Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Flat Paddle Pedals on a Road Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Flat Paddle Pedals on a Road Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-24, 03:42 AM
danallen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
@LesterOfPuppets wrote:
Only drawback of them is you can't pedal through corners as much but that's no big deal.
How do the flat pedals interfere with peddling in corners?
Old 03-07-24, 05:54 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by danallen
Well, flat pedals are typically bigger and wider so yeah the angle to which you can tilt the bike before the pedals touches the ground is shorter than most clipless pedals, but that's kind of irrelevant I think.
Old 03-07-24, 07:16 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
They are wider so when you lean sharply, they can touch the ground.
Old 03-07-24, 10:43 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
There are combo flat pedal on one side and spd on the other depending what you intend to do.

the only negative to spiked flat pedals is when you accidentally hit one pedal with your foot and it spins backwards into your shin. Ask me how I know.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-07-24, 12:53 PM
DUHI4GOT

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro Reynolds 853, Cervelo R3SL Sram Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's a comparison from GCN
Likes For DUHI4GOT:
Old 03-07-24, 03:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by bykemike
Read The Midlife Cyclist, or, at the very least read this review of the book.

Book Review: The MidLife Cyclist by Phil Cavell – The Cycling Independent

Since I bought it I read it constantly. Mr. Cavell knows bikes and people and how they interface and can explain that clearly. Since reading this I ride flat pedals on my off road bikes, my single speeds and on my road bikes.

I feel this has improved my cycling performance and my enjoyment of riding.

Knee pain I had is gone, I can get off the bike and do a hike or walk down to see the view when cycling the mountains..

His detailed explanation of why the theory of peddle lift using clips is anatomically impossible.is very interesting, His writings on cycling have the ring of truth to them.
This is an old post, last October, but I keep reading that "peddle lift using clips is anatomically impossible". Disturbing. If true. I've had ongoing hallucinations most bike rides on my 3 toeclip and strap bikes. They seem to only happen when I don't tighten the straps. The illusion is that my foot lifted off the pedal and that my cleat (one of those aluminum slotted deals dinosaurs used to ride) lifted off the pedal and all that was restraining my foot was that loose strap.

I was taught to "pedal circles" nearly 50 years ago, long before the physics of bike riding was known. That included pulling up on the upstroke as that was part of the circle. So I've naively believed that cleat disconnect I seemed to have perceived so many times was just that simple lift of the full circle pedal stroke. Now I know better. If it keeps happening, I should go to a shrink
Old 03-07-24, 04:44 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
I thought its been found that the foot clips do not increase efficiency, contrary to what has been common belief.
It's been shown to have extremely minimal advantages is power applications over flats. Enough that if someone pays you to wear their gear, then yes, every little bit helps. If you're paying to wear someone else's gear, maybe not so much.

Invariably the argument always devolves into better control or some such preference. To each their own. Of course, I'm a heretic. I have flats on all my bikes, even my tri bikes.
Old 03-07-24, 05:27 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12780 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
. I have flats on all my bikes, even my tri bikes.
I'm surprised everyone in sprint Tri's isn't on flat pedals, assuming you wear your running shoes on the bike, that second transition should be fast and easy!
Old 03-07-24, 05:48 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Pedal strikes (as mentioned in my previous post). Those can have very nasty results.

Since that post, my wife had hip replacement surgery, so she has reaffirmed never wanting to use clip-ins (right now she can't).
Old 03-07-24, 11:47 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
I have Shimano ES 600 on the Scylon. My two commuters have Shimano M 324 dual sided pedals. And some flat pedals on the off road bikes. The Fat bike has some Ti flats that came off of eBay, while the hard tail has Spank Spoons, 110 mm wide.

