Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Surface rust removal tips

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-20, 09:14 AM
kidadam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

Hi all,

I’m doing some work to my 82/83 Marinoni and am looking for tips for repairing/ removing rusty cable Guides.

Few years ago I had the inside of the frame rust checked and proofed. It’s in overall good shape so I don’t really want to repaint it. It was repainted by Marinoni himself in the late 80s early 90s.

I’m putting brand new campy brake hoods on it, Velo orange cotton bar tape and bar ends and changing the cables (old ones were rust stained yellow).

Also plan to replace the pedals, seat, chain and cassette.

Old 07-12-20, 11:50 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Beautiful bike. I would get rid of that rust asap. You're going to loose the paint there anyway, so better to remove it before it does any damage to the top tube.

If it were mine, I'd seriously consider removing those braze-ons and repainting the top tube. Once cured, chrome top tube clips would be a nice vintage touch.
Old 07-12-20, 04:57 PM
kidadam

Originally Posted by branko_76
Beautiful bike. I would get rid of that rust asap. You're going to loose the paint there anyway, so better to remove it before it does any damage to the top tube.

If it were mine, I'd seriously consider removing those braze-ons and repainting the top tube. Once cured, chrome top tube clips would be a nice vintage touch.
I have considered sending it to Marinoni for fresh paint.
Old 07-12-20, 05:02 PM
kidadam

And it does have maple leafs on the lugs
Old 07-12-20, 05:08 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I've tackled rusty cable guides a few times, albeit with less perfection than some may want. A good scratch pen to take it down to metal, prime, touch-up and clear. I tape off around the guide so there's usually a slight line where the tape was. You could wet sand it to better blend but the line and touch-up match are hardly noticeable once the cable housing runs through and covers it up.
Likes For plonz:
Old 07-12-20, 05:39 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I've seen a lot worse. I'd suggest soaking the affected areas with a mild rust remover like Evaporust. Don't use anything more abrasive then a soft toothbrush. Until you decide if you want to send it back, touch up as necessary, preferably using primer first. Or just send it to Marinoni for repair if they still do that.

It's sweat that causes this. For bikes with top tube cable braze-ons it's a good idea to wash the sweat off after every ride, and dry it of course.
Old 07-12-20, 05:44 PM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
I use barkeepers friend. It contains oxyalic acid. Just put some on and walk away. Let it dry, and wipe it down. Kind of like doing an OA bath without immersing it.
Old 07-13-20, 10:34 AM
kidadam

Originally Posted by uncleivan
I use barkeepers friend. It contains oxyalic acid. Just put some on and walk away. Let it dry, and wipe it down. Kind of like doing an OA bath without immersing it.
I'll give this a try!