Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to make road bikes more usable for trail biking and off road?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-15, 01:28 AM
BikeMunster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just recently switched from a mountain bike to a road bike and the difference in speed and handling is amazing. I want to take it off road, but it was a painful attempt. Is there a way to make road bikes more usable for off road? Like extra padded wheels or something?
Old 10-09-15, 02:05 AM
bgrider

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look up cyclocross bikes. They are effectively a road bike for off road use. Amongst other changes, they sport larger tires.
Old 10-09-15, 02:07 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Extra padded wheels" are usually referred to as tires. You can make some difference to it's off-road capabilities if you can squeeze on some fatter ones. Cyclocross tires would help. But many, perhaps most, road bikes don't have the clearances to allow that.

That's why there are different bikes fr different activities. The nearest thing to an all-purpose is probably a gravel (or adventure) bike that is a roadie configuration but with clearances for fat tires.

Last edited by chasm54; 10-09-15 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-09-15, 02:26 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
The Cannondale Slate Lefty is slated to hit the market soon.

It is a bit expensive, but it might be worth considering if you're doing some more intense offroad (not just gravel).

There is a lot of hype with the bike, and a lot of debate among people that haven't seen it.
Old 10-09-15, 05:42 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Check out GT Grade. It should fit the bill.
Old 10-09-15, 06:08 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Perfect opportunity for n+1.
Old 10-09-15, 06:33 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeMunster
I just recently switched from a mountain bike to a road bike and the difference in speed and handling is amazing. I want to take it off road, but it was a painful attempt. Is there a way to make road bikes more usable for off road? Like extra padded wheels or something?
It depends on the road bike, many road bikes will limit the size of tire you can use because of frame dimensions, rims, brakes. I have a Kona Dew Drop that I mount 35mm tires for gravel grinding, cyclocross, and single track riding. It works great for off-road riding. It is not a "great" road bike (my pure road bikes are faster), but it's much faster than my mountain bikes. Here it is geared up for a 150 mile day, including 100-mile gravel grinder:

Old 10-13-15, 12:39 PM
myqlj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Continental's Travel Contact tire makes a world of difference on dirt/gravel on our tandem, but your bike probably wouldn't hold the 37mm version we used. Slick center with medium-heavy tread on the sides, and the better handling for slow speed turns was amazing. The only thing we had trouble with was deep sand or deep gravel.
Old 10-13-15, 07:40 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Get a gravel road/adventure bike.

The "do it all" cousin of the road bike has a relaxed geometry, can take wider tires, will have disc brakes and is comfortable for all-round riding.

It can go places a road bike can't go - Giant Anyroad, Specialized Diverge, Trek Cross-rip, GT Grade and Salsa Vaya are examples of this emerging new breed of bike where the road meets the trail.

They're fun, too.
Old 10-13-15, 11:04 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The Cannondale Slate Lefty is slated to hit the market soon.

It is a bit expensive, but it might be worth considering if you're doing some more intense offroad (not just gravel).

There is a lot of hype with the bike, and a lot of debate among people that haven't seen it.
Looks like a tank. Wondering what it will be priced at. I"ve been looking at the caadx for my commutes as the roads are rough and can skirt traffic by riding off road a little.

Attached Images
Old 10-13-15, 11:35 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I took my CX bike up some fire trails, shod with Ritchey Shield 700x38 CX tires, and it was... interesting. A proper trail would likely have been less punishing-- this had lots of washboard and sand filled ruts-- and the descent was equally as terrifying as the climb was arduous... but it was entertaining. If your road bike won't accommodate at least a 700x35, I'd think twice, then think again even still. My frame will easily fit 700x50, so I'm shopping for a cheap pair of smaller-lugged 1.9" MTB tires to give off-roading another go.

Oh, and watch out on the steep or loose ascents-- climbing out of the saddle on road geometry borders on the impossible. No weight on the rear wheel, it just spins out. Disconcerting. Singletrack is probably something else altogether.
Old 10-14-15, 11:46 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
There are places where you'll have to get off and walk. If you aren't sure its safe, walk! Its better than a bad fall and even pros walk their bikes from time to time.