Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Installing compression plug

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-01-10, 12:47 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hi.
My fork arrived with a compression plug. The package had the plug itself and some kind of cylinder (bottom of the picture). What is the cylinder for? Also for installation itself just slide it all the way in and turn the screw to 20-30 in/lb, and that's it?

Thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 11-01-10, 06:43 AM
DaveSSS

Bikes: Look KG461, Colnago C-RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
See if the expanding plug fits snugly in the split cylinder, then see if that assembly fits into the steering tube. If so, then the cylinder at the bottom of the picture protects the steering tube from damage. Most expanding plugs bear directly against the steerer.
Old 11-01-10, 11:15 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS View Post
See if the expanding plug fits snugly in the split cylinder, then see if that assembly fits into the steering tube. If so, then the cylinder at the bottom of the picture protects the steering tube from damage. Most expanding plugs bear directly against the steerer.
Yep plug fits in to the cylinder and both fit in to the steering tube. I have a follow up question. After it is installed, can it be removed? I don't see why not, but you never know. The fork is not pre-cut. I want to finish the assembly, get fitted then cut it based on the fit.

Thanks.
Old 11-01-10, 01:26 PM
DaveSSS

Bikes: Look KG461, Colnago C-RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Sure it can be removed, assuming that the center bolt pulls on the lower cone, expanding the plug. Just loosen the bolt and it should be removable. Just loosen the center bolt a little and give the hex wrench a tap to push the conical expander down a bit, releasing the plug.

That center bolt should have internal threads in the top, so a top cap bolt can be threaded into it.