Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

No Doubt - I'm Out of Touch

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

No Doubt - I'm Out of Touch

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 06:11 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Some of the recumbent trikes are so low (how low are they?) the rider has to be pretty nimble&flexible to get up out of the seat. Others have almost chair height seating surfaces - design choices, ya know?

There are other approaches to well planted stops. Electra offers their 'crank forward, flat foot technology' bikes.

In years past they've offered some pretty spiffy, sporty models (Ticino), but since they were purchased by Trek a few years back they've focused on sturdy layouts.

In America, if a little bit is good, a whole lot is better, and Rans has kicked the bottom bracket out and lowered the rider even further. Like those car and motorcycle advertisements we've seen our whole lives, young woman not included:

Old 01-13-19, 09:12 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
A few points, just off the top of my head here in the USA:

Gravel bikes theoretically have more relaxed geometry and lower bottom brackets than cyclocross bikes, but some models are just remarketed cyclocross or touring machines.
Triple cranks moved to wide step double cranks moved to 'compact' double cranks moved to 1X (single chainring) cranks paired with huge range rear cassettes with 10, 11, 12 and 13 cogs.
You can't swing a cat without hitting a disc brake. Hydraulic actuation is common on the top parts groups, both for disc and caliper brakes.
Go fast machines are incomplete without high profile, aero rims.
Running out of meaningful improvements in the off road world, the powers that be decided to sell everyone a bike with a different tire size. 26" (ISO559) is being supplanted with 29" (ISO622) tires. In reaction, another cult promoted an obscure French tire size, 650B (ISO584) under the marketing name 27.5".
Tubeless tires, both on- and off-road, are gaining traction, if you'll pardon the pun.
'Fat' bikes with 3"~ 4" wide tires are available for mud, sand and snow riding and looking phat.
Carbon fiber is everywhere and less expensive.
Campagnolo has all but disappeared.
Like a lot of brick&mortar retail in the USA, bike shops are on hard times.
Multi-path (direct to consumer) sales is the new retail model.
It can be cheaper to order & ship something from Europe or Asia than buy it Stateside.
Professional, franchised mobile repair shops in the back of vans (like food trucks) aren't uncommon.
As I mentioned, the recumbent world is going trike.
Electric mopeds (a.k.a. 'e-bikes') have been the 'next big thing' in cycling for years. Federalist-system USA has a hodgepodge of state laws preventing a unified market.

You don't need any of that to ride and have fun on your bike.

Oh! Due to on-going improvements in optics, batteries and LEDs, bicycle lights aren't just different, they've actually gotten a lot better. W00T!
Damn ... that is an excellent summary of what has been happening over the last 10 years.

Old 01-14-19, 08:11 AM
tcs
Palmer

Doh! Forgot something that I think is a good trend: road bike frames/forks are being designed with room to fit wider tires.
Old 01-20-19, 11:32 AM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I sold my Cannondale CADD3 last year and recently had my Giant AT 740 stolen and went bikeless for a month,I just acquired a 2008 Trek Police bike and starting to ride again.
Old 01-23-19, 09:39 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
I've got 20 bikes under the roof (all riders), all before 2005. i'm not missing anything important in my cycling experience - except more miles and more smiles.

A person has to decide if they are into cycling for miles or new doo-dads - then find your place somewhere between the extremes.
Old 01-23-19, 12:34 PM
BobL

Bikes: 2005 Airborne Titanium Upright; 1998 Trek 5200

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I've got 20 bikes under the roof (all riders), all before 2005. i'm not missing anything important in my cycling experience - except more miles and more smiles.

A person has to decide if they are into cycling for miles or new doo-dads - then find your place somewhere between the extremes.
For me, it's miles.

I'm rather happy with my bike, it's just a question if I could improve things with a small upgrade or two. Running lights? A phone holder so I can watch GPS maps or routes? Maybe. That's probably all.

After replacing the batteries in my tail light I find I still forget to turn it on before hitting the road. A post-it on the garage door might help me remember.
Old 01-23-19, 12:59 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by BobL
For me, it's miles.

