Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Understanding Hill Repeats

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-11, 01:28 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of my go to rides is a 9 mile stretch with 4 significant climbs - half mile or so and 12% + grades. Now that I'm getting strong enough I go to the end and turn around and go back. Only 2 significant climbs that direction and some more gradual ones.

In my mind this is what I'm thinking is meant my hill repeats in that I'm doing 6 significant climbs with each followed by some down hill sections. However, these hills are long enough and steep enough that it's all I can do to make it up each one. Sometimes I'm wobbling around at 4 mph. I am getting stronger and make it further each time before going to my lowest gear and pedaling squares the rest of the way and I can make it up a couple now without the lowest gear.

However, I'm wondering if I should be doing something differently. For example, should I sprint up one of these hills as far I can before crapping out and then turn around, roll down and do it again a few times then move on to the next hill? Is it more important to sprint up a few times vs just torquing my way up each one?
Old 05-21-11, 01:37 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
That's an interesting question...they way I have typically done hill repeats to to pick a specific climb, ride up it, turn around and go to the bottom and ride back up it. Do this until you can't back up (unless you need to be at the top at the end) or until you think you could get back up again. Build the number of times you can repeat the climb. When I have done them I had a 1 mile climb I liked to use...I would do one at high cadence, then one standing the whole climb, then high cadence again and so on.
Old 05-21-11, 01:40 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
I have a one mile climb with a somewhat steady grade that I use. I time each one and try to keep the last one "close" to the same time as the first one (actually use wattage but time will work as well). This keeps you going steady and helps you learn your body. I will generally do it 5 - 8 times. Other times I will do two minute hill repeats and a much higher speed to help me with the shorter climbs.
Old 05-21-11, 02:16 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So doing the same hill over and over is maybe more typical. I'm doing 6 different climbs but maybe that's not a big deal.

What I'm curious about is how sprinting up a hill and pushing something close to max effort and then, assuming I crap out before the top and most likely will, rolling back down and trying a few more times before moving on to the next hill. Is doing hill repeats more about steady climbing over and over or sprinting over and over or a mix of both?

What are the pros/cons to sprinting up hills vs steading climbing?
Old 05-21-11, 02:18 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
So doing the same hill over and over is maybe more typical. I'm doing 6 different climbs but maybe that's not a big deal.

What I'm curious about is how sprinting up a hill and pushing something close to max effort and then, assuming I crap out before the top and most likely will, rolling back down and trying a few more times before moving on to the next hill. Is doing hill repeats more about steady climbing over and over or sprinting over and over or a mix of both?

What are the pros/cons to sprinting up hills vs steading climbing?
You are pretty much describing two different workouts. For shorter hills sprinting is fine, for longer ones you need to be steady. Kind of what I was trying to describe in my first post.

Have you purchased Joe Friels "Cyclist Training Bible"? If not I highly recommend it.
Old 05-21-11, 02:28 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
You are pretty much describing two different workouts. For shorter hills sprinting is fine, for longer ones you need to be steady. Kind of what I was trying to describe in my first post.

Have you purchased Joe Friels "Cyclist Training Bible"? If not I highly recommend it.
No, not yet. I'm not really "training" for anything. I'm just trying to get into and stay in shape. Although I guess I'm training to have the strength/stamina for longer rides.

Yes, I often sprint up short hills too, but that's not what I'm trying to get at. I'm wondering about the benefits (or dangers) to hitting a long hill hard to the point of not being able to go an more and not being at the top yet and then trying it again. On a short hill you get some reprieve too soon. On a longer hill you get to work to a point of "I can't go on" and then take a short break rolling down and doing it again. I'm thinking eventually that "long" hill won't seem so long. I saw someone doing something like this the other day so it got me thinking.
Old 05-21-11, 02:59 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Yes, I often sprint up short hills too, but that's not what I'm trying to get at. I'm wondering about the benefits (or dangers) to hitting a long hill hard to the point of not being able to go an more and not being at the top yet and then trying it again.
Sprinting up a hill is good for training your anaerobic work capacity and is the last thing you should train after building a solid base, worked on threshold (Long intervals e.g. 2x20) power and VO2Max power (3-6 min intervals).
Old 05-21-11, 03:12 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Sprinting up a hill is good for training your anaerobic work capacity and is the last thing you should train after building a solid base, worked on threshold (Long intervals e.g. 2x20) power and VO2Max power (3-6 min intervals).
Okay, that's kind of what I'm getting at. Although, being a noob not sure what threshold power and VO2Max power are (I do know what VO2Max means though) or how to measure them without fancy gizmos. I've been riding the road bike for about 6 months and I've recently started doing my multi-climb route 2-3 times a week. Is steadily climbing those hills over and over "building a solid base"? If so, how do I know when it's okay to work on the anaerobic capacity? Although, for what it's worth, most of the time I am in an anaerobic zone when climbing these hills and even max effort at times.
Old 05-21-11, 04:09 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What I am doing that is helping make hills easier is that my gym includes spin classes and I do two per week. The spin bike has a knob that adjusts the resistance. One of the two classes I work on hill climbing so I turn the knob until I can barley turn the pedals and I spin the pedals until my thighs are burning, then I back off take a quick breather and repeat. The second class I work on high cadence intervals. After a few months of this, I am able to climb hills in harder gears with less effort.
Old 05-21-11, 04:29 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
What I am doing that is helping make hills easier...
It shouldn't get easier, just faster.
Old 05-21-11, 06:52 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Okay, that's kind of what I'm getting at. Although, being a noob not sure what threshold power and VO2Max power are (I do know what VO2Max means though) or how to measure them without fancy gizmos. I've been riding the road bike for about 6 months and I've recently started doing my multi-climb route 2-3 times a week. Is steadily climbing those hills over and over "building a solid base"? If so, how do I know when it's okay to work on the anaerobic capacity? Although, for what it's worth, most of the time I am in an anaerobic zone when climbing these hills and even max effort at times.
Power-based training levels by Andrew Coggan provides a reasonable description of the various training zones. Normally building a base involves lots of endurance rides.
Old 05-21-11, 08:00 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by znomit
It shouldn't get easier, just faster.
It is easier in that I am no longer gasping for air and I don't need to use the smallest chain ring on my triple and the largest cog in the back. I am not really faster yet, I can just climb in larger gears.