Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you guys use a phone mount or prefer pockets?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you guys use a phone mount or prefer pockets?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-17, 06:20 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Uh, it's kind of silly to mount my LG flip phone on a mount. So I just put it in my jersey pocket.
Old 10-26-17, 08:15 PM
Bomb Komodo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Worth it to me to get the Garmin 520. I now can see my cadence and heart rate, it auto syncs to strava and tells me when I am hitting starred segments.

A phone can't do all that integration without battery drain and clunkiness.

The thing about having all that data is that if you also use a food app like My fitness pal, you can really, really maximize your fueling/diet. You know how hard you are working and it just makes things super efficient. Totally worth it for me.
Old 10-26-17, 08:17 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In a plastic sandwich bag that then goes in my seat bag (I can't stand to have too much stuff in my jersey pockets). Personally, I'd never mount my phone on my bars. But, that's just me.
Old 10-26-17, 08:19 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Training, ziplock + jersey pocket.

Leisure, top tube bag.
Old 10-26-17, 08:24 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
Training, ziplock + jersey pocket.

Leisure, top tube bag.

If Froome uses a seat bag when he trains that's more than good enough for me. I'm not into splitting those kinds of hairs. I leave that kind of stuff for guys like Doge.
Old 10-26-17, 08:30 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
If Froome uses a seat bag when he trains that's more than good enough for me. I'm not into splitting those kinds of hairs. I leave that kind of stuff for guys like Doge.

Well in my case, I do kinda-sorta have some kind of excuse.

My designated training bike has that kind of thick aero seat post thingy, that has some kind of gritty/rough layer built-in along the bottom half (I'm guessing its to keep the carbon seat post from slipping). I don't want to wrap the silicon band for my rear light around that part (the rough surface might wear out the band, perhaps?) so my light is fitted along the upper section of the seatpost, this preventing a "European posterior man-satchel " from being attached.

I also have another clip-on light that can attach to a bag, but I've stopped using it that way because it has fallen off while bunny-hopping so... no saddle bags on my training bike.
Old 10-26-17, 09:55 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Inside a sandwich baggie, inside a pocket(jersey/shorts/bag).
I too, use a sandwich baggie for my wallet and phone and put it in the larger middle rear pocket of my jersey. When I commute to work, I have to tote my laptop in a backpack and the phone and wallet go into the backpack.

I loved my Motorola Razr; it fit nicely into the saddle bag. These horrible large flat things won't fit into any saddle back I've seen.

I replaced my phone and the new one is bigger and I'm going to have to get a larger baggie!
Old 10-27-17, 03:38 AM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I put my phone in my waistband, or pocket if I'm actually wearing something with em. I'll eventually have a bag that it will fit in. I have a tiny computer on the stem. I looked into phone mounts recently but I just couldn't see the point of it in the end.
Old 10-27-17, 04:47 AM
bikehoco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Keep mine in a top tube bag, had to do a lot of searching to find one big enough to hold an iPhone 7+
Old 10-27-17, 06:55 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I keep sandwiches in the Ziploc bags and phone in the jersey pocket naked.
Old 10-27-17, 08:16 AM
MauiKai
Thats "MISTER Poopypants"

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac with Shimano RS81s and 105s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a silicon mount that wraps around the stem and then put my iPhone 6S in a Tunewear battery case. That keeps it accessible, and safe during rides. If it is absolutely necessary for my to go out when it is raining, then I will put it in a ziplock and in the seat post bag under my seat. That rarely happens though since I don't use that bike for work. Something like this...
Old 10-27-17, 08:20 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I either go baggie in my pocket or I use the specific pocket on my ORnot handlebar bag. The second option is usually on adventure rides though on my gravel bike.
Old 10-27-17, 08:25 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Excuse the noobness...but what is the objective of a bike computer rather than a phone? Is it not possible to get all wanted info on a phone?
Early on, a phone with a cycling app is fine. As you get into longer and longer rides, I found that around the 4 hour mark, the function of having location turned on and a cycling app running really ran my phone battery down fast. This wasn't a big deal if you were doing loops on a local trail and your car was in the parking lot, but if you get into riding long distances, especially solo, then having a functioning and powered up phone becomes more important.

Once I got to that point, I got a dedicated cycling computer and put my phone in my jersey pocket. Side note, I've never needed to have it in a baggie, even when its raining. My phone is water resistant and never has an issue with the low levels of moisture it gets from sweat or rain. Plus, I like the ability to quickly pull it out and snap a pic while riding if I see something. It takes me about 4 seconds from seeing it to snapping the pic thanks to the quick launch camera function.

Also, I personally like all of the info that my Garmin 820 gives me which is more than I've had using phone apps. Things like power numbers, cadence, real calories burned, accurate climb and grade information along with heads up caller id, text messages and weather alerts.

