Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Old 05-13-16, 02:15 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I still have the stock Schwalbe Rapid Rob, 700x35c tires. I have on order a set of Bontrager AW2 tubeless 700x32C tires since I plan on riding on the road mostly. I bought it as a foul weather bike and the stock tires are a bit heavy and slow on the road.
I've never used tubeless. A foul weather bike usually gets more than the usual number of flats (and in foul weather to boot!). What happens then......I always thought it took a compressor to get them to seal.
Old 05-13-16, 02:18 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
I've never used tubeless. A foul weather bike usually gets more than the usual number of flats (and in foul weather to boot!). What happens then......I always thought it took a compressor to get them to seal.
I'll carry a tube and 2 large CO2.
Old 05-18-16, 07:24 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

I decided to head east for the first time this year. But after 7 miles of crosswind, I decided to head north and loop around.

When I got home, I found the center seam on my bibs came apart and if it wasn't for the chamois, my buttocks would of been there for all to see. I guess after 5 years and 10,000 miles its time to retire them. But first i'll see if the tailor at the dry cleaners can fix it and a few other loose threads.
Old 05-20-16, 03:21 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Felt like summer today... 44 miles, 1700c and 1800'.

https://www.strava.com/activities/582462318
Old 05-20-16, 04:14 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Felt like summer today... 44 miles, 1700c and 1800'.
All good, as long as your buttocks remained contained this time.
Old 05-20-16, 04:16 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

All good, as long as your buttocks remained contained this time.
Yes... new Bibs. I bought a spare set when i found them cheap online.
Old 05-22-16, 04:25 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Rode the CX through the mud in the Massapequa Preserve. It's nice to have something I can ride on both road and trail.

15 miles @ 13.7mph
Old 05-23-16, 06:44 PM
kaos joe

47 miler road ride with AA group on Saturday on the Cannondale. That ride was fast. Mrs is still more mentally comfortable on the "old" C'dale tandem, which despite being aluminum, is bridge-girder stiff. The newer (to us) steel Bilenky is lighter, not as stiff, and she seems to be able to feel it flexing and ain't used to that. I certainly feel less jolt in my hands when hitting rough road on the Bilenky. We rode that one on Sun. after it dried out for a leisurely 27 miles.
Old 05-25-16, 02:26 PM
kaos joe

Ah, summer has arrived! Great, except for the air quality advisory.......

I had planned to head out and do a nice longish day ride, maybe Stony Brook, a favorite. That's usually a 76 miler for me. But then came word that no fewer than 4 of my partners in crime were either playing hooky or sneaking a ride in before work. So, traded 35 of those 76 miles for a morning of great companionship. Now my turn to head to work.

Come on folks, it seems theres only 2 guys posting here.....
Old 05-25-16, 06:46 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Come on folks, it seems theres only 2 guys posting here.....
From the OP:

Not to judge or knock anyone who posts here regularly (I'm glad this thread is a success and people are enjoying it) but I think the fact that so many of the posts are about mileage and speed (rather than about good routes, sites, sounds, and scenery) might intimidate some people from participating. Honestly, it's why I haven't posted a whole lot since starting the conversation.

I never meant for this to be a competition or a place for people to beat up on themselves for doing 72 miles instead of 75 on a Tuesday afternoon. I really just wanted to discover and share some good rides on our island. Perhaps if more of the posts included where people rode, what they saw, where they stopped for donuts, etc., this thread might have broader appeal?
Old 05-25-16, 08:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Well, I got in 4 rides last week, including Wading River, which was fun, and 2 this week before work (late morning/afternoon shifts), plus am off tomorrow so meeting a friend for a Jones Beach ride and will ride at least once this weekend. Almost wishing the cool temps would stay, but am glad the winds died down. Finally getting some good rides in and saw on the scale this AM I dropped 10 lbs, so 25 off since November. What a struggle losing weight. I envy the skinny guys like Kaos Joe.
Old 05-25-16, 10:55 PM
kaos joe

Distance and speed are fundamental aspects of what we're doing out there, just as much as stopping for donuts. I don't see any competition or beatings going on; it's all good. If someone is intimidated by a number of miles someone else posts, then, well, maybe they're too easily intimidated. Like I said, it's all good.

