Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 05-18-20, 10:20 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Sure is interesting how when times are bad companies are all "we're all in this together, sacrifices will need to be made among everyone" but when times are good I don't hear a lot of "we're all in this together, here's a portion of all the extra money we made this year".

We even have profit sharing at my current company. I've heard they haven't gotten it in a while, always some excuse, some project in some part of the company that didn't go well enough. But a month into this Covid thing and they're removing our 401k match, vacation is being restricted, layoffs and furloughs and pay cuts and hour cuts are happening.

I'm guessing I couldn't go to management and be like "I overspent last month, I'm not going to be contributing my portion of the health insurance this month as was laid out in my contract, but I'll expect you to pick up the difference, thanks". But they can cut off 401k and reduce vacation at the drop of a hat and nobody can say no, even though those were earned as part our work and we didn't agree to them, or even get asked.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 05-18-20, 10:36 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Speaking of TSS per workout, I'm wondering what the difference is between head unit pausing the ride while stopped vs recoding zeros while stopped. My Joule from a few years ago kept recording. My new Wahoo bolt doesn't. I could set it up to if I want to. On the one hand if it keeps recording it will be a longer ride, but OTOH it will be less power. Anyone ever tried measuring both simultaneously?
Old 05-18-20, 10:47 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
But which PM is correct? The Wahoo or the crank-based one. BTS is assuming there are a lot of drivetrain losses on the crank because he is going faster than he thinks he should based on the power he put out. But maybe the Wahoo is way off? I've been using my wife's Kickr recently, and I was quite surprised at how much higher some of the numbers were compared to my SRM. What happens if you replace the crank and find that the Wahoo is still 30w higher?
Old 05-18-20, 11:22 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Yeah, I'm curious about the types of power meters BTS has. I've heard from multiple people that Kickrs aren't very accurate.
Old 05-18-20, 11:38 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Uhhhhm, bigger news:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/...-and-more.html

I still see routes on mine. I don't pay, slowly the change is happening?
Old 05-18-20, 11:55 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
If you're bouncing between multiple PM's, then yeah it makes sense to have them calibrated among themselves. But if you've got only one PM, what difference does it make as long as it's consistent? A 1w gain is a 1w gain no matter what.

It's like the spinal tap joke about "this amp goes to 11" -- it's not louder because the dial reads 11, it's louder because it puts out more decibels. It makes no difference what the scale on the dial reads, the thing that matters is the volume coming out.
Old 05-18-20, 11:55 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by topflightpro
But which PM is correct? The Wahoo or the crank-based one. BTS is assuming there are a lot of drivetrain losses on the crank because he is going faster than he thinks he should based on the power he put out. But maybe the Wahoo is way off? I've been using my wife's Kickr recently, and I was quite surprised at how much higher some of the numbers were compared to my SRM. What happens if you replace the crank and find that the Wahoo is still 30w higher?
I might not have mentioned earlier, I own TWO different meters and the Kickr. I first verified this against the other meter by doing a constant speed test on the old school fluid. Get them to 20mph on the fluid for a min or two, so it doesn't change temperature, then swap meters and do it again.

The other meter matches the Kickr, and reality. It's just way too long for a road and TT bike. It's a gravel bike crank length. It's a 175mm. I ain't running that on a road or TT bike.

The final verification is that when using the worksheet math to analyze rides and guess at my CdA, even with a road helmet and road kit..........I'd have to be in the range of a .185 CdA for the power to make any sense. No way Jose on that end.
Old 05-18-20, 12:01 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I'm surprised it took them this long to do that. I have no idea how they make money, spare advertisement and few subscribers.

I just want them to either have an option or remove people on the leaderboard without HR and Power data.
Old 05-18-20, 12:03 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
3 years since Chris Cornell left.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-18-20, 12:24 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmxaFf-lpZY
superunknown is still one of the best albums of all time
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 05-18-20, 12:42 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I might not have mentioned earlier, I own TWO different meters and the Kickr. I first verified this against the other meter by doing a constant speed test on the old school fluid. Get them to 20mph on the fluid for a min or two, so it doesn't change temperature, then swap meters and do it again.

The other meter matches the Kickr, and reality. It's just way too long for a road and TT bike. It's a gravel bike crank length. It's a 175mm. I ain't running that on a road or TT bike.

The final verification is that when using the worksheet math to analyze rides and guess at my CdA, even with a road helmet and road kit..........I'd have to be in the range of a .185 CdA for the power to make any sense. No way Jose on that end.
What are the power meters you're using?
Old 05-18-20, 12:56 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Sure is interesting how when times are bad companies are all "we're all in this together, sacrifices will need to be made among everyone" but when times are good I don't hear a lot of "we're all in this together, here's a portion of all the extra money we made this year".

We even have profit sharing at my current company. I've heard they haven't gotten it in a while, always some excuse, some project in some part of the company that didn't go well enough. But a month into this Covid thing and they're removing our 401k match, vacation is being restricted, layoffs and furloughs and pay cuts and hour cuts are happening.

