Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Old 06-17-20, 09:01 PM
Brian Gunter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That is a nice Voyageur, but still a little big. Is that an SP?
Old 06-17-20, 09:07 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Gunter
That is a nice Voyageur, but still a little big. Is that an SP?
Thank you, sir, and no, sir, it’s a standard Voyageur!
Likes For Phamilton:
Old 06-17-20, 09:14 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
I have a 58 cm '93 Specialized Sequoia frameset that I bought to build up, but decided it was too small, so I've been hanging on to it to build for the kids when they get big enough. Yours is the first other one I've seen (and the first I've seen built up).
Old 06-17-20, 09:23 PM
Brian Gunter

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
This is the original setup. It is mostly Shimano components with front and rear fenders. It also had an option for a dynamo under the BB that powers a front and rear light. There is a lever behind the downtube that engages the dynamo. This bike came with that option and still has the original working dynamo and lights (which I hear is pretty rare for these).

Old 06-17-20, 10:25 PM
Brian Gunter

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I have a 58 cm '93 Specialized Sequoia frameset that I bought to build up, but decided it was too small, so I've been hanging on to it to build for the kids when they get big enough. Yours is the first other one I've seen (and the first I've seen built up).
I posted some info and pics of original components for the 1993 Sequoia above.
Old 06-18-20, 12:11 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
My Sequoia 650b Conversion

This is one of my most comfortable and sweet-riding bikes:

I guess I hadn't really thought about it as a touring bike - All my bikes are touring bikes the way I use them.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 06-18-20, 08:06 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
There are so many classics popping up for sale the last two months or so. I'm lucky to be in a position to jump on them when I can. People are clearing out their garages! I have this exact 1984 520 in my wife's size, but I never thought I would run across one in my size.

Likes For casanewt:
Old 06-19-20, 05:35 AM
WastedYouth
Old dogs love new tricks

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some super sweet bikes in this thread, too many to mention. Recently acquired these old English bikes. A Wearwell, a Phillips and a Humber.
All have been personalised before and aren't factory colours/themes anymore but getting slowly finding more info on them and figuring out what they are and how they should look. Amazing things they are.

Here is my Wearwell, unknown year and model but I believe it to be a roadster of some sort.

Was worse for wear when I collected it (excuse the pun) and have slowly polished it up, straightened a few things and aired up the tyres.

After a few hours and a handful of beverages it was semi shiny but most of all rideable. Such an incredible bike.

Where the interest started...

Some features are the Miller dynamo, Missile wheel lock with key, hockey stick chain guard, rear mud guard reflector, Wrights saddle seat and Sturmey Archer hub.

In the cave awaiting their time. Wee peek of the polished dynamo...

Posted up after it's first ride in xx years pre polish treatment. Most of these pictures are for my mother who found them so aren't quite detailed in the spec department but show an overall view.

Once time appears again I'll be back in the shed with more detailed pictures, and getting back into the groove of things.

Blue bike is the Humber, built in steering lock, with the wheel of life chain sprocket, duplex fork design, cable operated brake, handle bar bell, Brook's saddle seat and Sturmey Archer rear hub. Features Raleigh cranks so believed to be late 60s. Not original but still magnificent.

The maroon bike is the Phillips, sporting the Brooks saddle seat, Perry rear hub and a metallic blue under the terrible paint job. Also built by Raleigh if I remember correctly. If anyone has any info on these things I'd appreciate the knowledge and any input on you guys may have on these machines
Likes For WastedYouth:
Old 06-19-20, 08:29 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by stokessd
Well then:
Here's my late 80's touring bike. It's a Georgina Terry custom:

https://quadesl.com/photoalbums/Misc/.../DSC01081.html

I've since replaced the 600 pedals with some spuds. And I got rid of those awful biopace rings.

Sheldon
As a family with two Terry bikes, I'd have loved to see this picture!
Old 06-20-20, 04:57 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

So, due to my crazy addiction of scouring Craigslist and FB Marketplace over the last couple of years for awesome deals, I have gathered quite a collection of Eighties touring bikes in my frame size of either 24 or 25 inch. There have been a few posts here on the forum about opinions of the ride aspects of these fine machines. I think I am going to try and ride these back to back and report my personal take on them now that I have the ability to do that. Here is what is in the arsenal: '88 Shogun Alpine GT | '87 Cannondale ST400 | '84 Fuji Touring Series IV | '84 Trek 520 | '84 Schwinn Voyageur | '80 Trek 410. I am including the Trek 410 due to it's crazy long wheelbase that is very similar to the Trek 520. I would love to hear your take on some of these fantastic bikes as well!

