Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need a new rear tire...Time to go Tubeless?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 08-20-20, 06:39 PM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts

Why isn't anything simple and easy anymore...lol. Ok so I have a 2020 Rockhopper Comp that I ride on Bothe paved and off-road about 3 days a week. The Fast Trak Sport rear tire is nearly free of tread now so I thought I will just grab another one and slap it on. Easy right? Well Specialized no longer makes that specific tire...now its either the Fast Trak GRID 2bliss, Fast Trak S-Works 2bliss, or the Fast Trak Control 2bliss. Since all the tires are now 2Tubeless ready...is it time to grab some sealant, rim tape and go tubeless? I was going to go with the Orange Seal Kit if I went tubeless as that one seems like it has great reviews as well as is pretty easy to convert. So a few tires and a sealant kit to convert both to tubeless...or maybe find someone that has a Fast Trak Sport in stock and just replace it with what I have and look at tubeless down the road?
Old 08-20-20, 09:55 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You can use those tires and put a tube in them no problem if you are not ready to go tubeless.
Old 08-20-20, 10:04 PM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
You can use those tires and put a tube in them no problem if you are not ready to go tubeless.
true thats a third option but if im getting tubeless ready tires should i just get a conversion kit and go tubeless? The tubeless tires are twice the price of the standard tires.
Old 08-22-20, 06:58 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
I’m in the camp of if something wears out replace with something better. Now’s the time to go tubeless!
Old 08-23-20, 05:35 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yes
Old 08-28-20, 11:49 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Do it if you can ascertain the rims you're using are 'tubeless ready'

There are some characteristics of tubeless rims vs non you'll want, like a little different and beefier bead hook. Do a little research or post your rim make/model here before converting.

If the answer on the rims is YES, then it really is just that simple, tape up the rims, get some sealant and valves and tires and away you go!

Keep your tubes though, for a few reasons 1) You'll need one to initially set up the tubeless tires, sometimes it's easier to mount them with a tube, then just break ONE bead, remove the tube, then inflate. That way, the rush of air only has to seat one bead, not both at once. 2) You'll need to carry it with you as a spare. If you get a puncture that doesn't seal on it's own you'll have to throw a tube in to get home. I carry a set of plugs (bacon strips) AND a spare tube and pump to make sure I am never stranded.

Also get some shoe goo for future tire repairs! That will save $$ versus buying new tires each time you get a hole. I am currently running 3 patches consisting of bits of old tube + shoe goo in my front tire :-)