Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When is it appropriate to build a bike vs. buy a complete bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-12, 01:02 PM
JustinNY

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With most of the threads on here about upgrading components, swapping components, finding properly fitted components, shedding weight, etc. it seems like it would be in anyone's best interest to buy the frameset they like, the add components that they've individually shopped out which suit their needs perfectly.

Yet it seems like most people still buy complete bikes. Why?

What is the typical cost breakdown of building a bike to buying a complete bike with exactly comparable components? Do most people buy complete so they have can avoid doing the work and get out and ride right now? Are framesets overpriced compared to the complete bike build?

I'm considering upgrading next year, but at the same time, I would also consider acquiring components over the next year as I find deals, then putting them together into a complete build.

Whats been everyone's experience with this?
Old 05-10-12, 01:10 PM
tinrobot
Spit out the back

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Complete bikes are generally cheaper if you buy everything new. Most people would also rather ride a bike than build one.
Old 05-10-12, 01:14 PM
JustinNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tinrobot
Complete bikes are generally cheaper if you buy everything new. Most people would also rather ride a bike than build one.
Is this true for a 100% apples to apples comparison? What I mean is that most new bikes come with very mediocre stems, headsets, bars, wheelsets, seat posts, saddles, etc. But if you factor in all of the upgrades that most people inevitably do, is that new bike still "generally" cheaper?
Old 05-10-12, 01:14 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
I build because I enjoy the build process. I like the scavenger hunt of good deals, finding compatible parts, and having 100% control over what goes on it. Not that I am an expert, but it is 40% of the fun of cycling, for me.

Building is kind of more expensive, and kind of not. You need tools, so that is up front cash. If you want the highest end everything, you will pay more than buying stock. But if you want specific, middle of the road stuff, you can make out okay building. For $1000 to $1500, I think you get more bang for your buck building.

I am also a guy that builds my own PC's, so I am opinionated toward self-sufficiency and total customization.
Old 05-10-12, 01:15 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you are so inclined, it's more fun building than buying a complete bike. But saving cost is not one of the reasons people build their own bikes. You do, however, save money to maintain your own bikes.

Personally, I love building/upgrading/maintaining my own bikes. It's all part of the lifestyle for me.
Old 05-10-12, 01:17 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
And if you are OCD like me, sooner or later you will be building your own bikes. There are certain things I just can't stand, e.g. Bontrager anything.
Old 05-10-12, 01:17 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I doubt that it's ever cheaper to build with new parts (maybe rarely). But costs might be similar if you would change a bunch of the stock parts on a new bike...or if you've scored a lightly used group or wheels. More advanced/experienced riders tend to be more picky on groupsets, wheels, and other components -- and may even have some of those items on hand.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur

Last edited by dtrain; 05-10-12 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-10-12, 01:20 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinNY
Is this true for a 100% apples to apples comparison? What I mean is that most new bikes come with very mediocre stems, headsets, bars, wheelsets, seat posts, saddles, etc. But if you factor in all of the upgrades that most people inevitably do, is that new bike still "generally" cheaper?
Not everyone makes those changes and upgrades. But for the type of consumer that does, yes a frameset build-up might make more sense.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 05-10-12, 01:21 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I haven't bought a new bike since 1989. Building is far more satisfying but the bug to build can bite REALLY hard.

55/Rad
Old 05-10-12, 01:24 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
1. When you already have a lot of parts laying around, and just need a few things to make a bike.
2. When you want a specific configuration that's not available.
3. When you just want to do it yourself for the experience.
(on the other hand, you could still by an off-the-shelf bike, take it apart and put it together again.)
Old 05-10-12, 01:29 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I seem to alternate between buying frames and buying groupsets but for the really high mileage gang it probably makes a lot more sense to just buy the whole bike and they'll probably still upgrade groups once in the middle.

