Search this Thread

Old 03-28-20, 11:06 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Prices in S E Asia

If you live in an affluent country, and come to S E Asia, you will be surprised at the prices of some things. This example is in Cambodia. Neighbouring countries are often similar, but not always the same. All prices are in US dollars.

You can buy a new tube for a 26 or 27 inch ladies bike for $1.25.

You can have a bicycle tube patched for less than $1.

New 26 inch FAT bikes are for sale for $260. These are advertised on https://www.khmer24.com/en/ Look under bicycles.

There are different colours available. It seems 2 different shops sell them.

I recently had a 26 inch by 4.0 FAT bike tire and tube replaced. The tire was $20, and the tube was $10, fitting included. They also put in tubeless sealant for free. I supplied the sealant.

I also had new disc brake calipers, with new pads, fitted for $20. That is $10 for the back and $10 for the front, including fitting. At this price, it would not be unrealistic to replace the calipers every time the discs needed replacing.

I had a situation where, when I needed to stop suddenly, the disc brake would lock on. I could only release it by moving the bike in reverse. This was dangerous, for example, if I had to stop suddenly in an intersection. After you stop, others expect you move again. I moved the calipers, and adjusted it right up close to the disc to fix it, but as the brakes wore, it happened again. By that time, the brake pads were fairly worn. So I had new calipers fitted. Some of the parts on my bike are Shimano. I don't know if the brake calipers are, but this is a serious design fault. The new calipers are a different design, so hopefully it wont happen again.

At many dentists you can get a tooth filled for $10. If it is really complicated, it may be $20. Some people come to Cambodia for dental work.

Last edited by alo; 03-28-20 at 11:15 PM.