Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Images of extinct bike tech.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Images of extinct bike tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 03:25 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I believe those "butt fairing" saddles were banned from competition, making them obsolete only in the rulebook sense, and thus also making them prized by collectors as they are rare.
Old 03-17-15, 03:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I believe those "butt fairing" saddles were banned from competition, making them obsolete only in the rulebook sense, and thus also making them prized by collectors as they are rare.
yes, competition rules generally ban any kind of faring or added aerodynamics. Aerodynamic shapes are allowed only if they' re the structural elements themselves --- ie, aero tubing, seatposts, and rims --- not anything added.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-17-15, 04:51 PM
long john

Bikes: cuevas

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This was on my shelf.. I have all the parts! It's brand new!I rode the bike with the crank about a 1/4 mile. That's why it's off the bike. Peddling feels like stumbling as you walk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (95.8 KB, 183 views)
Old 03-17-15, 06:06 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
You forgot to add that they are mostly quite fugly too.....
Old 03-17-15, 06:16 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
How about the triple pivot Suntour LeTech derailleur.

So, you're thinking- "what's so odd about that?"

There's the normal in/out of the slant parallelogram- and the normal pivot of the cage- but that pivot is on a pivoting arm!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 09-23-17 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-17-15, 06:25 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
yes, competition rules generally ban any kind of faring or added aerodynamics. Aerodynamic shapes are allowed only if they' re the structural elements themselves --- ie, aero tubing, seatposts, and rims --- not anything added.
I don't think the aero part was the reason they were banned though, I think it was because it was an extra point of contact - because you could push against it with the back of your butt. The "three contact points" (feet, butt, hands) was the reason they didn't even allow TT handlebars for a long time. -
Old 03-17-15, 09:07 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
How soon until we can put the Elliptigo, Cyco Cycle, and those side-to-side skate-motion trikes whose name I don't know, into this thread?

What about those BMX-style scooters with the 12" wheels? I loved those things but the fad was killed stone dead by the Razor.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-17-15, 09:22 PM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by long john
This was on my shelf.. I have all the parts! It's brand new!I rode the bike with the crank about a 1/4 mile. That's why it's off the bike. Peddling feels like stumbling as you walk.
Like, I can tell that's not a normal crank set, but what does it do?It looks like the pedal has some ability to move independent of the cranks? What for?
Old 03-17-15, 09:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by willydstyle
Like, I can tell that's not a normal crank set, but what does it do?It looks like the pedal has some ability to move independent of the cranks? What for?
It's a cam driven chainring advance/****** system * that offers the "benefits" of oval chainrings and other power curve modifiers, without the darwbacks of oval rings. Of course it has it's own issues, but that's a different story.

* that's "re tard", come on censors, really?)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-17-15, 09:36 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Nobody has offered up the Facet Biocam yet?
Old 03-17-15, 09:42 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

It creates the "BioPace" effect of varying the effective gear ratio throughout each half-revolution of the cranks.

Using the PowerCam mechanism allowed a similar effect using round chainrings, the better to keep a front derailer functioning as it should, among other considerations.

I've used and raced on the milder "BioPace HP", "BioPace II" and "BioPace SG" versions of BioPace, which have both (or all three) rings in the same 3.5% shape that the largest ring of a BioPace chainset always is.

Regular (earlier) Biopace chainsets use a much wilder shape for the smaller ring(s), with fully 8% variation of the gear ratio.

I have to say I really like the effect of the rounder (3.5%) BioPace rings, the better to bridge larger gaps in one's gearing, so potentially requiring fewer shifts while racing.
I can't spin the original 8% versions of the smaller rings well at all though, and they also limit the smallest chainring size for any given bolt circle diameter.
Old 03-17-15, 09:42 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Tell that to Scott and those bars Greg used.
If they were not patented, they would still be around, gotta love the UCI.

How Cinelli got the Cinelli Laser passed is beyond my full comprehension. Maybe the first frames were all metal, the ones I have been able to take a magnet to failed that test. Bondo babies.
Old 03-17-15, 09:44 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy

There's the normal in/out of the slant parallelogram- and the normal pivot of the cage- but that pivot is on a pivoting arm!

Trying to watch all the monkey motion as a bike with that rear mechanism was shifted on the work stand was wild. I guess it worked, but the regular Suntour design worked well enough.
Old 03-17-15, 10:12 PM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I cannot believe this thread has gone 3 pages without the Bicycle Bungee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLKBy5ioPbg
Old 03-17-15, 11:14 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by repechage
Trying to watch all the monkey motion as a bike with that rear mechanism was shifted on the work stand was wild. I guess it worked, but the regular Suntour design worked well enough.
Looking back, perhaps the "dual sprung" A and B pivots of the Shimano (Simplex apparently used this also) "Servo-Panta" mechanism were patent-protected at this time(?).

