Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pacific Northwest itinerary recommendations (10 days)

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pacific Northwest itinerary recommendations (10 days)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-23, 11:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by bittereditor
Do you know if this is an issue everywhere? I was thinking it'd be more of an issue inland for some reason but is it happening on the coast?
I can't comment on closed roads or on previous fires, but on a different thread a few weeks ago someone posted this link for monitoring things like smoke and it can forecast days in advance. I was unaware of that website, it has all kinds off good stuff.
https://www.windy.com/

For fire locations, on the lower bar where you can select things, select more layers and select active fires.

For smoke, select more layers on the upper bar where you can select things and select PM2.5. Background color on map shows levels, it does not exactly show where smoke is, it shows the levels of fine particulate matter which includes smoke. On this same bar you can select fire intensity and you get that but turn off smoke.

For example, as I send this, it looks like several fires near Crescent City with light smoke levels. You could check local news with internet searches if you are concerned.

I am a novice on that website, so I can't advise further.

I have no idea if the state DOT agencies have websites of road closures or not, but that is something you could check on.

I should have mentioned this in my previous post. When I was there in 2014, we had cell coverage only about half the time. Hopefully things are better now, but you might want to check the coverage maps for your cell provider to see if things have improved. I had Sprint, my touring partner had AT&T, we often had neither.

You anticipated some camping, if there are any burning bans they might prohibit alcohol stoves but allow butane stoves.
Old 08-27-23, 04:31 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
With only 10 days, I wouldn't to go to Montana or Eureka for instance. Even if there is a train or bus, it'll take all day. And does the 10 days include BOTH fights, what times? Makes a big difference in possible rides.
In 2018 I did a motels only tour, including thru B.C. to Vancouver, Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, Aberdeen, Long Beach, Astoria, Seaside, hwy 26 to Portland, Hood River to Kennewick, Spokane, CdA, then up to Cranbrook, etc. I was in the state capitol, a car museum in Tacoma and car/ airplane museum in Hood River, both very nice. Plus H R is the kite sailing capital of the world, WILD to see.
So anyway, I have NO idea how my route ideas mesh with camping. I never once booked a motel before I got where I wanted to stop. Only a couple times they were almost all full and that would be weekends or holidays.
Not ranked or exclusive >>
Plan A > Go NW to Astoria, Long Beach, Raymond, hwy 6 and 12 to Rainier, then you have 3 or 4 days to get to SeaTac. I would expect reservations are mandatory.
Plan B > Go to east thru Troutdale and some of the old highway ( I did the east half of it) to Hood River, Goldendale, somewhere around Yakima, 2 days to Rainier, then the same end to SeaTac.
Plan C would be to Astoria, 4 days to Florence or Reeds Port and back thru Eugene/ Corvallis, McMinnville and Lake Oswego I guess. I think this route has flying BUGS. LOL Going farther east to Sisters then north would get into boring desert, IMO.

Highway 3 in the Olympics is busy and poor and so is the whole loop IMO.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 08-27-23 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-28-23, 06:32 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
Except for the fires ... and the smoke ... and the closed roads.
FWIW, highway 20 over the Cascades has reopened after the fire shutdown. Which, I know, doesn't say much about lingering smoke.

If you're going to eat at a restaurant in a small town, look for where the fire trucks/busses are parked. They know where the good value food with good service is!
Old 08-28-23, 06:50 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
FWIW, highway 20 over the Cascades has reopened after the fire shutdown. Which, I know, doesn't say much about lingering smoke.
If you're going to eat at a restaurant in a small town, look for where the fire trucks/busses are parked. They know where the good value food with good service is!
I contacted WSDOT about Hwy 20 on Friday.
Although bicycles are allowed they strongly advise against it.
Cars a re allowed through in groups led by a pilot car with no stopping.
There is heavy smoke and fire has jumped the road in places with hot spots.

Nothing is open

PS - In remote fires like this, firefighters usually have catered food service at their staging areas.
Old 08-28-23, 08:16 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Seattle - Olympia - Astoria - Portland - Salem - Eugene. Side trip in Portland out to Timberline Lodge for some climbing (and descending 😄 ). Amtrak return. I've ridden every mile of that in the last two years. Mostly spectacular. Vacation traffic for sure. Rain possible this time of year, of course. Hit me up if you want routes.
Old 08-28-23, 08:24 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
I contacted WSDOT about Hwy 20 on Friday.
Although bicycles are allowed they strongly advise against it.
Cars a re allowed through in groups led by a pilot car with no stopping.
There is heavy smoke and fire has jumped the road in places with hot spots.

Nothing is open
My bad, they closed the road completely at Newhalem on Saturday.

PS - In remote fires like this, firefighters usually have catered food service at their staging areas.
Really depends on the location, size of the town and size of the response force. I remember breakfast at The Inn at Wise (VA) while I was on a small crew in college -- we beat the Sunday church crowd and headed home. Most of the fires in the eastern U.S. are measured in acres instead of square miles, so that helps keep the response teams' size down. And a couple crews came into Libby, MT while we were out; they ate fast and left full.
Old 08-28-23, 02:48 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
My bad, they closed the road completely at Newhalem on Saturday.
It’s hard for me to imagine that. The two times I rode through that area (‘99 and ‘00) it was chilly and damp, but both times were near the end of May. I remember stopping for coffee at the market in Newhalem and hanging out inside to warm up. I had never ridden a bike west of Pittsburgh, so that environment was totally new to me.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-28-23 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-28-23, 03:49 PM
dvdwmth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
I grew up in Vancouver. The north west coast is one of the most beautiful places on earth. You could take
ferries to various islands for different experiences. Some of the coastal inlets are hard to believe. Personally pretty fond of Seattle (haven’t been in many years though) and Vancouver is now world class.