Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trek seat post question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Trek seat post question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 09:11 PM
St8kout

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trek seat post question

So I got my new 2020 Domane SL5 and there was some grease at the top where the seat post inserts into the frame. Guess it piled up when they lowered the seat so it could fit in my car.

Anyway, I was raising the seat back up and the post is coated in grease, but the grease is gritty, like it's mixed with fine sand. Is this stuff supposed to be gritty? Never seen anything like that before.

On another note, I was given a packet: owner's manual, DVD, a bag of parts, the only thing of which I recognized was the orange plastic piece to insert between the brake pads after removing a wheel.
I expected to find info on these parts in the book after I got home...but there was nothing at all. So I played the DVD and it was just the same owner's manual I read and a prompt to register the bike. Where do I get info about all these pieces in the bag? The saleman didn't say anything about it.

I saw a basic assembly .pdf file on the Trek website, but it doesn't really tell me much.
Old 08-30-19, 09:13 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Yes it’s carbon paste.
Old 08-30-19, 09:16 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,588 Times in 1,223 Posts
The grit is to help hold the seatpost in carbon fiber. The spacers are so you don't accidently close the brakes...
Old 08-30-19, 09:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,852 Times in 2,302 Posts
That the full length of the post is coated is another positive. Post/tube corrosion usually starts at the post's bottom and if the assembly paste is lacking that portion of the post can often be unprotected. Andy
Old 08-30-19, 11:45 PM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
The little orange tab is for inserting between the disc brake pads in your brake calipers. In case you remove your wheel, they essentially take the place of the disc rotor whilst the wheel is out of place. This is to prevent the pistons of the brake from coming out too far if the brake lever is accidentally bumped whilst during transport/maintenance.

As others have said already, that "gritty grease" is carbon assembly compound. It is not actually a grease, what it is designed to do is to provide traction to carbon components and a barrier between said components (to prevent corrosion). Park Tools carbon assembly compound is SAC-2, other manufacturers might call their versions different names.
Old 08-31-19, 04:58 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
If you post a photo of the parts you aren’t sure about, folks here can probably ID them. Or just ask next time you’re at the LBS.
Old 08-31-19, 05:45 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Maybe ask the shop you bought the bike from what the other parts are for?