Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Being poor keeps me grounded😁

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Being poor keeps me grounded😁

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-24, 02:57 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by axelwik
I've been to more than 50 countries and my way is better ...
Classic.
Old 03-15-24, 02:58 PM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Classic.
Look in the mirror, you're saying the same thing.
Old 03-15-24, 03:00 PM
tomato coupe

Most millionaires haven't been to as many places as I have. They're too busy "earning" more and more money.
I know many moderate to very wealthy people that travel more than you do. How is that possible?
Old 03-15-24, 03:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
One doesn't have to spend the extra money on fancier hotels. One can spend the extra money traveling more often, to more destinations.
And money may allow a person to retire young and have more time to travel.

I am very familiar with the research on the relationship between money and happiness, as much of it it comes from my discipline. But these people who claim that having less money actually leads to more happiness...Hmm. Strikes me as similar to the posters who claim that their heavier bikes mean that they get better workouts than people on lighter bikes.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-15-24, 03:03 PM
tomato coupe

Look in the mirror, you're saying the same thing.
No I'm not. I specifically stated that "a lot of extra money can mean a lot of travel and a lot of fun." You're the only one claiming your way is better.
Old 03-15-24, 03:05 PM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

No I'm not. I specifically stated that "a lot of extra money can mean a lot of travel and a lot of fun." You're the only one claiming your way is better.
Gotta have the last word, right?
Old 03-15-24, 03:07 PM
tomato coupe

Gotta have the last word, right?
I'm not clairvoyant -- I can only refute your false statements after you make them.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-15-24, 05:27 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I have friends who have a LOT of money. I travel just as much as them, but instead of staying in the fancy hotels and hiring people to do everything I do most of the research and planning myself, stay where the locals stay, do more of what I really want to do, and camp when it's appropriate.

When they come home and talk about their experiences it's all about fancy this and fancy that, western ammenities etc., but almost nothing about the culture, local customs (unless they're making fun of it), local street food, or everyday people.

If I wanted to stay in a fancy hotel, eat fancy food, and be insulated from the "unwashed masses" there's plenty of that just a few miles away from home without having to pay airfare.

When I talk about my trips - learning some of the language before leaving, being invited into people's homes, getting to know average people, hitching rides in trucks, buses etc., discovering really cool places on my own, etc. they just can't fathom it.

I've been to more than 50 countries and my way is better, and costs a fraction of what they pay. One does not have to be loaded to have rich travel experiences. Money can't buy everything and tends to insulate one from real experiences; putting a little bit of work into it results in a much "richer" experience.
What a bunch of assumptive crap. Who are you to place your values upon someone else and judge. I prefer a immersive style of travel myself and a lot of it is by bicycle. Self supported, you can’t get more immersed than that. One of my rules is I only fly business class or better what does that mean I am missing some experience degrading the trip?

By the way why would you consider these people your friends when you look down on them and speak so poorly about their values.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 03-16-24, 09:53 AM
axelwik
Yep

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
What a bunch of assumptive crap. Who are you to place your values upon someone else and judge. I prefer a immersive style of travel myself and a lot of it is by bicycle. Self supported, you can’t get more immersed than that. One of my rules is I only fly business class or better what does that mean I am missing some experience degrading the trip?

By the way why would you consider these people your friends when you look down on them and speak so poorly about their values.
You're confused. I merely expressed an opinion and it "triggered" you, and I never "looked down" on anyone.

Last edited by axelwik; 03-16-24 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-17-24, 11:28 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Yep and those miserable types often appear to forget that health is far more important than wealth.
That is true,you can't buy health with money and health is much more important than money
Old 03-17-24, 11:41 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Originally Posted by baj32161
I've never had a particularly high paying job and I was raised to try to stay within my means

That being said, I have always WANTED the latest tech, be it in my love for home audio, photography or cycling.

As such, my cameras are all at least 11 years old, my bike is a 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp and my audio equipment is my smartphone and headphones.

Now, at 63 years old, I realize that I really have enjoyed the stuff 8 have. I am not a fast rider, never have been. I love riding the bike I have. I have won awards and sold photos taken with my 12 year old Nikon D7000s and love listening to my music.

All that that doesn't mean that I still don't WANT the newest fabulous tech.

I spend a lot of time sighing and wanting to run the lottery😁

More's the pity😁
Well you are a humble and honest person those are two very important qualities which are not common nowadays. I have had ups and downs in my life but as I earn my life correctly, I spend it on what I can enjoy (bikes, watches) as well as taking care of my last living parent. I have my own preferences regarding bike frames, groupsets, wheelsets, pedals, tire, saddles, headsets and stems and bars like everyone else, I enjoy what I have. I have tried and testrode, di2 , 22speeds , 24 speeds bike as well as bikes with disc brakes, but not thanks, it is not for me. For groupsets, I am sticking to the good old Dura Ace 7800 for road bikes as much as I stick to the Deore XT 780 T with triple cranks on the mountain bikes.
Old 03-17-24, 02:51 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
That is true,you can't buy health with money and health is much more important than money
Yes, wealth is not a quick fix for poor health, but with wealth generally comes better opportunities (e.g., via better diet and exercise) to become healthy and/or maintain health.
Old 03-17-24, 03:24 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Yes, wealth is not a quick fix for poor health, but with wealth generally comes better opportunities (e.g., via better diet and exercise) to become healthy and/or maintain health.
I totally agree
Old 03-17-24, 03:52 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
What hasn’t been said, is that people that come from humble conditions who manage to work their way against the odds to a stable financial position can also reflect on how fortunate they have become while also being grounded (its not about things, not trying to impress, not acquisitions, not feeling superior).

Heard an interesting podcast on Hidden Brain about millionaires. Those with a few, try to impress others by over inflating their net worth, while those with multi tend to downplay what they have and are very modest about it and don’t flaunt it. There are the exceptions of course: Musk, Bezos, and on and on. Always exceptions.

Likes For rsbob: