Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

FTP Test Question

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

FTP Test Question

Old 09-01-19, 11:58 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
That's kind of what I'm saying. Certainly you have to have enough training data for it to settle down and be meaningful, but what I wanted to emphasize was that once the numbers have settled down, they should only be interpreted in terms of the individual's unique capabilities. What might be an excessive training load for one person, might not be even close to the limit for another. To use the example of CTL, one person might be able to maintain a CTL of 85 for quite some time, while that might lead to overtraining for someone else. On the other hand, a third person could possibly handle a CTL of 115. Everyone needs to find those limits for themself.
Yes, exactly. I can run a CTL of 60 or so forever and peak at maybe 80, which isn't too bad in my view. Better than being dead. Next job after we finish training for and completing our annual 10-day backpack is to get back on the bike and try to get some sense into my power numbers. CTL will be pretty good, but wrong sport. I use HR off the bike and record all my fitness activities.
Old 09-06-19, 03:16 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I found an interesting article which explains several things I’ve noticed on my power curves in Strava. https://science4performance.com/2018...a-power-curve/

And it answers something I’ve wondered about. The article states that if your ride data includes several hard efforts, the 60 minute maximum power would match FTP closely if it showed weighted average power. Alas, Strava does not offer that metric. The power curve is showing average power.

Very interesting nonetheless. And a good explanation of what type of information can be learned from the curve.
For "weighted average power", see sin #7, https://wattmatters.blog/home/2008/0...adly-sins.html (and also see https://wattmatters.blog/home/2009/0...ing-ftp-2.html). Strava is based on Dr. Skiba PhysFarm Training System and "weighted average power" is xPower (as opposed to NP). The PMC is based of BikeScore as opposed to TSS. xPower uses a 25 second moving average while NP, 30 second. Remaining algorithm is the same for both. If you effort is fairly steady, there's not much of a difference.

As far as the PDC, 60 minutes mean maximal power may or may not be your FTP. It likely true for highly trained individual. That correlation between critical power and FTP is more likely also for the highly trained. It DOES NOT hold true for everyone. The inflection point the article refers to can be anywhere from 30 to 70 minutes. It highly individual. An note the use of "rough estimate". It can be very rough.
Old 09-07-19, 06:51 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Steady power. That makes sense, especially if I’ll be using the average power result.

My aim is to get an accurate basis for keeping up with exertion levels vs recovery. If I use an FTP that’s too high I’m likely to over train. If I use an FTP that’s too low I’ll under train. Neither is the end of the world, but I’d like to get it right, especially for predicting where I’m likely to over train and need more recovery. I ride every day because I enjoy it. Some days I need to ride with less effort to aid recovery. I’m not currently getting that right and several times a month I’m getting really tired. With a correct FTP to plug into Strava, well, that seems like a good place to start.

No, you won't. Your body has no idea whether or not you're doing an interval at 270 watts or 280 watts. That's probably pretty close to your powermeters margin of error, so it probably doesn't either!

The notion that you have to train to a particular number is unrealistic and a total waste of time. That's why there are ranges to begin with, and why, at the end of the day, the computer on your bike isn't as useful as the computer in your heard. If you're tired, take it easy. If you're not hit it harder or longer.

If you need recovery, don't ride at all. Less effort to aid recovery is a bit of a misnomer. A ride is stress. Ideally you're doing rides that both induce adaptation while also allowing for an even harder ride in the following days, but you're still going to be more tired than you would be with a day off.

Predicting how your body is going to respond to any particular set of training is as much art as science. For most everyone, the actual riding aspect is only one part of physical/mental/emotional stress.

Getting hung up on any particular number like ftp is really a waste of mental energy and an exercise in frustration.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-11-19, 01:42 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,023 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by kcjc
For "weighted average power", see sin #7 , https://wattmatters.blog/home/2008/0...adly-sins.html (and also see https://wattmatters.blog/home/2009/0...ing-ftp-2.html). Strava is based on Dr. Skiba PhysFarm Training System and "weighted average power" is xPower (as opposed to NP). The PMC is based of BikeScore as opposed to TSS. xPower uses a 25 second moving average while NP, 30 second. Remaining algorithm is the same for both. If you effort is fairly steady, there's not much of a difference.

As far as the PDC, 60 minutes mean maximal power may or may not be your FTP. It likely true for highly trained individual. That correlation between critical power and FTP is more likely also for the highly trained. It DOES NOT hold true for everyone. The inflection point the article refers to can be anywhere from 30 to 70 minutes. It highly individual. An note the use of "rough estimate". It can be very rough.
Thanks for the links, I'll go read.

-Matt
Old 09-11-19, 02:18 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,023 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
No, you won't. Your body has no idea whether or not you're doing an interval at 270 watts or 280 watts. That's probably pretty close to your powermeters margin of error, so it probably doesn't either!

The notion that you have to train to a particular number is unrealistic and a total waste of time. That's why there are ranges to begin with, and why, at the end of the day, the computer on your bike isn't as useful as the computer in your heard. If you're tired, take it easy. If you're not hit it harder or longer.

If you need recovery, don't ride at all. Less effort to aid recovery is a bit of a misnomer. A ride is stress. Ideally you're doing rides that both induce adaptation while also allowing for an even harder ride in the following days, but you're still going to be more tired than you would be with a day off.

Predicting how your body is going to respond to any particular set of training is as much art as science. For most everyone, the actual riding aspect is only one part of physical/mental/emotional stress.

Getting hung up on any particular number like ftp is really a waste of mental energy and an exercise in frustration.
Strava's power estimate is about 45 watts higher than what I think it might actually be (my best 60 minute power average), so 4.5x the difference you mention. Otherwise, point taken.

What I'm trying to accomplish is not taking days off, if I can help it, as I really enjoy riding. Some days I have really strong rides, other days not so much. This seems to be working as my 6-week power numbers are, with just a couple of exceptions, the same as my 2019 numbers, out to 4 hours. Now, the numbers might obviously look better with a better training plan.

As for art vs. science, I agree completely. Currently it's like I'm painting with my elbows.

-Matt
Old 09-16-19, 05:32 AM
rubiksoval

Strava's power estimate is about 45 watts higher than what I think it might actually be (my best 60 minute power average), so 4.5x the difference you mention. Otherwise, point taken.

-Matt
But for all practical purposes, that doesn't matter. Let's say something tells you your threshold is 30% higher than actual (or 10%, or 50%). So you go out to do a 2 x 30 minute workout at that FTP. 5 mins in you realize the folly of your attempt.

You back it off and do something manageable. You attempt the second one and fail that, indicating the first one was still too high.

What do you do a few days later when attempting that second workout?

Training is testing...Do what you can do within the context of appropriately planned workouts/structure and the numbers will essentially take care of themselves.

Again, training is really not complicated (despite the forum topics and articles). It can be in regards to some very specific circumstances, but very few need that type of attention, and those that do generally have a pretty good idea about it anyway.
Old 06-01-20, 08:06 AM
FaithBishop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great info. Thanks
Old 06-02-20, 01:52 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
You have data, use the data. If the workout is too difficult, lower watts or duration. It it's too easy, raise watts or duration. FTP may not be meaningless, but I surmise that the way it's used by many renders it essentially meaningless. Your body is not a machine. Ride to your body, not your FTP number.
That's all fine and good, but my main use of my FTP value is not to govern what goes on in a ride, but for retrospective analyses.
Old 06-02-20, 01:55 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by asgelle
That's all fine and good, but my main use of my FTP value is not to govern what goes on in a ride, but for retrospective analyses.
My response was for the OP before I realized this thread was a year old.

And I'd already replied to it.