kids living in town and I bet if you knew the right people they'd bring it by.

I personally haven't used these services - I've found it just as easy to walk to the co-op for produce/meat and take the trailer + old MTB out for non-perishable items and low-end dairy products. I've also used Amazon Prime a few times for various items, and have been using Chewy.com for pet food since 2012.
Old 03-13-17, 08:30 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Delivery is frivolous. The only form I engage with is USPS and other carriers. I can get the rest myself.
Old 03-15-17, 05:28 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I sometimes can't carry everything I need on my bike. Since there are three people in my family now, shopping involves carrying more.

My local grocery store is nearby, so I can usually get the things I need, and just carry them home. But it sells mostly Japanese foods, so if I want American or other western foods, it involves a 15 minute ride to the National Market in Azabu. Luckily the National Market has a delivery service, and can usually get my groceries delivered within 2 or 3 hours.

A good thing about Japan is that there are many delivery service companies, which are fast, and relatively inexpensive.
Old 03-26-17, 08:54 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Agree. As well, they are pretty snug fits at most bike racks. I would think a small Burley + bike would be easier.
I got a Radwagon cargo bike, it can carry an amazing amount of stuff and its only 6" longer than my trelkking bike. In the next day or so my new 90L panniers should be here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
OrangeWagon_LeftSide.jpg (69.9 KB, 18 views)