Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

SS Road conversion

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

SS Road conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-18, 09:42 AM
Harvieu25

Bikes: Novara MTN, Merlin Moots Fatbeat, Specialized Allez, Merlin Extralight, BH Ultralight RC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SS Road conversion

Looking to get into a drop bar road bike, single speed (non fixie) to have a dedicated Silver Comet bike. Have many questions but don't know how to ask them due to ignorance about this topic. Is it easier to convert/build a road bike frame, along with a chain tensioner, or go with a track/fixie type and have to worry about rear wheel alignment?
Old 06-10-18, 09:48 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't want a tensioner. The whole idea of SS is simplicity and an efficient drive train. Aligning the rear wheel is very easy.
Old 06-10-18, 03:37 PM
Harvieu25

Bikes: Novara MTN, Merlin Moots Fatbeat, Specialized Allez, Merlin Extralight, BH Ultralight RC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are most SS bikes easy to change chainrings or cogs or do some come with a components that don't allow for that?
Old 06-10-18, 03:54 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Harvieu25
Are most SS bikes easy to change chainrings or cogs or do some come with a components that don't allow for that?
Easy. Except for some of the cheapest bikes which come with cranks that do not allow chainring swaps. Rear cogs and freewheels are pretty much standard and can be swapped as needed.
Old 06-17-18, 11:59 AM
eric044

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS, Spalding Road Step Through Single Speed, Kent Road Single Speed, 630 Cruiser, Fuji Odessa mountain bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been trying different setups for a few years. If converting a road bike with a freehub I suppose an 8-10 speed freehub is preferable to an 11 speed freehub, though I don't know that from experience. You could use Shimano, Origin8, and Wheels Manufacturing for cogs and spacers. The threaded freewheel hubs are generally significantly longer in between flanges from what I've noticed. But, you said you weren't interested in fixies and you don't need to get into threaded hubs. If you are interested in track style riding then I think a threaded hub may be preferable.

You may need a vice, specific vice wrench, chain whip, lockring spanner, and cassette/freewheel removal tools, though maybe not all of them. I'm currently deciding between a Pedro's vice wrench and a chain whip style lockring tool, and would go for the vice tool if I was working.
Old 06-17-18, 12:04 PM
eric044

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS, Spalding Road Step Through Single Speed, Kent Road Single Speed, 630 Cruiser, Fuji Odessa mountain bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trying to recall whether a rear hub ever takes a lockring spanner but not certain.