Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Observations on the TdF Broadcast: What Paul Sherwen really brought to the Tour

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-25-19, 11:00 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

We've had a couple weeks of the Tour de France broadcast and I thought it might be time for a few observations . . .

Paul Sherwen -- What did he really bring to the broadcast? Racing experience and expertise, of course, but having now experienced Bob Roll, I have a greater appreciation for Sherwen's professionalism. Sherwen always appeared prepared. When he read those inane travelogue scripts about the castles and churches and historical events, it sounded as if he knew and cared about them. You never got the impression he was reading from the promoter's script. With Phil and Bob? We've now seen a glimpse behind the curtain. Whenever the cameras pick up an historic landmark, they obviously scramble to find the script. And read it poorly.

Bob Roll -- What does he bring? Like Sherwen, he's got pro peloton experience. But he also brings a great sense of humor. Did you see him on the pre-ride wearing tourist garb on the bike, descending at 45+ mph? Dark knee socks, Bermuda shorts, and a bowling-style shirt. Classic.

And what about the abbreviated highlight shows? Didn't they used to broadcast a 1-hour highlight show in the evenings? I watch every minute of the Tour, but I've got to admit that there are days (sprint stages) when an hour of highlights would be enough. I hesitate to recommend that a newbie watch the Tour (sprint stages) because most people can't tolerate 5 1/2 hours of abject nothingness (sprint stages) to get to the exciting 300 meter sprint. I think they need to bring back the 1-hour highlight show. It would be good for ratings and for the sport.

Finally, it's a shame that Froome was injured and unable to race. But it's a vastly better Tour without him. Best TdF in a decade or more.

Those are my two cents. Any other observations?

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 07-25-19 at 11:04 AM.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 07-25-19, 11:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
My cat messes up his English less often than Bob Roll.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-25-19, 11:24 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Which commercial was Bob Roll in? All I see when I watch the Tour De France is commercials.
Old 07-25-19, 12:16 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by Sojodave
Which commercial was Bob Roll in? All I see when I watch the Tour De France is commercials.
There ARE a ton of commercials. I'm thankful for DVR -- skip right through them. (Otherwise, I'm not sure I would make it through the broadcast.) But I'm glad they are able to sell so many commercials. That should keep the TdF broadcast alive.
Old 07-25-19, 12:30 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
We've had a couple weeks of the Tour de France broadcast and I thought it might be time for a few observations . . .

Paul Sherwen -- What did he really bring to the broadcast? Racing experience and expertise, of course, but having now experienced Bob Roll, I have a greater appreciation for Sherwen's professionalism. Sherwen always appeared prepared. When he read those inane travelogue scripts about the castles and churches and historical events, it sounded as if he knew and cared about them. You never got the impression he was reading from the promoter's script. With Phil and Bob? We've now seen a glimpse behind the curtain. Whenever the cameras pick up an historic landmark, they obviously scramble to find the script. And read it poorly.

Bob Roll -- What does he bring? Like Sherwen, he's got pro peloton experience. But he also brings a great sense of humor. Did you see him on the pre-ride wearing tourist garb on the bike, descending at 45+ mph? Dark knee socks, Bermuda shorts, and a bowling-style shirt. Classic.

And what about the abbreviated highlight shows? Didn't they used to broadcast a 1-hour highlight show in the evenings? I watch every minute of the Tour, but I've got to admit that there are days (sprint stages) when an hour of highlights would be enough. I hesitate to recommend that a newbie watch the Tour (sprint stages) because most people can't tolerate 5 1/2 hours of abject nothingness (sprint stages) to get to the exciting 300 meter sprint. I think they need to bring back the 1-hour highlight show. It would be good for ratings and for the sport.

Finally, it's a shame that Froome was injured and unable to race. But it's a vastly better Tour without him. Best TdF in a decade or more.

Those are my two cents. Any other observations?
Good observations. I miss Paul but I also like Bob. I think he's done a good job of filling Paul's spot. He certainly doesn't have the proper (British? South Africian?) accent but does bring some goofiness to the team.

Check out NBC Sports YouTube chanel for a good 10-15 minute summary of the day. https://www.youtube.com/user/2012NBCOlympics/videos I've been watching those the last couple of days to get through the sprint stages, but you bet I'm going to be on the couch for tonight, Friday and Saturday to wach the final mountain stages. No spoilers please!
Old 07-25-19, 08:32 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
The day I figured out how to watch Eurosport was the day I finally enjoyed watching the TdF on TV.

Having to listen to any of the guys on American broadcasts is torture.

I prefer to listen to the race in Dutch or German or some other language I can't comprehend than watch the NBC show.

Oh, and no commercials when there's something happening in the race!
Old 07-25-19, 08:41 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
Paul did a great job with the side notes about he various castles etc. While I'm sure Paul was just reading crib notes, it definitely sounds like Bob is in fact reading.

Pual's interactions with Phil were seamless, and Bob's at this point are awkward. This is to be expected, given the years Phil and Paul worked together.

On a positive, i think Phil has upped his game. Without Paul to rely on to correct his mistake, i think Phil is sharper.

On the negative, I think the "Paul" roll Bob now plays limits the inner Bobke.

I personally like Bobke in a more free wheeling commentary roll.

Time will tell if Bob grows into the shoes of Paul.

