Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Unpacking a 24 inch bike-

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 07:56 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts

This breakdown supplements my earlier thread on packing a 20 inch bike. Just returned from a DC trip and "accidentally" found a better way to pack my 24 inch folder. I am always adjusting my packing (self-professed efficiency freak here) and wanted to document the process from packed to unpacked for those interested and/or concerned on fitting a larger bike into a regular suitcase.

Let's start by comparing suitcases- the orange F'lite suitcase is used for my 20 inch folder, the black Bule is for the 24 inch folder. Note the dimensions are not that different. Both are just about equal in length with the Bule being about 3-4 inches taller, but about 1-2 inches thinner. The taller case is needed to accommodate the 24 inch rims. Both of these suitcases have been used multiple times to fly domestically in the USA without check in issue, even though both are just over the size restriction.

Opening the suitcase reveals a tightly packed bike. I like to use dense foam to minimize movement and boost protection. To that end I incorporate my cycling shoes and gear bag (see to the side and under the handle bars) into the frame protection by removing any voids.

1st step is to remove the wheels and supporting layer of foam. Like my 20 inch folder, I advocate the overlaying rims versus one under and one over the frame. The frame packing is now more visible. As part of my sarcastic personality (also the efficiently freak thing) I re-utilize the TSA inspection receipts as frame protectors, since they help prevent scratching the rims.

Next I removed all of the peripherals. I included the image to provide a general awareness of what you can fit in the suitcase with the bike and still stay under the weight limit. This setup puts me at 48 pounds.

Once those and the frame foam packing are removed you can better gauge how much space you will have to work with. The seat/seat post is still in between the frame (yellow twisty). Light plastic along the frame is just for scratch protection (I prefer twists). Note that with my setup- long fork stem, I remove the carbon fork and pack it alongside the frame. Airnimals with the quick release headset do not require the removal.

Using the suitcase an assembly desk, the frame is unfolded and seat post inserted. The handle bars and fork are prepped for re-assembly. Note the yellow twist ties inside the headset holding race bearings in place. One of the pluses for removing the forks is I take this time to remove any dirt or mud that may have snuck inside the headset and apply a dab of grease on the races when needed.

The frame is fully assembled with the fork and handle bars. Twist ties remain in the case for the next time.

The Park Tools dummy hub is removed (highly recommend using one to minimize chain issues), frame removed from the suitcase/desk and bike placed upside down for the wheel assembly. I install each wheel and add the QR skewers afterwards.

Last step before making adjustments is removing the QR skewers and pedals from the storage bag and installing. Grease is also applied as needed inside the QR pedal inserts.

Bike goes right side up. Final adjustments are made to the handlebars and seat. Lights and cell phone holder are added and 110PSI added to the tires. The 24 inch folder is now ready to rock.

Time to re-assemble 15-20 minutes.

Last edited by kayakindude; 06-17-19 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-19-19, 12:40 PM
tomtomtom123

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
What's the brand and size of the suitcase? I thought "standard" commercially available suitcases that are under the 158cm linear dimension limit are usually less than 47cm wide inside, which is just enough for a partially inflated 406 wheel, which needs a minimum of 43-45cm. A 24" wheel probably needs at least 53-55cm.

For example, this is the widest suitcase (XL) I could find cheaply that might pass standard limits (it's 161cm but might fool a check-in agent), and it's 49cm inside.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/KESSER-3tlg-...L/222872196743

Grösse M
Boardgepäck ca. 57 x 37 x 24 cm (Aussenmass, inkl. Rollen und Griffe) ca. 49 x 35 x 24 cm (Innenmass, ohne Rollen und Griffe) Gewicht: ca. 3,1 kg Volumen: bis zu 45 L

Grösse L
ca. 67 x 47 x 27 cm (Aussenmass, inkl. Rollen und Griffe) ca. 59 x 42 x 27 cm (Innenmass) Gewicht: ca. 3,9 kg Volumen: bis zu 78 L

Grösse XL
ca. 77 x 52 x 32 cm (Aussenmass, inkl. Rollen und Griffe) ca. 69 x 49 x 32 cm (Innenmass) Gewicht: ca. 5,0 kg Volumen: bis zu 124 L

Do you take off the hanger and derailleur? They could get bent easily. Does TSA inspect every time?

I was thinking that it might be safer to pack the frame and the wheels in separate suitcases so the frame is less likely to be banged by other components, and inspectors would have less chance of repacking everything out of place, reducing the chance of damage during transport. It would also avoid the suitcases from becoming overweight, so the possible overweight fees could instead go towards a 2nd piece baggage fee. For example my bike is around 18kg including all components including the racks, mudguards, saddle, U-lock, etc. A hardcase is around 5kg. Foam and other packing materials is probably 1kg, so it might go over 23kg. If I split the frame and wheels into separate cases, I could instead fill each with some panniers.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 06-19-19 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-20-19, 12:07 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Here is some info on my Bule suitcase, which came with the bike.

Airnimal: great bikes for travel

I leave the derailleur on and facing inside the packing (meaning between the frame and wheels). I protect it with foam. It sounds weird but TSA has only inspected this once (out of roughly 25 flights), while my Dahon has been inspected 3 times in as many trips. Perhaps it is because there is lot more open space when the 24 inch is packed so it looks less suspicious.

Not a bad idea to separate one or both rims, though I've had no issues with fitting it all in and staying below weight. It is tight with my skinny tires, so I am unsure if a bigger tire (like Helix) might have an issue.
Old 06-20-19, 12:53 PM
tomtomtom123

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Hmm, it says 67 linear inches, which is 5 inches or 12cm larger than most standard size limits for airline check-in. But it seems wide enough for 24 inch tires. I've sometimes seen some agents measuring baggage sizes so there is still a chance of it getting charged for oversize. They might let go a couple of centimeters, but 12cm might not pass, for example if you fly on a budget airline that makes money on service charges.
Old 06-20-19, 04:47 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
Hmm, it says 67 linear inches, which is 5 inches or 12cm larger than most standard size limits for airline check-in. But it seems wide enough for 24 inch tires. I've sometimes seen some agents measuring baggage sizes so there is still a chance of it getting charged for oversize. They might let go a couple of centimeters, but 12cm might not pass, for example if you fly on a budget airline that makes money on service charges.
I had a case fail the tape-measure test many years ago, and it was expensive. All of cases now are under the 62” limit.
Old 06-21-19, 10:18 AM
kayakindude

I can only speak from personal experience. I primarily fly Southwest and always keep it 2 pounds or more under the 50 pound limit. If you look at my 1st photo you can see that the height and width are the minimum needed if you want to keep the tires on a 24inch rim. I have some room in the case but the drop bars take up their share of space. You could definitely go with less length with flat bars.

To me, getting charged an oversize fee once every 20 or even 10 times would be worth it for the extra protection you can build around the bike with the extra room. It has not happened yet and I already get free checked bags with SW so my math comes out way ahead.
Old 06-25-19, 09:22 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
That is one super sweet folding bike!

Originally Posted by kayakindude
I can only speak from personal experience. I primarily fly Southwest and always keep it 2 pounds or more under the 50 pound limit.
I generally shoot for 49.5, but sometimes I come in right at 50, last time I flew with a 50 pound tool box the agent went to pick up my tool box and was visibly immediately annoyed by it, she put it back on the scale, and it still read 50.0, I just stood there smiling...

Considering how much annoyance air travel has caused me over the years I do take a bit of pleasure in annoying them for a change.