Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

high performance 16" and 20" slicks?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 09:22 AM
Bushman
Grumbly Goat

Bikes: bicycles with round wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

give me some brand names for high performance/ high pressure rated 16" and 20" slicks (totally slick, no grooves). Looking for tires that can hold up to 100lbs psi.
Old 07-17-07, 10:29 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Totally slick:
Schwalbe Stelvio

I think there's going to be more to this question? I don't necessarily recommend Stelvios.
Old 07-17-07, 05:46 PM
Bushman
Grumbly Goat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well i used to use the Continental Slciks (26" TOTALLY slick) they gripped like glue on high speed sharp corners and were pretty dang good in the rain too. I want to find something like that, but in a 20" or 16" size for a 'bent i might build.

I'll check out the Schwalbe Stelvio's, thanks!
Old 07-17-07, 07:47 PM
Shaman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only one choice in those sizes: Greenspeed Scorchers
https://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/...ory=1127163617
https://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/...ory=1135183977
There is also Schwalbe Kojak in 20" x 1.35":
https://schwalbetires.com/node/1182/ok
Old 07-17-07, 08:29 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Stelvios have a rep for giving a good ride and grip, but I consider them suitable for racing only. There's a good assortment of reasonably fast non-slick road tires for 20", but not a lot of choices for 16". IMHO the amount of tread you'll find on most of them isn't going to be enough to affect the performance.
Old 07-17-07, 09:46 PM
Bushman
Grumbly Goat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are EXACTLY what i want!! (greenspeed Scorchers), thank you very much for the link!

Old 07-18-07, 05:32 AM
Wheelchairman
Bendigo Youth Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bushman. What are you riding? A bike or a trike? I think that's the most important issue
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Totally slick:
Schwalbe Stelvio

I think there's going to be more to this question? I don't necessarily recommend Stelvios.
Schwalbe Stelvio. Small wall thickness, pretty soft wall at that and not much contact patch. I don't know what experience you've had with stevilos on a 2-wheeler, but I'm sure they're generally good. The stevilo, with it's small, soft wall and small contact patch and profile has been a bad experience for me in our 3-wheelers, with our team recently losing our 1st race ever running them for only 150minutes! Here's proof.

Some teams do run them without issues, so it depends on your trikes steering geometry, but generally they don't suit trikes. I would however reccommend Primo Comets or Greenspeed scorchers in 16" for a trike, and you can't go past the Tioga Comp-pool as a fully slick 20". They are outstandingly grippy, in dry or wet.
Old 07-18-07, 07:44 AM
BlazingPedals

Originally Posted by Wheelchairman
Schwalbe Stelvio. Small wall thickness, pretty soft wall at that and not much contact patch. I don't know what experience you've had with stevilos on a 2-wheeler, but I'm sure they're generally good.
Not me! I've owned 6 Stelvios. Not a one of them wore out; they all suffered structural failure of one kind or another. The 406 version especially seems to like delaminating the cord, resulting in a wavy contact strip. In the pic here, the rim is true; only the tire carcass is crooked.

edit: I agree, they're entirely too fragile and short-lived to use on a trike.
Old 07-19-07, 02:28 AM
Wheelchairman
Bendigo Youth Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not me! I've owned 6 Stelvios. Not a one of them wore out; they all suffered structural failure of one kind or another. The 406 version especially seems to like delaminating the cord, resulting in a wavy contact strip. In the pic here, the rim is true; only the tire carcass is crooked.

edit: I agree, they're entirely too fragile and short-lived to use on a trike.
Incredible . What kind of punishment do you put them through, BlazingPedals, if any?

Just to elaborate on my previous post about the Schwarbles. My experience was that the huge lateral loads our tadpole (and every other tadpole the world over!) produced forced the contact patch to.....uhhh.......shall we say "no longer contact". The sidewall is very weak and thin and complicates the contact patches issues. There are 2 outcomes, 1 certain. The certainty is understeer. Initial turn-in transformed into an artform, with our vehicle falling into understeer if u turned-in too fast. Not to mention the midcorner understeer and understeer experienced if you tried to pedal out of a corner- many off track excursions through that .
The other outcome would be a pinch flat. We never had one in the 150 minutes the tyres lasted, yet it was obvious it was bound to happen. The tyre wall was extremely damaged, indicating that the tyre wall was acting as a contact patch at some stages .

Of course, this may be an isolated case. Some production trikes may not experience such problems, due to more relaxed steering geometry. But I still would never use them ever again. There are much better "trike friendly" tyres out there, such as what I listed in my previous post
Old 07-19-07, 04:53 AM
Bushman
Grumbly Goat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow!! look at that

oh, i'm building up a low to the ground trike, someone asked about this. for most of my bikes i run Conti slicks, but they are getting really hard to find up here.
Old 07-19-07, 07:34 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have a 28-406 Stelvio on the front of my Fujin. So lets say I want to replace it with another 28-406 high performance tire what would you suggest?
Old 07-19-07, 07:59 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the other hand, I've had extremely good success with Schwalbe Marathon tires on my trike. I suspect that I'll wear them out before they fail. And so far, I'm on my way to wearing them out before getting a single flat! *knock on wood* and all that...
Old 07-19-07, 09:38 AM
BlazingPedals

For 28x406 the choices seem to be Stelvio, Continental Grand Prix, or Continental Sport Contact. I've got a few of the latter, complete with sucky reflective sidewall. I'd say they're only marginally slower than the other two, but I haven't run them enough to say more than that. When Sport Contacts originally came out, Conti warrantied them against flats, but the terms of the warranty were a joke - had to prove you were using a Conti tube and had to send the tire in to them for analysis. Like I'm going to do that instead of patching it and riding!

