Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Is my ebike range normal?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-22, 06:21 AM
Xxtraloud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have done roughly 300 km on a new Giant Entour E+ 2020 , so about 4-5 recharge cycles. I have been testing the bike in the city with mostly flat terrain and I get at most 70 km on a charge. In my last test I only got 60 km and always used assistance 2/5 (Eco+). The estimated range on a full charge on Eco+ is about 110 km, I understand that this is mostly theoretical, but 60km seems too little. The battery is 400 Wh and motor 60 Nm/250 W. This is a 2020 model, so it was in display for a while, but li-on should have limited decay if kept partly charged, no? Is a 60-70 km real-world range acceptable considering this bike specs?

The other puzzling thing is that the battery goes straight from 5-6% to 1%, and this has happened twice already, so the estimated range of 7-8 km was reduced to zero without notice. Is this normal?

I want to contact the shop about a possible battery replacement but would like to know if this is a reasonable request considering these results.
Old 12-23-22, 06:59 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I have found that the most important factor to consider for range is speed. If I want to go max speed everywhere I go, my range suffers. If I am willing to ride slow, the motor has to put in less power relative to my own. If I want to go anywhere near max speed, I have to put in a decent amount of effort, and the motor is maxed out, and it is doing most of the work cutting through the wind. The faster you go, the more power is lost in the wind.
Old 12-23-22, 09:49 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
right speed is the killer. but also you can use more battery if y0u are a really strong rider because the harder you can push the more them motor helps. I have been sick a lot and I measured how this works on my Bosch powered bike. like if I averaged less then 120 watts (my output) or above 150 watts I would use less juice then 120 or 150 watts. I didn't to see a bit increase when I was close to 200 but its been a long time since I could do that.
Old 12-23-22, 11:07 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 634 Posts
Range varies and is related to speed, weight, wind, outside temperature, elevation change and how much assist you're providing, but many individuals state that at 18 - 20 mph, you should use about 20 wh per mile for a 175 pound rider, no wind, flat terrain and moderate pedaling. Assuming your battery is 500wh, you should expect 25 - 30 miles, so if these parameters describe your conditions, 60 km (36 miles) seems about right. I rode 23 miles the other day and only used 40% of a 52V, 4 ah battery or 80 wh, so about 4 wh per mile with lots of pedaling on a relatively flat route with only a little off road (mostly bike path), but at other times my consumption has been much greater, as high as 40 wh per mile at higher speed ascending 3000' on a 7% - 8% average grade in eight miles up a mountain; of course, I used no wh coming back.. .
Likes For 2old:
Old 12-23-22, 11:08 AM
Xxtraloud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
I have found that the most important factor to consider for range is speed. If I want to go max speed everywhere I go, my range suffers. If I am willing to ride slow, the motor has to put in less power relative to my own. If I want to go anywhere near max speed, I have to put in a decent amount of effort, and the motor is maxed out, and it is doing most of the work cutting through the wind. The faster you go, the more power is lost in the wind.
Ok that makes sense but I often keep an eye on the power meter and since I am often close to the limit of the assistance (25km/h), I see that the power bar is usually 1 or 2 when cruising instead of being around 2-3 when starting. And I think Giant estimates take into consideration that cruising speed is somewhere around 20-25km/h.

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
right speed is the killer. but also you can use more battery if y0u are a really strong rider because the harder you can push the more them motor helps. I have been sick a lot and I measured how this works on my Bosch powered bike. like if I averaged less then 120 watts (my output) or above 150 watts I would use less juice then 120 or 150 watts. I didn't to see a bit increase when I was close to 200 but its been a long time since I could do that.
Thanks for the feedback, see my response above. I actually don't think I use assistance as much because it regularly cuts off when I reach the cut off speed of 25km/h.

And then there's the 6% to 1% instantaneous dip of the battery. How do I know if I got an old/flaky battery?
Old 12-23-22, 11:42 AM
fooferdoggie 

commuting eat up my battery more then riding on a bike path or longer ride. but it could be the battery.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 12-23-22 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-23-22, 11:48 AM
Xxtraloud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
committing eat up my battery more then riding on a bike path or longer ride. but it could be the battery.
Based on the Bosch range calculator it seems 60-70km on a 400 W battery is reasonable.
Old 12-23-22, 12:20 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
in my experience with e bike batteries, the indicator/meter is never accurate when you get down to 10% or less. The fall off is rapid. Also, it's not a great idea to run your battery down all the way.
Old 12-23-22, 12:30 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Xxtraloud
Based on the Bosch range calculator it seems 60-70km on a 400 W battery is reasonable.
myself I almost never get the max range. but I get more then 10 extra miles when not commuting even though my average is faster.
Old 12-27-22, 12:28 PM
Xxtraloud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
in my experience with e bike batteries, the indicator/meter is never accurate when you get down to 10% or less. The fall off is rapid. Also, it's not a great idea to run your battery down all the way.
I think it might be a way to avoid the complete discharge of the battery. Because at 1% the battery can still power the lights and the computer, it just doesn't power the motor. But it's just a guess.
Old 12-29-22, 10:37 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 196 Posts
400 Wh battery? I typically get 10 WH/mile on my hubmotor bikes at 22-24 k,/hr. which is 40 miles or 66 km, equivalent to your 70 km. To get 110 km, I would have lower my consumption to 7 WH/mile. I'd have to lose 60 pounds.