I'm rather happy with my bike, it's just a question if I could improve things with a small upgrade or two. Running lights? A phone holder so I can watch GPS maps or routes? Maybe. That's probably all.
I've got a phone holder, new in the box, I could send ya. Handlebar mount. Cheap. Only a year old. I'm a no doo-dads guy. But my family is always trying to enrich my experience, I humor them.
Old 01-23-19, 01:40 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A lot of folks are converting older 26" mountain bikes (MTB's) into cruisers, hybrids, or gravel bikes. And a bunch get converted to eBikes every year. Good used light weight air forks are available on the next in the 1,500~1,650 gm range (some with lock-outs), so the sky's the limit on what you might want to do there ... Some make good gravel and medium trail bikes, or just beer bikes
Old 01-23-19, 04:08 PM
BobL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a phone holder, new in the box, I could send ya. Handlebar mount. Cheap. Only a year old. I'm a no doo-dads guy. But my family is always trying to enrich my experience, I humor them.
That's very nice of you, but I'll pass. At least until I figure out what I want to do. Given the chance of getting caught in the rain here, I should get a waterproof case first.
Old 01-25-19, 10:19 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by tcs

A riding position as pictured puts pressure on my coccyx, does not allow for efficient pedaling, catches all the wind against a flat chest, and messes with the weight distribution (in most designs). OK for slow riding a few miles, crap for cycling any distance or at any speed above a fast jog.
Old 01-26-19, 10:52 AM
BobL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A riding position as pictured puts pressure on my coccyx, does not allow for efficient pedaling, catches all the wind against a flat chest, and messes with the weight distribution (in most designs). OK for slow riding a few miles, crap for cycling any distance or at any speed above a fast jog.
Seems that way to me. Plus, that model on her bike doesn't look like the picture. She's farther back on the bike. Her arms are more extended, less comfortable looking, and her legs are farther forward than the drawing. When you compare the seat tube on her bike vs. the drawing, it's clear that bike has the tube quite a bit farther back.
Old 01-26-19, 11:29 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
That's kinda freaky, and not even a hanging tank.

Get her some Wald longhorns so she can steer that thing.
Old 01-26-19, 11:42 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Perhaps I should clarify my post #35 .
Both the diagram and the lady pictured have a cycling position that is not conducive to efficient or pleasurable riding for more than short distances.

not saying any one position is right for all.
but those positions look terrible for more than 'around the block', which is better than not riding at all.
Old 01-26-19, 11:47 AM
Nele22

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m in the same boat!
Old 01-26-19, 12:13 PM
tcs
Palmer

...that model on her bike doesn't look like the picture. She's farther back on the bike. Her arms are more extended, less comfortable looking, and her legs are farther forward than the drawing. When you compare the seat tube on her bike vs. the drawing, it's clear that bike has the tube quite a bit farther back.
You do realize those are bikes from two different completely manufacturers with different visions & philosophies, right?

Anyway, a design that's been around since the early days of safety bicycles, something of a niche offering that never goes mainstream but never disappears. Short tour on crank forward bike. Danish 'sofacykel' of the 1930s:

Old 01-26-19, 12:45 PM
BobL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
You do realize those are bikes from two different completely manufacturers with different visions & philosophies, right?

Anyway, a design that's been around since the early days of safety bicycles, something of a niche offering that never goes mainstream but never disappears. Short tour on crank forward bike. Danish 'sofacykel' of the 1930s:

I thought the photo was offered as an example of what the diagram was trying to show, plus agreeing with Wildwood that the posture doesn't look for good riding into headwinds. It looks intended for short distance, casual riding.
Old 01-26-19, 07:15 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Yeah, not criticizing a bike. I have a beach cruiser with swept back bars, a city bike for short errands. But for efficient riding for fitness a more centered and controlled position for when your speed exceeds 10 - 12 mph is desirable. People with special challenges excluded.
Old 01-27-19, 12:58 PM
tcs
Palmer

Not unfair comments.

Our OP began this thought stream with:
I unclipped my left foot and put it down to stand and then went to unclip my right when I saw traffic would be a while. Next thing I know I'm on the ground with my right foot still stuck in the pedal.

Got pretty bruised up. The idea that a trike can't fall over has more appeal than it used to.
So far suggestions have included recumbent trikes and crank forward bikes, with associated positives and negatives. Any other suggestions for the 50++ group, whose balance & flexibility maybe isn't what it used to be and who are perhaps more wary of injury?
Old 01-27-19, 02:28 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Armor?
Old 01-27-19, 09:07 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Not unfair comments.

Our OP began this thought stream with:

So far suggestions have included recumbent trikes and crank forward bikes, with associated positives and negatives. Any other suggestions for the 50++ group, whose balance & flexibility maybe isn't what it used to be and who are perhaps more wary of injury?
Four wheels?