If I were allowed a small rant here, I'd complain about the fact that most lowracers (which are built for speed) use a 406 BMX rim in front and a 559 mountain bike rim in back. Why don't all lowracers use 451/622?
Old 07-19-07, 10:32 AM
Bushman
Grumbly Goat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For 28x406 the choices seem to be Stelvio, Continental Grand Prix, or Continental Sport Contact. I've got a few of the latter, complete with sucky reflective sidewall. I'd say they're only marginally slower than the other two, but I haven't run them enough to say more than that. When Sport Contacts originally came out, Conti warrantied them against flats, but the terms of the warranty were a joke - had to prove you were using a Conti tube and had to send the tire in to them for analysis. Like I'm going to do that instead of patching it and riding!

If I were allowed a small rant here, I'd complain about the fact that most lowracers (which are built for speed) use a 406 BMX rim in front and a 559 mountain bike rim in back. Why don't all lowracers use 451/622?
rant away!! i too hate discrepancies like that. I like to be able to carry ONE size of tube with me.
Old 07-19-07, 10:41 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aren't there more tires available in 406 and 559 sizes?
Old 07-19-07, 01:23 PM
BlazingPedals

Originally Posted by jeff-o
Aren't there more tires available in 406 and 559 sizes?
There are more tires available in 406 vs 451, but they're all fat. I think Stelvio has a 25mm, all others are 28mm and fatter. OTOH, the 451 size is a road size. 451 tires range from 18mm to 37mm. My rant was related specifically to lowracers, but could apply to any current 26/20 bent that's primarily meant for road and has any pretensions of being fast. (For touring, the 406/559 is a fine combination.)

622 is the standard 700C tire, so all the choices available to roadies would be available to a bent using that size. 700C wouldn't have many tires available that are wider than 38mm; but there are zillions of choices between 23 and 28mm, compared to only a handful of 559s that are 25-28mm.
Old 07-20-07, 12:01 AM
Shaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stelvio's are the scurge of Schwalbe tires. Their construction definitely doesn't lend itself to trike use.

I think that the Schwalbe Kojaks ( https://schwalbetires.com/node/1183/ok ) will be the closest you will come to BMX/MTB rim-sizes and narrow (35/1.35"). These have been describes as a having a "sticky" compound and would be consistent with Schwalbe's wear rating. 215 grams for 35-406 should be a very competetive tire.
Old 07-20-07, 07:11 AM
Wheelchairman
Bendigo Youth Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shaman
Stelvio's are the scurge of Schwalbe tires. Their construction definitely doesn't lend itself to trike use.
It's funny. Why does what is basically a 16" roadbike tyre even exist? I can't really see a market for it. 20" and up will obviously sell, but 16"?
Old 07-20-07, 08:47 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I had the Conti Sport Contacts on my Taifun and they were not bad for speed, but they are really heavy. I ordered up some Kojaks which are lighter and wider. I am having a rear wheel issue on that bike so I haven't been able to test them out yet - hopefully next week.

BTW - on my Fujin I am running 28-406 Stelvio on front and 23-571 Vredestein tire. That wheel size combination isn't bad because the front wheel is so small and loaded heavily I wouldn't want a narrower lower volume tire for street use. On the back the lightly loaded rear can use a 23mm tire with no worries.

If the Stelvios let me down I guess I'll give the Conti GPs a try. I've had success with them on my DF road bike.
Old 07-28-07, 10:38 AM
trailwarrior

Bikes: 2014 Muru Mungo, 2014 Surly ECR, 2006 HP Velotechnik Scorpion,2001 ICE Trice Micro,1995 Specialized Globe 7,1979 Schwinn LeTour IV Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's funny. Why does what is basically a 16" roadbike tyre even exist? I can't really see a market for it. 20" and up will obviously sell, but 16"?
I find the 16" Schwalbe Stelvio to be the best tire available for my Trice Micro front wheels. I don't run these tires on the rear of my trike because I want the largest diameter available for max speed. I was running Schwalbe Marathons on the rear until I switched to Greenspeed Scorchers. I am very happy with my current tire combination.

https://dse-trikes.blogspot.com

I had problems with wear on the Stelvios when I first bought the trike because the front wheels were not properly aligned. It is amazing how fast these tires wear if the wheels are out of alignment. I bet I didn't get more than 100 miles out of a new set. Since I did the wheel alignment I have hundreds of miles on these tires and the most wear they have shown is from me locking up the wheels with the hydraulic disc brakes.

I wish Continental Grand Prixs were available in 16" as well. I am currently running a pair of 20" contis on my HP Scorpion and those are really great tires also.
Old 07-28-07, 04:12 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Bite your tongue...errrr....I mean typing fingers! My wife's trike uses a 16" road tire for the front wheel!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-28-07, 10:24 PM
Wheelchairman
Bendigo Youth Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Bite your tongue...errrr....I mean typing fingers! My wife's trike uses a 16" road tire for the front wheel!
so it has a 18-22mm tyre wall?
Old 08-17-07, 03:23 AM
mulzi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that on trikes that I have built and raced I've have never had a problem with stelvios. I think steering geometry would have a lot to do with the wear of the tire.

I believe the 16" stelvios were originally made for racing wheelchairs. I know in the past they have been listed under "racing wheelchair" in the dealer catalog (in australia anyway)
Old 08-17-07, 05:47 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mulzi
I know that on trikes that I have built and raced I've have never had a problem with stelvios. I think steering geometry would have a lot to do with the wear of the tire.
+1

I have a set of Stelvios I often ride on my trike with -- I love 'em. Nice fast tire with a decent ride. While they're not super durable, neither is any racing tire, and I don't have concerns about unusual wear. However, they are very thin, so I wouldn't ride them where there is lots of debris.