Here's an odd route I recently came up with. My thing has always been to head north and east, away from density and traffic and towards trees and quiet. But my wife works in the Omni Bldg right next to the Nassau Coliseum, and my daughter attends Hofstra a stone's throw away. I always thought it would be cool to be able to ride there and threaten them with my lycra-clad presence, but I assumed it would be a hair-raisingly unpleasant dance with disaster. But no!

Starting from the Bethpage bikeway, one gets off & heads west on Central Ave through Bethpage,for around a mile or so. Not great but not a death gauntlet either. Left turn on 107 and immediate right, away from all them cars, onto Collector Lane. Quick left on Crescent Pl, right onto Farmedge Rd. One stays on Farmedge for a bit, then right when it hits Constellation for another longish westbound run. Left when Constellation hits Jerusalem, quick right on Heather Ln. and another quick right on Orchid Rd. Orchid takes one on another long westbound leg, till a left on Carnation. Crossing Newbridge Rd, it becomes Salisbury Park Dr, and after a short stretch with a small shoulder, the cyclist is taken into the welcoming bosom of a real live designated bike lane, FWIW. Actually, it's nice. And upon reaching Carman Rd, it gets even nicer with a separate MUP along the northern border of Eisenhower Pk. I think it's possible to follow this MUP all the way. But I choose to enter the park at the dog run entrance, slow down greatly, and make my way southward, on a relaxing paved path, careful not to upset the pastel pants crowd who are all heavily and expertly armed with golf clubs. A right, through the golfers parking lot, then another right on Park Blvd. One can stay with Park Blvd, but I choose to leave the cars behind and make an immediate left on the seemingly un-named road (is it even a road?) past the Pro Shop and the Veterans Memorial, rejoining the MUP network at Park Blvd and Merrick Ave. Now one follows the MUP south along Merrick Ave, past the strategically placed twin 40mm anti-aircraft gun (I kid you not), which defends the park. Now after all this surprisingly low-to-no traffic and pleasant riding comes the option, if one chooses, to scare the crap outta yourself and attempt to cross Merrick Ave onto Charles Lindbergh. Doing this gets you back onto a nice MUP after a hundred yards or so. OR, do as I did and stay safely on the MUP south all the way to Hempstead Tpke, where it crosses Merrick at a light, goes west past the Marriott and the Coliseum, and finally turns north again to deliver me to my lovely brides office, where she told me, "You stink".

Steve, I ain't so skinny. Tell me more about Wading River.

Last edited by kaos joe; 05-26-16 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-26-16, 04:04 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Trust me, there's always someone who's faster and does more miles. I say "good for them" and then keep pedaling at my own pace.
Old 05-26-16, 06:52 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Starting from the Bethpage bikeway, one gets off & heads west on Central Ave through Bethpage,for around a mile or so. Not great but not a death gauntlet either. Left turn on 107 and immediate right, away from all them cars, onto Collector Lane. Quick left on Crescent Pl, right onto Farmedge Rd. One stays on Farmedge for a bit,
Oooo....Ooooo This is part of what I call my "Levittown Ride". It's actually an old MPBC C ride, that uses Bloomingdale - New South Rd - Cedar - Miller, to get up to the LIE eastbound service road. I also use Newbridge Rd to get to Constellation. Not a bad riding area for central Nassau. The Eisenhower area is also interesting though last time I checked, the bike lane on Salisbury ends just north of the dog park. Nassau just did really weird things with the paths along Salisbury and Post Ave. I believe the concept is to finish and connect all the way around the north side of the park. It wasn't last time I rode there.
Old 05-26-16, 07:04 AM
Steve B.