Combining "Shimano's" Servo-Panta dual-springing with Suntour's "Slant Parallelogram" architecture produces the modern, high-capacity derailer.
But before this was done, there were Mountech/LeTech Suntour derailers and Huret Duopar derailers, both of which could cope with the widest-ranging freewheels of the day.

Oh, and the Campagnolo Gran-Turismo was dual-sprung, and with an unusually heavy offset between the guide pulley and the "A" (cage) pivot, so it too can handle huge-ranging gearing strategies, as shown below during my personal Turismo research odyssey:

Old 03-18-15, 04:00 AM
long john

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The POWERCAM device could be retrofitted to any standard bicycle (unlike BioCam) and used very large chain rings and a cam at the center of the cranks facing the bottom bracket cup. This device theoretically allowed the effort to be reduced where the muscles were weakest and to alternately be increased where the muscles were strongest.. not altogether unlike the purpose of the Shimano Bio Pace chain rings.
Old 03-18-15, 04:05 AM
long john

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

nice photo
Old 03-18-15, 06:01 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Originally Posted by long john
nice photo
I can't take credit for the LeTech in use- pilfered from the internets- if it's yours- it's a great pic that shows both the cage pivots.

I keep saying I'm going to put my LeTech on a bike (probably my Trek 720). I got it on my Voyageur SP- The bike shifted flawlessly when I got it- tore it apart, cleaned everything up, put it together. When I took it apart, I didn't pay attention to how the derailleur was set up- it's a rear derailleur- how hard can it be? But for whatever reason, the chain tension pulled farthest pulley down pulling the upper pivot down so that the upper pulley didn't make contact with the chain. It didn't matter a whole lot because I had two other derailleurs (1st gen Cyclone, XC Pro) that I really wanted to use on that bike anyway.

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 03-18-15, 06:12 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Combining "Shimano's" Servo-Panta dual-springing with Suntour's "Slant Parallelogram" architecture produces the modern, high-capacity derailer.
But before this was done, there were Mountech/LeTech Suntour derailers and Huret Duopar derailers, both of which could cope with the widest-ranging freewheels of the day.
What was the reason the DuoPar had such a huge cog capacity? With the Tech derailleurs, it's easy to see that the upper pulley gets pivoted down to make cog clearance. The DuoPar- without a slant parallelogram- shifts very nicely (I can't believe I just wrote that) but I don't know how that both shifted smoothly AND had huge cog capacity without lowering (or raising, for performance) the upper pulley.

Where does the AG Tech fit in that pantheon of 38T cogs?

Originally Posted by Disraeli Gears
Sometimes it’s better to get off and walk.

Old 03-18-15, 06:23 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts

Yeah, that was SunTour's implementation of an idea that first appeared on the Huret Duopar derailleur, several years earlier:

The additional articulation allows the upper pulley to track the cluster profile more closely than even the SunTour "slant parallelogram." This made it particularly suited for wide range clusters where the single, arbitrary angle of the slant parallelogram would be inadequate.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 03-18-15 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-18-15, 07:12 AM
okane

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Bummer seat +1

Just for those who wanted a close up look at the Bummer.

Was on a bike I purchcased last year and tried to ride it once...once!

Now I'm hoping someone will offer me a small fortune for this valuable, rare, one of a kind, vintage, and sure to be a wonder to everyone you meet testament to American cycling technology (sound CL enough?).

Attached Images
s2.jpg (96.6 KB, 70 views)
s1.jpg (102.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 03-18-15, 08:49 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Basically everything on this bike is extinct, and rightfully so!

Aero bottles? X
dynadrive? X
Aero tubing? X
toe clips? X
Dura Ace AX? X

I do think it's a very cool bike.

The Merlin grease guard bottom bracket:

Old 03-18-15, 09:07 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Originally Posted by okane
Was on a bike I purchcased last year and tried to ride it once...once!

Don't hang me on a hook, my mother hung me on a hook once... Once.

Old 03-18-15, 09:13 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Yeah, that was SunTour's implementation of an idea that first appeared on the Huret Duopar derailleur, several years earlier:

The additional articulation allows the upper pulley to track the cluster profile more closely than even the SunTour "slant parallelogram." This made it particularly suited for wide range clusters where the single, arbitrary angle of the slant parallelogram would be inadequate.
Duh... yes, the DuoPar DOES have that extra pivot.

And yes, the smoothest shifting that I can think of was with barcons, a DuoPar Titanium and a 5 speed Helicomatic freewheel.

Old 03-18-15, 09:21 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Weinmann brake bolt adjusters...I hope. edit. Actually whole brake can just disappear. Bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.