Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Italian city bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Italian city bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-12, 02:09 PM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
What are the bikes made of? How heavy are they?
Let me frame my question a bit.
As an example the green Taurus, and others, have geometry and look somewhat like a Raleigh DL-1.
A DL-1 is a fairly heavy bike.
Are some of the Italian bikes made of light weight tubing & other weight-saving strategies, even though they are utility bikes?
Old 02-18-12, 02:45 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,808 Times in 1,411 Posts
Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde

This hand-made drawing shows how it works. There was a Bianchi model called "Super Bianchi" in the 20's that also had full internal from brakes but nothing quite as sophisticated as the system in the Taurus.
Thanks! Correct me if I am wrong, but the rear brake is in purple. The rod comes down the stem and it looks like it attaches to a ring on the inside of the steerer tube. When the brake lever is squeezed, it lifts the rod and disc "up". The disc pushes on the yellow lever arm that is attached to the downtube and protrudes through a groove cut into the steerer tube. No matter how much that disc turns with the handlebars, it is always in contact lever arm. Obviously you can't have 360 degrees of turning the handlebars, but judging by the drawing 90-120 degrees would easily be achieved.

Nice, simple mechanism. The groove in the steerer tube is completely internal and would not pose any structural penalty.

Do the Taurus bikes typically go for higher amounts than the Bianchis and Umberto Deis?
Old 02-18-12, 04:50 PM
Citoyen du Monde

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by David Newton
What are the bikes made of? How heavy are they?
Let me frame my question a bit.
As an example the green Taurus, and others, have geometry and look somewhat like a Raleigh DL-1.
A DL-1 is a fairly heavy bike.
Are some of the Italian bikes made of light weight tubing & other weight-saving strategies, even though they are utility bikes?
There were many light-weight city bikes, including full aluminum bikes in Italy in the 30's... You need to understand that city bikes represented the 80-90% of the whole bike market and therefore the really high bikes like the Taurus Mod. 19 and Mod. 25 might only have represented 1% of sales but they were considered to be the "halo product" of the bike line which was used to show the market just what they were capable of building. The Lautal model from Taurus was built as a sub-11 Kg bike including full fenders and chaincase (about half the weight of a DL-1!). I have ridden quite a few DL-1's and in my opinion they are a poor excuse for a bike when you compare them to the top Italian and French city bikes. They are unnecessarily heavy and slow handling.

Originally Posted by iab
Thanks! Correct me if I am wrong, but the rear brake is in purple. The rod comes down the stem and it looks like it attaches to a ring on the inside of the steerer tube. When the brake lever is squeezed, it lifts the rod and disc "up". The disc pushes on the yellow lever arm that is attached to the downtube and protrudes through a groove cut into the steerer tube. No matter how much that disc turns with the handlebars, it is always in contact lever arm. Obviously you can't have 360 degrees of turning the handlebars, but judging by the drawing 90-120 degrees would easily be achieved.

Nice, simple mechanism. The groove in the steerer tube is completely internal and would not pose any structural penalty.

Do the Taurus bikes typically go for higher amounts than the Bianchis and Umberto Deis?
The sliding collar in the steer tube (the part highlighted in purple/pink) is indeed what controls the rear brake. The rod that is actioned by moving the rear brake lever threads into the collar whereas the rod that is actioned by moving the front brake lever passes through a more or less central hole in the collar. The collar has a goove for the front end of the yellow pivot on about a 180° range.

The more complex Taurus bikes are highly sought after with prices considerably higher than almost all racing bikes in Italy. If you find a Bianchi Super, it will be on a similar price to the top Taurus models. Bianchi, Umberto Dei and Taurus all made ranges of bikes. So you can't really compare brand to brand but you could compare models within the range to one another. Taurus tended to be slightly higher priced bikes only whereas Bianchi and Dei sold a wider range of bikes.
Old 02-18-12, 05:23 PM
woodrupjoe

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 6 Posts
Pardon my C&V ignorance here, but I always thought Frejus was a French bicycle. As I recall from my High School Italian classes, there's not even a "J" in the Italian alphabet. Maybe a non-native frame-maker building bikes in Italy? Always something new to learn.

I'm 2 for 2 on this- Last month I would have sworn that Marinoni was Italian.
Old 02-18-12, 05:32 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
It's a bit deceiving, Frejus being a town on the southwest coast of France and all. But the bikes, Italian through and through, were apparently named in honor of those who lost their lives building the Frejus tunnel under the Alps between Italy and France. Here's some info from the Classic Rendezvous site:

"Frejus (alternatively written Freyus) was founded in 1896 in Torino by Emmo Ghelfi and still run by him in 1946. The brand was later acquired by Emilio Bozzi and co-produced in Milan with his Legnano and Woolsit brands. In the mid 1970s, Mr. Bozzi was kidnapped & assassinated by the Red Guard. The company was then dissolved, his family having lost heart to continue the enterprise. By the early 1980s, the brand license was obtained by Bianchi and in 1988 a new usage of Legnano took place in a Bianchi financed team, starring Maurizio Fondriest."
Old 02-18-12, 05:44 PM
woodrupjoe

Wow, thanks. What an interesting history. Like I said, always something new to learn. I'll have to do some googling and get more of the details on the info above.
Old 02-18-12, 05:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
I guess the founder of Frejus enjoyed his time in Frejus and named his line of bikes after the city. And yes, the Italian alphabet has no 'J'.