Forgot: I posted the details of the Wading River ride here

https://www.bikeforums.net/northeast/...ing-river.html
Old 05-26-16, 07:51 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

I got 18 miles in this morning before I had to be home for a conference call.
Old 05-26-16, 11:46 AM
Steve B.

Buddy and I did a nice 33 RT to JB and Tobay this AM. Longest distance of the year to date.

Had a S wind heading down, so tail coming back which is the best way.

Stopped and watched the Blue Angels practicing, amazingly noisy jets !

Warm out too, 85 or so, hope it cools off for the weekend
Old 05-26-16, 01:16 PM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Oooo....Ooooo This is part of what I call my "Levittown Ride". It's actually an old MPBC C ride, that uses Bloomingdale - New South Rd - Cedar - Miller, to get up to the LIE eastbound service road. I also use Newbridge Rd to get to Constellation. Not a bad riding area for central Nassau. The Eisenhower area is also interesting though last time I checked, the bike lane on Salisbury ends just north of the dog park. Nassau just did really weird things with the paths along Salisbury and Post Ave. I believe the concept is to finish and connect all the way around the north side of the park. It wasn't last time I rode there.
Yes, the MUP layout is odd to me. When I cut into Eisenhower, it's impossible to just go across the park, because the whole place is fenced impenetrably with no pedestrian gates or openings. Apparently they're serious about limiting access and even have that flak gun to make sure nobody parachutes in. That's why I needed to loop all the way northwest to Park & Merrick, although come to think of it I might be able to get through over by the pool complex. Something to check out. The MUPs on Lindbergh just come to a blind end within sight of the one along Merrick, with no link and dangerous traffic between the two networks. I'm going to check out that old C ride you just outed to me.

I've also paralleled this route by following the old Vanderbilt Pkwy, which is now a power line r.o.w. from Bethpage south of the King Kullen office bldg all the way to Salisbury Pk Dr. A couple of the banked turns Mr. Vanderbilt put in are still discernible. It's cool in a butt ugly kind of way and requires willingness to ride on dirt, mud, hop fences or wiggle through holes in them, etc. Guerrilla riding. At Salisbury further westward progress is blocked by a jail where the fencing is more serious.

Thanks for the Wading River info and congrats on the weight loss too.

Last edited by kaos joe; 05-26-16 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-26-16, 03:27 PM
Steve B.

Eisenhower is a somewhat inhospitable place to ride a bike, regardless of the county's intent and publicity.

The Salisbury bike path gets you into the dog walk area and you can then (last I was there) ride the path/sidewalk over towards the parking lot for The Carleton restaurant, I've done this a few times over the years.and never been hassled. You are kind of cutting thru the golf course area, but I've never seen "No Bikes" signage, unless they've now blocked it.

But where to go from there ?. There's a path alongside Merrick/Post that heads down to Hempstead Tpk, where there's a path, but you take your life in you hands attempting to cross the entrance/exit lanes of the Meadowbrook. This whole path design is just a problem. And then the path on Hempstead ends with no place to go.

Waste of time this whole area.

As to Wading River, there's a bunch of stuff I've yet to explore that hooks up with the ride I did last week, all roads south of the LIE as far south as Montauk Hwy. Part of my interest in this area is to find the roads from an SBRA ride I did years ago on Club Weekend, where we visited out east. We left from the Suffolk County courthouse area on Rt24, headed south of Rt 27 then west and north then to River Rd. near Calverton. Lots of potential out here for rides. Unfortunately the SBRA is no longer maintaining a database of cue sheets as they once did, or I can't find them. So I'm researching RideWithGPS, Google and MayMyRide.
Old 05-26-16, 08:08 PM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Eisenhower is a somewhat inhospitable place to ride a bike, regardless of the county's intent and publicity.