The tandem is the only one that I will argue strongly for clipless pedals. Using flats on a tandem is asking for an injury. My stoker, who didn't want to go with clipless now will not ride the tandem in plain shoes. Our pedals are some Ritchey micro SPD pedals that they no longer make.
Old 03-08-24, 01:11 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
You can use whatever pedals you want (I will never use flat pedals on a road bike personally, they look terrible and clipless optimise foot position effortlessly and precisely - the tandem comment above is interesting too, never ridden one but that makes a lot of sense)

but what is unconscionable is spelling it “peddles” and “peddling”. That means selling something.
Likes For choddo:
Old 03-08-24, 11:50 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I'm surprised everyone in sprint Tri's isn't on flat pedals, assuming you wear your running shoes on the bike, that second transition should be fast and easy!
Despite my antipathy to clipping in, I do not wear my running shoes on my bikes. As some have stated above, I find the soles to be a bit too mushy. I wear a shoe with a bit more stiffness in the sole, but something I can still walk in (or run in) if need be.
Old 03-09-24, 01:00 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I've recently found (again) that I don't like the feel of wide mtb platform pedals. I always feel somewhat insecure and disconnected from the bike with them. For me the best option for flat pedal is a fairly narrow pedal (eg. MKS Sylvan) with shoes that have a stacked heel I can put the pedal against.

My dislike for the wide MTB pedals has driven me to use clipless even with my MTB's and during the winter.

But I suppose I will have to get used to the MTB platforms since my touring bike / commuter needs dual sided pedals and I ordered the Shimano PD-T8000's for it.
Old 03-09-24, 01:03 AM
VegasJen

I'm a fan of the Venzo flat pedals that have SPD compatible clips, available on Amazon. You can get them in a fairly narrow platform.
Old 03-09-24, 04:44 PM
choddo

I like the flat pedals, with the screws stick-out to keep my foot from slipping. I don't like any sort of clips or other kind of attaching foot to pedal, because sometimes I use my foot to avoid falling down. In those situations, my foot needs to get off that pedal in a hurry.

I have seen pedals like this marketed as MTB/Road pedals. These are marked only MTB. What is it about these pedals they are not marked for a road bike?
While I can’t remember the last time I had to do it, it was probably at a road junction when a car wasn’t visible until the last second, my foot gets out of a Keo cleat very fast indeed. It’s just a matter of practice.

I don’t mind if someone else wants to use these on a road bike but I know for a fact they don’t keep my feet as securely positioned and no way on earth would I do a hundred miler on flats.

SPDs I could just about tolerate.

Last edited by choddo; 03-10-24 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-12-24, 11:30 PM
VegasJen

Yet another reason why I choose flat pedals. Out today and got a puncture that neither the sealant or the plug kit would stop. Called a friend to come pick me up but I still walked 2+ miles before he got to me. Can't imagine even trying that in cleated shoes.
Old 03-12-24, 11:32 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by VegasJen
Yet another reason why I choose flat pedals. Out today and got a puncture that neither the sealant or the plug kit would stop. Called a friend to come pick me up but I still walked 2+ miles before he got to me. Can't imagine even trying that in cleated shoes.
Cleat covers make it just about doable but yeah, not fun.
Old 03-13-24, 07:20 AM
VegasJen

I was lucky phone a friend worked out. I still had almost 12 miles left on the ride. I could have walked it but that would have put me on the shoulder of a highway for over an hour after sunset.
Old 03-13-24, 07:59 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
In my opinion, the MTB pedals are best for almost everybody on the roads - cheaper, safer in certain situations, better footwear, options to move your foot, etc.

The road pedals and shoes have their place. They lock you in and make you one with the bike, much like a race car driver's seat and harness might. Great option if you get your foot position exactly perfect and have no plans on walking or stopping repeatedly. Less chance of a strike or a foot inadvertently slipping off a pedal. Also some performance gains.
Old 03-13-24, 09:35 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
This is exactly what I'm doing on my old bike. I'm changing out the stem to 17 degree, lowering the seat a little and putting on some flats. I can't wait to just put put around with flats on the old bike.