I have the most miles on the Fuji and the Shogun at this point. The Shogun feels noticeably faster and I think it is more than just the tire selection because the Fuji had similar tires on it for quite some time before I put the Conti Ride Tours on and it still seemed a little sluggish before. The Fuji also has the original Suntour Mountech rear and it is definitely the noisest of all the drivetrains. I have to wonder if it is developing the issues that I have heard that particular Suntour is known for.

1980 Trek 410 modified to 700c and 600SIS drivetrain

1988 Shogun Alpine GT

1984 Schwinn Voyageur

1984 Fuji Touring Series IV

1987 Cannondale ST400

1984 Trek 520

Last edited by casanewt; 06-21-20 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-21-20, 11:22 AM
casanewt

Finally got the Trek 410 out for a proper shakedown ride this morning. I can now see why so many like the ride quality of this frame. Very comfortable but also responsive. 28MM tire width is definitely one of my favorite sizes for those similar traits this frame has. She still needs some work though. This bike was updated by the PO around 1988 and switched to 700C wheels and 600 drivetrain. The rear cluster is geared way too high for my usage and the 600 SIS rear does not play nicely with the spacing of the gears and the extra cog on this 7 speed. I'll get it sorted.

Likes For casanewt:
Old 06-21-20, 02:10 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Nice 410 casanewt . I had a 420 that I sold last fall but did like how it rode, but since I had just lucked into a 1987 520 with a Reynolds 531 frame I let the 420 go, I really like how the 520 rides and finally understand what all the 531 tubing fuss is about.

1987 520

Last edited by ryansu; 06-21-20 at 05:30 PM.
Likes For ryansu:
Old 06-21-20, 07:25 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
I really like how the 520 rides and finally understand what all the 531 tubing fuss is about.

1987 520
That's looking very nice! It looks like you've built it up RIGHT.

My Trek 730 (the 1978/79 "racing" model) is more of what I imagine 531 to be like- My 531 tourers and sport tourers are great- but that racing frame is so light and compliant.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 06-22-20, 02:07 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

I got the mud flaps on last night so now it’s done for the season. I’ll get some new wheels laced up and do brifters, tires, and a stem swap this winter.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 07-09-20, 12:55 PM
Jholden

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so psyched to have found this thread. I just picked up an Austro Daimler SLE. Currently planning some upgrades to make it tour ready. I'll post photos once I'm allowed to (new acct.)
Old 07-09-20, 05:12 PM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Experimenting with my '88 Voyageur. The idea is to set it up for relaxed evening rides on the MUP.

Likes For belacqua:
Old 08-14-20, 03:47 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
not original , but vintage

I had a Voyageur champion tubed bike, with serious toe over lap 👎. The Passage with no toe overlap . I am really liking this bike, may upgrade pedeals , seat and racks. Might be the tourer I been looking for..👍

Last edited by rossiny; 08-15-20 at 07:17 AM.
Likes For rossiny:
Old 08-14-20, 04:40 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
I had just one vintage touring frame for a while, built as a restomod- '77 Schwinn Paramount P-15, notable for having factory canti braze-ons.

Then I snagged an '82 Weigle, just before Peter's French Fender Day last year. Went through a few builds, finally settled on a mostly JEX Group Suntour/Sugino/Dia-Compe build. Don't have photos of that complete build yet, looks mostly like the posted photo, but with Sugino AT crank, Suntour Cyclone MkII fder, Superbe post and different Brooks Team Pro saddle.

Most recently landed a '72 Hetchins Italia, which came with a matching factory rear rack, and original vintage Campy/Weinmann components. Subbed out the original sew-up wheelset, and went with a Rally rear derailleur i/o the original Gran Sport, and Campy Nuovo Record calipers/levers. Might be cool to do a TA triple on the Hetchins, but they're kinda pricey these days. I guess it wouldn't be hard to tripelize the Campy crankset with a modern tripelizer ring. Vintage pickings are slim.

