Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn road bikes a are...insert answer here

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-09, 03:14 PM
soonerbills
soonerbills

Bikes: 25 at last count. One day I'll make a list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another forum has a raging battle on whether non high end Schwinn road bikes are becoming the new hot collectible bike... here is the link...

https://www.schwinnbike.com/usa/eng/f...ad.php?t=78244

I really want to believe that the Schwinn's I have accumulated are becoming more valuable but I know that at least here in Oklahoma they are for the most part inexpensive though they are becoming somewhat less plentiful.

Last edited by soonerbills; 12-24-09 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-24-09, 03:16 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,398 Times in 2,093 Posts
The Schwinn forum is 1/10th smarts, 9/10th bull. The posting was started by one of eBay's finest jerks in the flipping department (search BF for "Bicycleheaven"), and with exception to Eric and a few others, the rest of the posts are about as insightful as a bunch of Craigslisters with $500 Free Spirits.

Hell, I can't read half of the posts there for the bad English. When the effort required is more then the content is worth, I give up.

-Kurt

P.S.: Most of those guys seem to think a stock Varsity has acceptable braking. Would you rely on someone like this to throw reliable figures of value around?

Last edited by cudak888; 12-24-09 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-24-09, 03:28 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts
Schwinn Road Bikes Are.... selling for significantly more than comparable bikes from that era.

Next big thing to collect? No..

Are they something buyers will pay a premium for? YES, definitely. They enjoy a nice "EF" premium.

I have seen buyers prefer an early 1970s Varsity over a mid 1980s, mid grade, Japanese road bike. I've got to admit the old EF Schwinns have a certain style to them. But as something to ride, a 40 pound Varsity with steel wheels, versus a nice 25 pound Fuji? W*T*F? I definitely don't understand it.

If anything, considering the millions of them made during the bike boom, you would think they would not have a premium at all.

I even had a Craigs List bidding war on the last Varsity I sold, and I had thought I priced it at the higher end to begin with.

I am not interested in accumulation, I would prefer to move them on to a new home. If I was going to keep a vintage Schwinn, I would move up the food chain a bit, and into the 1980s. Something like a Schwinn Circuit would be pretty nice (I have had a Tempo and a Prelude).

Last edited by wrk101; 12-24-09 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-24-09, 03:51 PM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
....of no interest to me. Well, a pre-war Paramount would be a keeper though.
Old 12-24-09, 03:57 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3094 Post(s)
Liked 6,616 Times in 3,791 Posts
Schwinn road bikes a are... somewhat indestructible.

Old 12-24-09, 03:58 PM
soonerbills
soonerbills

Bikes: 25 at last count. One day I'll make a list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Varsity that is a upgrade project..another that is a resto project. A World Sport that is a regular rider and a couple of LeTours that are in the undecided section...
that's about it besides a couple of 80's parts bikes
Like I said..I have no dreams that they will ever be really valuable but I know better...and I like them. The EF Varsity has always amazed me...It is such a unique thing...obviously cheap but strangely beautiful
Old 12-24-09, 04:08 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I got an '87 Super Sport and will get a right priced (read: less than top of the line Italian bikes of the same era) pre-Waterford Paramount in a heart beat, but that's about it as far as Schwinn keepers go for me. Not that there are not some other great Schwinn bikes out there that are desirable (like the 70s fillet-brazed frames and everything with Columbus steel; but they are redundant to my bikes at this point). I think pretty much everything else is nostalgia-driven as far as Schwinn prices go...
Old 12-24-09, 04:12 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Schwinn road bikes a are...Bad ass! I have a Schwinn SuperSport, SportTourer,LeTour III, and a Series 5 Paramount, I'm a bike collector, I collect bikes that I like/want, not bikes that everyone else likes/wants, you guys can figure out what type of collectors you are.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 12-24-09, 04:13 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
On the Schwinn forum...

I have a Schwinn triplet tandem I was asking about and was given information that was outright wrong. One member tried to convince me it was worthless (but he'd take it off my hands). I found the folks on that site to be totally worthless.