The Salisbury bike path gets you into the dog walk area and you can then (last I was there) ride the path/sidewalk over towards the parking lot for The Carleton restaurant, I've done this a few times over the years.and never been hassled. You are kind of cutting thru the golf course area, but I've never seen "No Bikes" signage, unless they've now blocked it.

But where to go from there ?. There's a path alongside Merrick/Post that heads down to Hempstead Tpk, where there's a path, but you take your life in you hands attempting to cross the entrance/exit lanes of the Meadowbrook. This whole path design is just a problem. And then the path on Hempstead ends with no place to go.

Waste of time this whole area.
Yes, the route you describe is exactly what I did, no signage and no hassles. But this IS Nassau Co. Give 'em time......
Crossing Merrick Ave. down by the light on Hempstead Tpke is positively tranquil compared to doing it by Lindbergh. The whole area is nowhere I'd go unless I had a reason, which I do. But on the whole it's a lot more benign than I had expected.
Old 05-27-16, 05:48 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Sunrise over the Great South Bay.

Similar route as yesterday, but 1mph faster.
Old 05-27-16, 06:33 PM
qajaq

Bikes: TREK Domane 5.2 Giant Defy Wilier Triestina Cento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Talk about a good ride. Did my usual Cedar Creek to Tobay Beach loop from home (23 miles) today and got to see the Blue Angels performing. That makes for a good ride (even if it wasn't very fast). There, I've done it, mentioned both speed and distance :-)

Planes were out all afternoon for air show practice sessions. Lots of folks enjoying the show but making for some slow going on the trail. But, even avoiding the obstacles on the path, I was still moving faster than the cars on the Northbound parkway. Tomorrow (Saturday) should be a mob scene, not just Jones Beach, but everywhere including Cedar Creek Park. I plan on getting in another ride but very early to avoid the crowds. If you're thinking about going, and can't ride all the way there, you might want to park on the residential streets to the north of the park or use the train station lots. I don't think the recently enacted "resident parking permit" is requires on weekends.

Last edited by qajaq; 05-27-16 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-27-16, 07:31 PM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by qajaq
That makes for a good ride (even if it wasn't very fast). There, I've done it, mentioned both speed and distance :-)
Lots of folks enjoying the show but making for some slow going on the trail....... Tomorrow (Saturday) should be a mob scene, not just Jones Beach, but everywhere including Cedar Creek Park.
Don't go scaring anyone there, pard.

We rode down the last time the Blue Angels were here, arriving at the beach in early afternoon and leaving just as the show was winding up. It was crowded, sure, and a lot of the folks were wobbly, but with a little patience it really wasn't bad even on a 7 foot long bike. We might do it again either tomorrow or Sunday. Thing is, after doing a 40 or so miler (oops) in the morning, the inclination to put up the feet is strong.
Old 05-28-16, 07:52 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Got out early before the heat and traffic. 30 miles @ 15.5mph, 1000' and 900c.
Old 05-28-16, 04:26 PM
kaos joe

Good ride today? NOOOO!!!

I always mark 3 milestones every spring.

1. First day in just summer attire. Check, weeks ago.

2. The day when I've got 5-600 miles in the legs, and feel strength coming back, and it all comes together. THAT's a good ride. Check.

3. The first hot day, when I'm not used to it and not used to compensating for it, and drink too little and sweat too much, and......CRAMPS! WHAM! 40 miles into a 41 mile ride(sorry). So, check on that one too. It's always been my Achilles Heel. I've had some memorable episodes. Today when I got home I weighed 3 pounds less than last night so clearly didn't drink enough.

Yes, I drink Gatorade (60 oz. today) and pop an electrolyte cap with 190mg Na and 53mg K about every half hour. Today, not enough. I took 5, limit is 15. I've always been a disgustingly heavy "sweater" and have always been the most salt-encrusted of my peers. My doc is mystified as to why any of this is, but I'm not her typical patient as far as activity level, I suspect. I'm considering consulting an exercise physiologist or someone who understands what I'm doing. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.