Marinoni is Italian born but immigrated to Montréal long ago.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-18-12, 07:26 PM
Citoyen du Monde

If you want to better understand the history of the name Frejus, you must actually go back to prior to 1858. In fact, up until 1858, the house of Savoy (Savoia in Italian), the last family to reign over the kingdom of Italy had control over the whole area where the Frejus mountain is located, as well as the city of Frejus (in what is now France), as well as the location of the Frejus mountain tunnel (which now features one outlet in Italy and one outlet in France). It was therefore a wholly "Italian" territory. The King of Italy launched work on the Frejus tunnel while the whole area was under Italian control. However before the building of the tunnel was completed, a portion that now makes up the Savoy (Savoie in French) area of France (1 point to whoever guesses where the name stems from) was ceded to France. Therefore since the bike company was founded less than 40 years after the transfer it was still recent history. In Italian the j is not used as we would use it in English, but you do see it occasionally. It is known as a "long i". Our Y is known as a "greek i". Both of these terms are meant to differentiate from the normal "Italian" I. The J and the Y are both used to indicate a slightly different pronunciation of the letter I. There is however quite a bit of debate within Italy how to pronounce them and they therefore often get interchanged. That's why the former pro cycling team Jolly is alternatively written as Jollj or Jolly or Jolli (BTW if you play cards in Italy, a Jolly is our Joker).
Old 02-18-12, 08:35 PM
woodrupjoe

Man, this history lesson gets better by the minute! Hats off to our illustrious C&V scholars.
Old 02-18-12, 08:49 PM
catmandew52

Bikes: Mongoose Switchback

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is getting interesting!
Old 02-19-12, 11:17 AM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Photos of random classic Italian city bikes nella strada. Pretty random and NOTHING fancy. A few 500s and well. They are fancy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8214363...7629386618803/
Old 02-19-12, 11:46 AM
Citoyen du Monde

Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co
A few 500s and well. They are fancy.
Here is my old 1954 500C Abarth

Check out the advert for the new 500 Abarth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mini Abarth engine label.JPG (92.6 KB, 323 views)
passenger side view.jpg (105.0 KB, 329 views)
Old 02-19-12, 12:44 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by blilrat
I take this bike when I don't feel like lugging a lock with me.
Oh, man, don't say that. Take a lock. No scumbag thief deserves that lovely bike.

Old 02-19-12, 01:26 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
Here is my old 1954 500C Abarth

Check out the advert for the new 500 Abarth

That's how I felt about this little station wagon. Mi fa male il cuore!

Old 02-19-12, 01:41 PM
Citoyen du Monde

Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co
That's how I felt about this little station wagon. Mi fa male il cuore!
I owned my 500C for 15 years. The first year that I owned it, it was my only vehicle, also used to make the 20 km commute to work in (in the province of Treviso.) I later brought it with me to the US and eventually sold it to a surgeon in McAllen Texas.

I would buy a new Fiat in a heart beat.

I bought the car when the odometer read 60,000
Attached Images
front driver 3 quarter view.jpg (100.2 KB, 329 views)
odometer.jpg (80.6 KB, 163 views)
Old 02-19-12, 01:54 PM
hagen2456

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I guess the founder of Frejus enjoyed his time in Frejus and named his line of bikes after the city. And yes, the Italian alphabet has no 'J'.
Any football (that's "soccer" for you Yanks ) fan knows that the letter "j" is used in Italian. At least in Torino!
Old 02-19-12, 03:18 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
You-vent-tuss!! (I worshiped AC Milan back in the glory days)
Old 10-25-21, 09:05 AM
Bicilover

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 16 Posts
any shops that sell these bikes online with worldwide shipping?
Old 11-04-21, 08:10 PM
Bicilover

most practical bikes ever made and still being made but how can someone outside of Italy obtain one new or second hand?
Old 11-04-21, 10:02 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 545 Posts

Ain’t no way you’re getting my C&V Italian city bike.
Old 11-04-21, 10:07 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 545 Posts

Or this Bianchi when it is finished…
Old 11-05-21, 06:04 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
A week or so ago, in a thread about some Italian bike or other, a prominent member here who is an expert at this, said (not quoting) most vintage bike enthusiasts don't understand that the Italian builders City Bikes were their "high end" bikes, in comparison to their racing bikes.
I don't see many Italian city bikes to speak of, one small website specializing in them is here:

https://www.myoldbicycle.com/

but other than that, not much.
Are there so few of them that they just don't come up for inspection?

Show Italian city bikes if you have them!
the proverbial Italian city bike is a lot like what is known as "dutch" actually - upright position, closed chain protector, lever action brakes that operate on the bottom side of the rim; on nicer bikes, pushrods hidden inside the handlebars, manufactured by all brands including Dei, Bianchi etc. Internal geared hub or no shifting at all.

htt
Old 11-06-21, 10:45 AM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Wow, I haven't visited here in quite some time, and find this thread still having life! This is my Italian city-bike wanna-be, a Vianelli frame of Columbus SL and its only Italian component. Not exactly city-bike geometry, but it is my city bike. Not riding a lot anymore, I'm 70, and vegetable gardening has taken the time I used to ride. The star of this bike is the RHM saddle, my butt thanks you Rudy!

Likes For David Newton:
Old 11-06-21, 10:58 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Wow, I haven't visited here in quite some time, and find this thread still having life! This is my Italian city-bike wanna-be, a Vianelli frame of Columbus SL and its only Italian component. Not exactly city-bike geometry, but it is my city bike. Not riding a lot anymore, I'm 70, and vegetable gardening has taken the time I used to ride. The star of this bike is the RHM saddle, my butt thanks you Rudy!

Rudy rocks!
Old 11-24-21, 08:29 AM
Bicilover

Originally Posted by martl
the proverbial Italian city bike is a lot like what is known as "dutch" actually - upright position, closed chain protector, lever action brakes that operate on the bottom side of the rim; on nicer bikes, pushrods hidden inside the handlebars, manufactured by all brands including Dei, Bianchi etc. Internal geared hub or no shifting at all.

htt
nice bike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.