Anyway....after telling me that he had bought a Schwinn triplet for $250 (and was trying to buy mine for $200) I naturally offered him $800 for his...a large profit margin if he paid $250 for it. Oddly enough, he never answered back.
Old 12-24-09, 04:18 PM
divineAndbright

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... arent common in Canada (or at least my neck of the woods).. ive seen 2 so far.
Gotta say I like most paramounts ive seen photos of, the superior appears amazing and the volare is nice too. Some of the late 80s jobs seem to be great used bang for your used buck deals like the tempos and what have you, not bad to look at either.
Old 12-24-09, 04:21 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 432 Posts
I think the appeal of the older Schwinns is that they were made in the USA, and not that they were anything special in terms of design or sophistication. The oldest bike in my stable is a 1975 Schwinn Speedster, which I bought new for $110. That would be equivalent to $442 today for a 46 pound bicycle with 3 speeds, one piece cranks and a welded mild steel frame. I could probably find something similar at WMart for under $100. IMO the only Schwinns worth collecting are the USA made Paramounts.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP0450.jpg (99.6 KB, 49 views)
IMGP0441.jpg (104.8 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 12-24-09 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-24-09, 04:30 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never been interested in Shwyns, Schuwinns, Shawinns, or however you like to mis-spell them on Craigslist. They just don't have that magic... unless you are talking about a super high end Paramount or a super old high end bike.

I'm ready to be convinced there is something to them... but ya gotta have something really good to say about them.
Old 12-24-09, 04:43 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Oh, and to answer the original question:

Schwinn road bikes are...
Crap, with a few exceptions. The Paramount and both generations of Superiors.

With all due respect, I still think that the fillet brazed Super Sports and Sports Tourers (along with the Sports Limited) remain in the "uncertain" category for their built-in kickstands. That said, I can't get myself to accept the Super Sport's Ashtabula BB shell as acceptable - adapter or not.

Mind you, I'm not excluding the LeTours, Voyageurs, or other nice lugged machines - but they were made for Schwinn by Japanese firms who knew what they were doing. Can you call them "Schwinns?" In name only.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 12-24-09 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-24-09, 04:55 PM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like all of my Schwinns. Do I believe they are the next collectible.. Nope. I ride them because I enjoy. If they get to the point where I can not afford to enjoy I will most likely move on.
Old 12-24-09, 04:56 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I have an 85 SS that enters well into acceptable for me. Columbus Tenax, curled seat stay caps, lugged rear brake bridge, dual bottle cage mounts, etc.. (No kickstand!)The forks even
have drilled stiffeners on the inner legs. That translates into "not crap" to me. The EF frames? Ehhh... They sell okay, but the amount of work to make one look acceptable
is by all means, unacceptable.,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 12-24-09 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-24-09, 05:15 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
I didn't grow up in America (but live here now), so to me there's no nostalgia associated with the name Schwinn. With the emotional aspect removed they all seem pretty average in appeal, and certainly in quality. I don't need any.
Old 12-24-09, 05:17 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I've passed up a couple of Super Sports lately, that I could have had for a song. I really hadn't considered that they could be appreciating so much - especially given that the supply of other (reasonably priced) high quality US-made bikes from that era is drying up.
Old 12-24-09, 05:28 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by auchencrow
I've passed up a couple of Super Sports lately, that I could have had for a song. I really hadn't considered that they could be appreciating so much - especially given that the supply of other (reasonably priced) high quality US-made bikes from that era is drying up.
I'll say one thing though - Super Sports (and the other fillet models) in Opaque Blue have a sort of visual magic to them which you will not find on an Opaque Blue Paramount. There's something about the look of Opaque Blue and the fillet frames which the lugged machine cannot match.