But for now to paraphrase Loyd Benson, " I knew Paul, and you sir, are no Paul"
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-25-19, 08:44 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
The day I figured out how to watch Eurosport was the day I finally enjoyed watching the TdF on TV.

Having to listen to any of the guys on American broadcasts is torture.

I prefer to listen to the race in Dutch or German or some other language I can't comprehend than watch the NBC show.

Oh, and no commercials when there's something happening in the race!
well listening to Sean Kelley on Eurosport, your already not listening in English.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-26-19, 08:25 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
On a positive, i think Phil has upped his game. Without Paul to rely on to correct his mistake, i think Phil is sharper.
Absolutely correct. In the past two or three years, I've begun to wonder if Phil should retire. He seemed a little addled at times . . . and sometimes a lot addled. But this year, he's definitely back on his game. Much sharper.
Old 07-26-19, 08:31 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,729 Times in 2,756 Posts
well listening to Sean Kelley on Eurosport, your already not listening in English.
Exactly! English through a mouthful of mashed potato sandwich.

I still like it, and it's very different than the NBC one.
Old 07-26-19, 08:33 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
On the negative, I think the "Paul" roll Bob now plays limits the inner Bobke.

I personally like Bobke in a more free wheeling commentary roll.
Having watched some of his YouTube channel in recent years (Bobke TV), I was shocked to see this smiling, polo-shirt wearing, clean shaven Bobke on the Tour coverage. The inner Bobke needs to be released!

He does have a good TV voice, though. Almost Bob Costas-like.

I like the guy. They need to keep him around.
Old 07-26-19, 10:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
According to Roll, there is a country called Argen-teeny-ya. It must be an extremely small country.
Old 07-26-19, 11:08 AM
here hold my ha

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS

He does have a good TV voice, though. Almost Bob Costas-like.
Unlike Chris Horner.
Old 07-26-19, 02:09 PM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sherwen annoyed me often with these simplistic explanations about cycling and why things are happening over and over...every broadcast he would repeat the same things like a bunch of people are watching that never rode a bike ever or seen cycling at times.

There were times when he was good as a former racer, and he was a very generous person and good human being/citizen to the World.
Old 07-26-19, 03:35 PM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
I have to say that I'm kinda enjoying the travellogue that Bob and Phil are providing. Makes me feel like I'm getting a bit of a long distance, fly over vacation in France.

Loved the yellow sheep that the farmers and dogs were herding into the jersey shaped corral the other day. THAT was innovative
Likes For ronin4740:
Old 07-26-19, 03:53 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Paul was one of my favorite announcers in all sport and I miss him as I knew I would. Not to say Bob is doing a bad job but those are some huge shoes to fill. And I totally agree about Paul's professionalism in presenting the interesting sights and sounds throughout the race. He was always prepared and even though he was reading from a script I'm sure, he did make it sound like he wasn't. Plus, I always had the impression he was a pretty sharp individual and enjoyed always enjoyed listening to him.
Old 07-26-19, 04:17 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
My cat messes up his English less often than Bob Roll.
And would know the route better and recognize riders better on sight than either Phil or Paul.
Old 07-26-19, 04:27 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
There's a great discussion from 7 months ago between LA and Bob Roll as to who would ever fill Paul's shoes, what a great man Paul was, etc. The man was practically a a saint. Couldn't climb worth a damn though. Sherwen discussion begins at 34:15, I found it riveting.

One of the things Armstrong said about Raul Alcala proved kinda prophetic, when he speculated how huge it would have been for the sport had Alcala, a Mexican, won the Tour. Now in this year's race, we have a situation where a Colombian may win the Tour for the firsr time. I can only imagine the dollar signs the bike industry must be seeing right about now, should Bernal ride into Paris in yellow. South America is a huge market.
Old 07-26-19, 05:12 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I followed your link and arrived at a page full of NFL videos. Such is the case when crossing international borders. I will continue to search the site and see what I can find. Here, the only video I have access to is the 6 1/2 minute GCN things.
Old 07-26-19, 05:43 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I believe you are the same person who was having the board software doing some really bizarre auto-censoring of your posts. Your luck with the internet seems terrible. I don't know any other way to hear the podcast, other than maybe on a phone. It's the "The Bob Roll Interview" from late 2018, or early 2019. Search for "Lance Armstrong Podcast".
Old 07-26-19, 09:02 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by zigmeister
Sherwen annoyed me often with these simplistic explanations about cycling and why things are happening over and over...every broadcast he would repeat the same things like a bunch of people are watching that never rode a bike ever or seen cycling at times.

There were times when he was good as a former racer, and he was a very generous person and good human being/citizen to the World.
You also have to consider the audienc. The way you comment on the Tour de France, which draws an audience including many casual fans, is different from the way you comment on De Ronde.

Just as commentators calling the Super Bowl dumb down the Analyis the would do for Monday night football
Old 07-26-19, 09:13 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
While I miss Paul, Bob is doing a helluva good job.
Old 07-26-19, 09:16 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I like vendevelde and Horner they were great additions in the last few years or so
Old 07-27-19, 06:39 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Phil Liggett absolutely drives me nuts. He refuses to try to pronounce riders names in their actual language. His latest pronunciation of Matteo Trentin as Trenton as in the capitol of NJ makes me crazy. I know you're British but, really, it's not that hard.
Old 07-28-19, 05:51 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Not a big fan of Chris Horner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.