I'm guessing I couldn't go to management and be like "I overspent last month, I'm not going to be contributing my portion of the health insurance this month as was laid out in my contract, but I'll expect you to pick up the difference, thanks". But they can cut off 401k and reduce vacation at the drop of a hat and nobody can say no, even though those were earned as part our work and we didn't agree to them, or even get asked.
I work for a public university and we got a small pay cut. The loss of contributions to our 403b is much larger, but hasn't been commented on nearly as much as the smaller pay cut (the two cuts together total up to 10% of our compensation). And now, we're looking at losses in enrollment for the next year (so decreased income) and the state is telling us they're going to cut what they're giving us as well, so I'm fairly confident that another one-sided change to our contracts is coming.
Old 05-18-20, 01:08 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Both are gen2 Stages meters. It shouldn't be this far off. Oh well. Live and learn. Maybe something nicer next time instead.
Old 05-18-20, 01:10 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Wow, really? Now I've going to go stream a bunch of him covering other folks. I love his Nothing Compares 2U cover. Not that his own stuff isn't great.
Old 05-18-20, 01:17 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Both are gen2 Stages meters. It shouldn't be this far off. Oh well. Live and learn. Maybe something nicer next time instead.
One-sided power is a trap. Buy ass pedals or a quarq.
Old 05-18-20, 01:19 PM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by furiousferret
I have no idea how they make money, spare advertisement and few subscribers.
They don't. All VC/PE funded.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 05-18-20, 01:23 PM
topflightpro

Uggh. One of my neighbors (or friend of a neighbor) has a massive subwoofer in their car. Everyday, I hear the bass thumping. It's like they sit in their car for 20 min. every afternoon or evening just playing their music way too loudly.

And they are not close. It's probably 300 yards away with a house and trees between us. Even weirder, if I go outside, I can hear it a bit in my back yard, not at all in the front. But in the house, it just thumps. It's incredibly annoying.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 05-18-20, 01:24 PM
topflightpro

So even your two Stages PMs are not agreeing with each other? That's not good.
Old 05-18-20, 01:30 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

So even your two Stages PMs are not agreeing with each other? That's not good.
It basically goes, let's say for 250w:

Stages gen 2 175mm for gravel bike: 250w
Stages gen 2 165mm for TT/road: 220w
Kickr: 248w

I got both Stages left meters used. I probably need to get something new, with warranty. I don't care too much about the gravel/cross bike meter's reading so wish that it was the one that was wonky and not the frequently used TT/road meter.
Old 05-18-20, 01:57 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
It basically goes, let's say for 250w:

Stages gen 2 175mm for gravel bike: 250w
Stages gen 2 165mm for TT/road: 220w
Kickr: 248w

I got both Stages left meters used. I probably need to get something new, with warranty. I don't care too much about the gravel/cross bike meter's reading so wish that it was the one that was wonky and not the frequently used TT/road meter.
Did you set the crank arm length properly on both stages? I don't know the specifics, but my dual ass (calling them that now KP) have a setting on the firmware accessible through the app that sets the crank length.
Old 05-18-20, 02:04 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Did you set the crank arm length properly on both stages? I don't know the specifics, but my dual ass (calling them that now KP) have a setting on the firmware accessible through the app that sets the crank length.
When I pull up the Stages app on the iphone you can use to zero offset it, it gives the correct length. No idea if the head unit sees the correct length, don't think it even cars. I thought the meter is the only thing that cares then transmits cadence and power.

Even if that was wrong, it's 167.5 vs. 165mm. 2.5mm won't make up a 10+ percent difference in power.

But, if somehow I could hack that length, I could probably get it to read identical to the other meters though! Not sure if that's possible or not.

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/...-meter/28240/7
Old 05-18-20, 02:08 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
My Stages is 20w high, the Assiomas and Neos are pretty close. Both the latter have a good reputation, so I stick to those. Stages are known to be a bit erratic.

The Stages is on my CX bike so I'm not overly concerned about the numbers it puts out as its either a commute or a spiky off road ride.
Old 05-18-20, 02:19 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
My take is that digital advertising is being directed to Facebook, Amazon and Google. Strava’s ad revenue must be way down. IMO, they will have to generate a lot more subscription revenue to survive.
Old 05-18-20, 03:05 PM
big john

Uggh. One of my neighbors (or friend of a neighbor) has a massive subwoofer in their car. Everyday, I hear the bass thumping. It's like they sit in their car for 20 min. every afternoon or evening just playing their music way too loudly.

And they are not close. It's probably 300 yards away with a house and trees between us. Even weirder, if I go outside, I can hear it a bit in my back yard, not at all in the front. But in the house, it just thumps. It's incredibly annoying.
It's so rude. When my neighbor has a party I can feel the sub-woofer in my shower. Nearly impossible to sleep even with ear plugs. I asked them several times and the last party they turned it off at midnight.
Old 05-18-20, 03:15 PM
big john

Originally Posted by himespau
Wow, really? Now I've going to go stream a bunch of him covering other folks. I love his Nothing Compares 2U cover. Not that his own stuff isn't great.
He did Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" live on a local radio station. That was memorable. Hard to understand why he and Chester Bennington did it when they seemed to have everything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.