-Kurt

Old 12-24-09, 06:11 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Schwinn road bikes are
simply puzzling.
The kid I was detested them, because only kids with money had them, and you had to buy parts from a Schwinn dealer. The class envy explanation.
The adult I became couldn't find one, as Trek took over the LBS, and I wasn't bothered at all by that. The apathy explanation.
The Tange aficianado in me appreciates many of them that others don't. The Paramount PDG explanation.
The 60's in me appreciates the chrome Paramounts. The chrome is cool explanation.
The financially bedraggled married dad in me detests them, because a Waterford Paramount would be better than Tiger Woods' cell listings. The class envy explanation.

I really haven't changed since I was 10, I guess.

Are they the next trend in C&V collecting? I doubt it, because to be a hot trend, they have to be better than what's out there, and they are not.

Then again, give $10 to a crack head and tell him you want a Schwinn, you can generally get one.
Old 12-24-09, 07:44 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen
I didn't grow up in America (but live here now), so to me there's no nostalgia associated with the name Schwinn. With the emotional aspect removed they all seem pretty average in appeal, and certainly in quality. I don't need any.
I think that the Paramounts of most eras and the Columbus Tenax bikes of the 80s were much more than average in quality. A late 80s Schwinn, be it a Peloton or a Circuit or a Supersport or a Tempo built with Columbus steel would surpass the performance of an equivalent Trek or Raleigh with full Reynolds 531 and undersell them for more than 10% at the day (and much more now). By then the French were out of the picture and the Japanese were lagging (mainly because the yen was high by then.) Italians were still hanging around (at twice the price, mind you, based mostly on mythology) and once those later Campy bits were proven inferior to Shimano (as far as index shifting went) steadily disappeared or shifted their focus on offering just framesets.

Schwinn gets a bum rap because they use to make a huge range of bikes, from entry crap to competition bikes. The fact is that a lot of the entry crap was sold as is still around now. That should not take away from the quality of their higher end stuff, which in the late 80s was way up there as a value proposition and today these bikes are some of the best bargains in the market
Old 12-24-09, 08:06 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I've seen a few Varsity's sell for ridiculous prices and an occaisional pristine Schwinn LeTour sell for more than it should, but not enough to say they're commanding big dollars for any Schwinn. If they did, I would sell my very nice 84 Traveler in a minute.

Last edited by roccobike; 12-25-09 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-24-09, 08:23 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5226 Post(s)
Liked 3,591 Times in 2,346 Posts
'70s era Varsity ... 'nuff said
Attached Images
Varsity Commuter June 2009.jpg (101.2 KB, 93 views)
Old 12-24-09, 08:40 PM
vincev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
The Schwinn forum is 1/10th smarts, 9/10th bull. The posting was started by one of eBay's finest jerks in the flipping department (search BF for "Bicycleheaven"), and with exception to Eric and a few others, the rest of the posts are about as insightful as a bunch of Craigslisters with $500 Free Spirits.

Hell, I can't read half of the posts there for the bad English. When the effort required is more then the content is worth, I give up.

-Kurt

P.S.: Most of those guys seem to think a stock Varsity has acceptable braking. Would you rely on someone like this to throw reliable figures of value around?
Hey Kurt,i know what you mean about the other forum.I go there and see you there on occasion.I put my opinion about that thread and the Varsity/Continental collectors probably didnt like my opinion that certain models will never be collectable and Paramounts,Superiors,etc .are collectable now.
Old 12-24-09, 08:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,442 Posts
I grew up in NYC, which is part of the USA, of course, but Schwinns were not that common there when I grew up. So, like Jan, I don't have the nostalgia over them. Actually, I do, but not as much as the rest of you. I didn't aspire to own a Paramount. They're top notch, but no better than a lesser-known brand such as the McLean I have.

The EF bikes are low quality when judged by the ride but high quality when judged by the durability. That's what's unusual about them. They're crap to ride but if they're not abused, a mechanic will prefer them heavily over a department store bike. Schwinn used some high quality components. The threads were precisely made, the spokes were often double butted, the races were hard and precise, etc.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-24-09, 09:28 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
If I go by what you guys are saying I would have to beleive my Japanese made series 5 Paramount is a piece of ****!?

You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.