Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Ace Speedway Roll Call & Race Reports

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-09, 06:55 AM
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since quite a few of us will be doing these 14 races, I've decided to start a separate thread. First one is tomorrow night, who's in?

https://www.ncsccyclingassoc.com/Link...cU%3d&tabid=56
Old 04-06-09, 08:58 AM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm planning on doing a few this season. I just have to work out the logistics.
Old 04-07-09, 01:19 PM
truckin
road rash/tree burn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As usual, I'll be out there for Ace.
Old 04-08-09, 05:49 AM
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pulled some, sat on some, closed some gaps, had no sprint. Mid pack finish. They've changed the C race to 4/5 this year so it was faster but that's a good thing. There's some strong guys out there this year. Both the C & B races were lapped by small breaks. Even though my legs didn't feel super strong, I'm definitely getting more comfortable w/ handling, taking wheels away from people, etc.

It was also very cold an and very windy. I kept coughing after my race and now I have a weird chest thing. Great.
Old 04-08-09, 05:58 AM
truckin
road rash/tree burn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A buddy of mine was in both of the early races and was in the move that lapped each field. He won both of them- it was a good night for him. He's been riding a long time and is good and strong, plus he can light it up when the sprint comes; but he's new to racing, so he's just working his way up the categories.

A move of two lapped the A field as well- a buddy of mine and me. He took two of the primes, I took the third. He made sure I got the win since I'll come out for more of the Aces than he'll be able to. Small field, but we still had fun riding around.
Old 04-08-09, 06:17 AM
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you talking about the guy w/ the Kane jersey on the Fuji? I wanted to stay for the A race but it was cold and I was already starting to feel not so great.

I need some of your mojo.
Old 04-08-09, 06:20 AM
truckin
road rash/tree burn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, well, I was lucky to have my buddy out yesterday. He's a whole lot stronger than I am, and I couldn't have done the ride I did yesterday without him to do a lot of the work.

No, the guy who won the B and C races was in a light blue jersey with Cane Creek's logo on it, riding a white Cannondale with 404s or something along those lines.

You made the right call leaving last night with the cold and wind, but it's worth it to stick around to watch the A race when it's nicer out, so do that next time...
Old 04-22-09, 06:40 AM
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4/21 | Cat 4/5 "C" Race

Definitely looked like more 4's found out that they changed the C race from 5 only to 4/5. Good news for the 4's looking for points, bad news for the first timers. Started off flying from the start. Last week 2 got away on the first lap and ended up lapping the field. People were making sure that it didn't happen again. I ended up pulling the field up to about 6 in that first lap, with only 1 foot clipped in. Spent a lot of time in the back after that effort. At 8 to go I finally STFU and started moving up on the sides when the group would slow. I was in the top 10 going into the final 2 or 3 laps and ended up finishing 12/28. I would've gained a few more spots but the guy in front of me sat up before the line. It's still my best finish out there and I keep improving. Add to the fact that our avg was 26mph and I'll take it.

My first real ride w/ the powertap. All my peaks (2'/1'/30"/5") were from that first lap. Avg cadence was higher than I would've thought too. Here's some graphs and stuff per Wanders request.

Old 04-22-09, 06:56 AM
truckin
road rash/tree burn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LJ- nice to meet you last night. Be happy you guys at least got to race! I hate driving all the way out there, get dressed, and get on the track... only to feel the rain starting to fall. Somehow it seems we always manage to get the C and B races in, but never the A. Frustrating. That happened way too many times last year, and this year's not starting out much better.
Old 05-20-09, 06:58 AM
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've cross posted some of this so excuse me if you keep reading the same thing.

The past few weeks I was starting to feel not so great about my training & racing. Did "OK" in a very hot 5's race but dropped quickly in the 4/5 right after. Wasn't feeling great on the fast group rides either. Catted up to 4 anyway. Then, I was dropped within 2 laps of my first race as a 4 (3/4 race). Took the rest of last week completely off. Even when I thought maybe I should do something, I did nothing. Monday rolled around, did some leg openers. Raced last night, 4/5 - pack finish, 3/4 - pack finish, with gas left in the tank.

Differences between the C & B race. C race actually started off way faster than the B race. A few sketchy moments but that's expected. I kept getting boxed in and was frustrated at my inability (lack of balls) to move up inside the pack. I kept taking fliers up the side to advance. Some guys got away early and lapped the field. I need to be more aware and make the moves.

B race was smooth and relatively easy. A few taxing moments but I never felt in trouble. It was cool to look over and see the same guys I've been watching from the stands. Also, I felt like I kept a better position within the pack for this race. Less sketchy but I did see a few aggressive moves that made me nervous. 2 or 3 wrecked w/ 3 to go and we were neutralized for a couple of laps. After that I just stayed towards the back and finished my first B race.

I'm excited again and looking forward to more racing. It was cool to see ilpirata again and, as usual, watch truckin kill the A race.