Another feature that I can't live without anymore is the Varia rear radar integration that notifies me when cars approach from behind, tell me how many there are, how far away they are, how fast they are approaching and when the coast is clear. It's especially useful when I'm in high winds and can't rely on my ears to hear a car approaching. The computer beeps loud enough to get my attention to look down and recognize that a car is approaching even when I can't hear it coming up behind me.

My girlfriend's favorite features are Live Track and Crash Detection. With Live Track, she can keep tabs on where I am when I solo ride. It makes her feel better to see that I'm still moving and not in a ditch somewhere. Also, in the rare event you need a pickup (like due to a pop up lightning storm) the feature allows the person to drive directly where you are. She likes the Crash Detection feature as well. If I go down hard, the computer starts a countdown and if I don't stop it in X seconds, it will send a panic message to people I have configured. So if I do crash into a ditch and go unconscious, my contacts will be alerted and give my location, as long as my cell phone has service there.

Factor all that in and I find a bike computer well worth the investment for cyclists doing long miles.

Last edited by Jarrett2; 10-27-17 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-27-17, 08:27 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I've been using small flip phones for years. I carry it on bike rides primarly so I can call emergency if I crash. I use those fabric wallets with two folds and velcro but I first sew on a wider strip of velcro. When I ride, I put the phone inside the wallet. It is well padded and my ride has to get very wet before it sees water even if I didn't bring a jacket. Plus it never comes out and if I crash, it will still be there and likely still work, even if I land on it. Drawback/benefit: it is near impossible to pull it out in time to answer even if I hear it.

Edit: I know this doesn't make me a very good "road cyclist" in this forum's context. My bikes have no electronics at all save a blinkie and headlight when needed except one (usually one of my lower bikes) with a simple cadence computer for the trainer. I ride to get away from the digital world, not to bring it with me. And, to take me still further from "road cycling" norm, most of my riding is on bikes where being one with the road is a step more concrete - riding fixed. So for me, the ultimate road bike is pretty simple. (I do carry those brake things around though.)

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 10-27-17 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-27-17, 09:42 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
On my Hybrid/MTB i have a top tube bag with a window for my Samsung Note, room for a spare tube, wallet, keys, snacks etc...

On the Road bikes, back of the Jersey pocket has worked for me for phone, tube, energy/snack bar. Now with the colder weather i fit my phone on my Specialized Element 1.5 jacket front pocket.

I normally do my 30-65mi rides starting early weekend mornings, and several shorter 15mi rides on weeknights...both windows in which i have plenty of battery.

I have yet to buy a cycling computer. Some days i wish i had the telemetry there real time.
Old 10-27-17, 09:43 AM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come on, it's 2017 and most of you don't have waterproof phones yet?
Mine goes in my center jersey pocket with my rain jacket with it to keep it from flying out over bumps.
Old 10-27-17, 08:16 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by evan326
Mine goes in my center jersey pocket with my rain jacket with it to keep it from flying out over bumps.
A ziploc takes up a lot less space than wrapping a phone in a rain jacket. I also imagine there's a difference between waterproofness and saltproofness (aka sweat).
Old 10-27-17, 09:36 PM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rain jacket is for my body, not the phone. It just is in the same pocket so the phone doesn't move around in my pocket.
Old 10-28-17, 12:26 AM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I don't carry a phone.
That's why I'm riding the bike, to get away from that crap.
Here, here. No phone no music. Just the sweet sound of the breeze and gear whine.
Old 10-28-17, 02:16 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Inside a sandwich baggie, inside a pocket(jersey/shorts/bag).
It might not rain, but I will sweat. Ziploc bag, always.

If I have the kids in tow (which is most rides these days, to be honest) it'll be in the hanging pouch in the cargo portion of the trailer.

I recently had my phone fall out of my jersey pocket for the first time ever. I may or may not have failed to put it in the pocket properly. A good Samaritan picked it up, and when I rang it I was able to arrange to meet him and retrieve it.
Old 10-28-17, 03:14 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pocket. Speed, cadence and time are as much information as I ever want when riding. I don't see how people can follow navigation underway from their phone or whatever, but evidently they do. Also, when out riding, I don't want to be distracted by the sight of calls coming in, notifications and such; I'm happily incommunicado except when I stop, and then I can pull the phone out of my pocket.
Old 10-28-17, 04:11 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Quad Lock. If you ever use one, you'll be hooked.
Old 10-28-17, 06:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by evan326
I know, right? How dare we all not drop $600-$900 in the last 15months for a new phone just to get water-resistance!
Pathetic. **
Old 10-28-17, 06:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Quad Lock. If you ever use one, you'll be hooked.
Used one for a couple years and still have it for odd times when i do around town family rides, but using a cell phone for training rides just isnt as nice as a dedicated gps unit.

The phone battery drain is no longer an issue and thats fantastic.
Old 10-28-17, 08:27 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
used a triangle frame bag today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.