Think I'm done with touring bikes for a while...

Old 08-15-20, 12:09 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
I had just one vintage touring frame for a while, built as a restomod- '77 Schwinn Paramount P-15, notable for having factory canti braze-ons.

Then I snagged an '82 Weigle, just before Peter's French Fender Day last year. Went through a few builds, finally settled on a mostly JEX Group Suntour/Sugino/Dia-Compe build. Don't have photos of that complete build yet, looks mostly like the posted photo, but with Sugino AT crank, Suntour Cyclone MkII fder, Superbe post and different Brooks Team Pro saddle.

Most recently landed a '72 Hetchins Italia, which came with a matching factory rear rack, and original vintage Campy/Weinmann components. Subbed out the original sew-up wheelset, and went with a Rally rear derailleur i/o the original Gran Sport, and Campy Nuovo Record calipers/levers. Might be cool to do a TA triple on the Hetchins, but they're kinda pricey these days. I guess it wouldn't be hard to tripelize the Campy crankset with a modern tripelizer ring. Vintage pickings are slim.

Think I'm done with touring bikes for a while...

You do get the nicest bikes, pcb ! I’m not giving up my Marinoni, but yours are so sweet and set up so nicely.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 08-15-20, 02:33 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
That Paramount looks amazing where did you score that
Old 08-15-20, 08:47 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
pcb

You make classy bikes.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-15-20, 03:45 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Thanks, all!

I got the Paramount on ebay, frameset only, and I kinda based the build on what I had around, and what fit. Biggest challenge on these older canti frames for me is the canti boss spacing usually being pretty narrow, so a lot of modern cantis that I like don't fit. It started out as a 2x drivetrain, more modernistic Tubus Cargo rear rack, more modernistic wheels and cheaper fenders. Might be fun to go a little more vintage, use non-aero brake levers and an older Sugino crank. I'm kinda getting used to seeing brake housing loops above the bars these days, though when I'm in Jersey traffic I do miss the 'cross levers on the bars.

The Weigle also came as a frameset, and I did a few builds, including a pain-in-the-keyster fixed gear (vertical drops), before settling on the Suntour/JEX build. I used a White Industried Dos Eno hub for the fixed build, and getting both the chain tension and the fender clearance right, simultaneously, was so not worth the trouble. First photo was a previous owner's build. I bought it from the guy who bought it from this guy. My guy never built it up. Then my first rackless & fenderless build, than my restomod fixed-gear build.

The Hetchins Italia is one of the few bikes I bought complete, both because I liked the frame a lot, and all the Campy bits were pretty much unused. The whole bike was pretty much unridden. Then FedEx nearly destroyed it. Had to get some $$$ back from the seller and have Peter Weigle realign the fork blades, which were off about 5mm front/back after the FedEx re-boxing debacle. Pix show FedEx rebox, with bike crammed in vertically, all the weight on the rear wheel, which was no longer in the rear dropout. Pedals were loose in the bottom of the box, stem fortunately didn't cut through the foam and wreck the lovely head tube. Front wheel was zip-tied to something, denting the rim = trashed. You can see how the forks wound up.

Originally Posted by rossiny
That Paramount looks amazing where did you score that
Old 08-15-20, 10:55 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 191 Posts
Reworking my 750

Where I got this evening...
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 08-16-20, 08:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
It started out as a 2x drivetrain...
The pics of bikes are great and all, but whats been so surprising is not all are 1x. I figured all your bikes, regardless of use, were 1x.
Old 08-16-20, 09:35 AM
JoshuaTSR

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Homegrown FS

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

I just bought thisb1979 Schwinn Le Tour. Needs pedals, seat, tubes, all new cables and brake pads. Other than that she's all there in her glory. The paint is terrible on the top tube so I'm going to repaint her and add a straight bar with new brake levers.
what color so you think? I'm not going to stay original though. This will be my exercise bike up and down Highway 90 in Southern Arizona.
My $20 purchase from CL.

Last edited by JoshuaTSR; 08-16-20 at 10:07 AM.
Likes For JoshuaTSR:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.