Old 01-28-19, 06:03 PM
Midway

Bikes: Colnago Master PIU 90's era, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD Disc 2018

Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
Nice thread to read through BobL as I’ve been out of the loop twice as long as you; 15 years off the bike and I’m finding the same thing. My bike is late 90’s as is my components, an Avocet 40 Cycling “Computer”, and poor fitting Nike shoes.

First on my list is a new set of shoes and to find out if my look style pedals are still in vogue.

Fortunately there is no shortage of information on the web. My 10th post, now I can read PM’s and post links and pictures, I think.
Old 01-31-19, 06:01 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Riding for fun is the key-enjoy!
Old 01-31-19, 10:42 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Midway
My bike is late 90’s as are my components...
Alas, too old to be 'modern era', to new to be "classic".

But you can always look for a silver lining as you make lemonade. Stuff is new and pricey, then it is used and ages and becomes less desirable, dropping in cost. Then it gets old enough to become special interest and even historical and antique, and the price starts to rise again. (Admit it: you wish you'd bought that '65 Mustang you saw for $900 in 1981.)

If you catch things at the bottom of the trough, you can buy those lovely things you coveted and couldn't afford when they were new. I've got my eye out for a turn-of-the-millennium 54cm Trek Postal.

Last edited by tcs; 02-01-19 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-27-19, 01:44 PM
tcs
Palmer

One of the reasons I signed up for the forums is to learn what's new and cool in cycling.

I've returned to riding after a 7 or 8 year break and I see I'm really out of touch.

The cats over at Bike Rumor have weighed in on where it's at and what's happenin' in 2019:

https://bikerumor.com/2019/03/15/201...uy-a-new-bike/ --> Mountain bikes

https://bikerumor.com/2019/01/29/201...uy-a-new-bike/ --> Road bikes

https://bikerumor.com/2019/02/12/201...uy-a-new-bike/ --> Gravel bikes

Fun reading for gear heads.

I see today's bicycle headtubes/headsets, bottom brackets/cranks, brake mounts, fork ends/hub/axle, over locknut dimensions, tire/rim interfaces, front derailleur mountings, shifting, indexing, freehub/cassettes, even handlebar/stems have all taken a trip to the Tower of Babel. I'm sure the situation won't ever become as dire as Betamax, and if you buy a new bike every few years I guess it's no big deal anyway, but if you hang onto your bikes for years, you have to guess which competing "standard" will stand the test of time and still have repair/replacement/upgrade parts available in the future.

Last edited by tcs; 03-27-19 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-27-19, 06:13 PM
BobL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Midway
Nice thread to read through BobL as I’ve been out of the loop twice as long as you; 15 years off the bike and I’m finding the same thing. My bike is late 90’s as is my components, an Avocet 40 Cycling “Computer”, and poor fitting Nike shoes.

First on my list is a new set of shoes and to find out if my look style pedals are still in vogue.

Fortunately there is no shortage of information on the web. My 10th post, now I can read PM’s and post links and pictures, I think.
I thought I had set it up so that I'd get an email if someone replied to this thread. I've been out of touch.

My newest bike is from 2005. While I bought my older bike (Trek 5200) sold as a '98, Bicycle Blue Book doesn't show my color as being '98, only '97. I'm still wearing my old Shimano shoes with Look cleats, old shorts, everything old. And they seem to be looking their age. Might be time for a bike store road trip.

Anyway, I have no real answers. My wife was getting physical therapy back in December and her trips suddenly reminded me that they typically work with very light weights as that's often enough to get a non-professional athlete back moving again. So I made a practice of standing on one foot around the house. No weights, just balance on one foot. The only time I'm sure I'll be standing in one place for a few minutes every day is while brushing my teeth, so I stand on each leg for a minute. Timed by Sonicare toothbrush. Started in December and I think it has helped. If I'm standing around waiting for the oven or something, I'll stand on one foot for a while, too.

My current issue is that my wife and I were out washing the cars back the first weekend of March, and she tripped over the garden hose and fell. Landed hard on our concrete walkway. Broke a piece off the top of her left thigh bone. As a result, the surgeon has her on a walker with orders not to do anything. So I'm doing everything around the house, I'm not riding outdoors, just inside on my magneto trainer. While the chances of getting hit aren't particularly high, call it 1 in a few thousand, it would be particularly bad if it did happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.