I also tend to upgrade frames when I feel like it and upgrade groups when they wear out and the two rarely coincide. YMMV.
Old 05-10-12, 01:56 PM
AttackMonkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newb here... I have a '96 Serotta Atlanta, steel frame and fork etc... It fits well and I don't see the point in buying a new bike... however the Shimano 105 Group on it, is starting to wear out... so I figured I'd just buy a new Ultegra set or something to put on there, but I'm finding out they would cost like $1000 or something... where it's kind of crazy not to get a brand new bike for that price... any recommendations on how I can get a modern, good condition group on this bike? I think the chainring teeth are wearing out a little too... also as is the bike is like 21lbs currently, I would like to reduce this to under 20 if possible... not trying to break the bank.
Old 05-10-12, 01:59 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by AttackMonkey
Newb here... I have a '96 Serotta Atlanta, steel frame and fork etc... It fits well and I don't see the point in buying a new bike... however the Shimano 105 Group on it, is starting to wear out... so I figured I'd just buy a new Ultegra set or something to put on there, but I'm finding out they would cost like $1000 or something... where it's kind of crazy not to get a brand new bike for that price... any recommendations on how I can get a modern, good condition group on this bike? I think the chainring teeth are wearing out a little too... also as is the bike is like 21lbs currently, I would like to reduce this to under 20 if possible... not trying to break the bank.
Ribble
Old 05-10-12, 01:59 PM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AttackMonkey
Ebay, Craigslist, or the Marketplace section of this forum could be a good place to get some deal on used gear.

I think the best value on the market right now is SRAM Rival/Force/Apex combination. Done right, they are better than Ultegra.
Old 05-10-12, 02:03 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
1. When you already have a lot of parts laying around, and just need a few things to make a bike.
(on the other hand, you could still by an off-the-shelf bike, take it apart and put it together again.)
+1.

Old 05-10-12, 02:13 PM
AttackMonkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation on the SRAM dalava... I've never used it before, but I hear decent things about Rival and Force... never heard of apex.. will do some research... I guess it's not abig deal to mix and match stuff...
Old 05-10-12, 02:25 PM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
All the SRAM stuff work interchangeably regardless if it's Red (except the new 2012), Force, Rival, and Apex. The biggest difference between them are weight.

I replaced the Ultegra (6600) on one of my bikes with the Rival shifter, Force FD and brakes, and Apex RD (long cage so I can run 11/32). It runs better IMHO.
Old 05-10-12, 02:26 PM
JustinNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I seem to alternate between buying frames and buying groupsets but for the really high mileage gang it probably makes a lot more sense to just buy the whole bike and they'll probably still upgrade groups once in the middle.

I also tend to upgrade frames when I feel like it and upgrade groups when they wear out and the two rarely coincide. YMMV.
This is interesting...

So you never actually build a new bike, you just keep evolving the same bike by progressively refreshing the frame and components over time?
Old 05-10-12, 02:27 PM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I usually build because at some point I look around and go 'you know, I have enough parts laying around I could almost build another bike if I just buy x, y, z...'
Old 05-10-12, 02:37 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
bingo! nailed it.

the best way to start from scratch is to buy a new complete bike on sale. the best time for this varies, from october through ... say, march. you need to know exactly your size and what sorts of bikes you want. and then when you see a deal, you pounce. this is by far the best way to get the best new bike for your money. (you could also buy used, but you could easily get screwed. or you could get a hell of a deal.)

however, you can't worry about waiting for the 'best' deal if you have no bike. you could miss out completely and then you're either buying at msrp or you're sitting out the season.
Old 05-10-12, 02:38 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The first time I did this was a bit of a combination of all of the above. My "A" bike had a 9-speed Ultegra triple group. My "B" bike had an 8-speed RSX group on it. 10-speed DA had just come out and my LBS was trying to offload their stock of 9speed DA. So, I took the A bike in and had them upgrade. Then I took the box of Ultegra parts and migrated it to the B bike. So now I had two 9-speed Shimano bikes so I could swap wheels if I needed and I had a box of perfectly good 8-speed parts and the experience in tearing down and building back up a bike.

Haven't bought an off the shelf bike since.
Old 05-10-12, 02:42 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So you never actually build a new bike, you just keep evolving the same bike by progressively refreshing the frame and components over time?
that is actually my plan. I paid $1850 for my bike from Competitive Cyclist: basic frame (Litespeed M1), mid-level componets (SRAM Rival), mid-level wheels (Mavic Ksyrium Elite).

I plan to upgrade the frame first, because the electronic shifting revolution needs more time and the frame is the lowest quality piece.
Old 05-10-12, 02:45 PM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
I haven't bought a new bike since 1989. Building is far more satisfying but the bug to build can bite REALLY hard.
Yup. And I have found the longer you take to build a ride is a direct correlation to the total price tag. Longer Build = Costlier Components.
Old 05-10-12, 02:46 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I planned on building up my next bike, but the deals were just too sweet to pass up on full bikes. It would have cost me so much more money to build up a bike equivalent to what I bought.
Old 05-10-12, 02:49 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
This is interesting...

Yup.

Once you get a decent group and a few sets of wheels this is the way to go. It's been this way since Jesus won a classic on a flip flop hub with a wrench in his bag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.