Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I need a new helmet. Why so expensive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I need a new helmet. Why so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-20, 03:57 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 1,833 Posts
I just agreed with i-like-to-bike. Y'all better pack your survival gear and ready your bunkers, The End Is Nigh.
Old 08-29-20, 05:48 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good
Old 08-31-20, 02:52 AM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
extortionate adjective (https://www.dictionary.com/browse/extortionate)
ex•tor•tion•ate | \ ik-ˈstȯr-sh(ə-)nət \
Definition of extortionate
1: characterized by extortion

So, it depends who you talk to ......

Who is forcing (extorting) you to pay that price? Nobody but you ... so stop extorting yourself to pay extortionate prices.

We find common ground.
Aha, but my use of the word was not a matter of who you talk to, but who you listen to. I accept the various dictionary definitions, but what I actually meant is rather different to what you decided I meant. Nuance, old chap, nuance.
Old 08-31-20, 09:59 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
More about pricing:

Another strategy: If you’ve noticed shops selling dishes that feel particularly over-the-top — say, the $1k “Golden Opulence Sundae” from Manhattan’s “Serendipity 3” dessert shop, or Ben & Jerry’s 20-scoop Vermonster — you might have stumbled across a “decoy item.”

As Gregg Rapp, a prominent menu engineer who has worked in the industry for 38 years, explains it, decoy items are not actually designed to be ordered.

The goal, he says, is to “get dopamine kicked into your brain.” You probably can’t afford to buy a golden sundae, but its mere existence excites you about the rest of the menu.

-- https://thehustle.co/meet-the-menu-e...-the-pandemic/
Old 08-31-20, 10:06 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
More about pricing:

Another strategy: If you’ve noticed shops selling dishes that feel particularly over-the-top — say, the $1k “Golden Opulence Sundae” from Manhattan’s “Serendipity 3” dessert shop, or Ben & Jerry’s 20-scoop Vermonster — you might have stumbled across a “decoy item.”

As Gregg Rapp, a prominent menu engineer who has worked in the industry for 38 years, explains it, decoy items are not actually designed to be ordered.

The goal, he says, is to “get dopamine kicked into your brain.” You probably can’t afford to buy a golden sundae, but its mere existence excites you about the rest of the menu.

-- https://thehustle.co/meet-the-menu-e...-the-pandemic/
I suspect that some consumers think $100 helmets are a real bargain at the LBS after the salesman shows them the $300+ price tags on others that do not appear to be much different and have the same stamp of approval from the CPSC.
Old 08-31-20, 11:11 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I didn't gp through all the posts but good helmets do not have to be "expensive".

This happened yesterday when my head came in contact with the bumper of a car. The helmet is a mid-priced Giro (MIPS). The force was pretty substantial, and I am certain it would have been major if I was not wearing a helmet. Other than a sore neck and the loss of some skin on various body parts, I came out of the accident in good shape.

I believe that the MIPS technology helped, but I have no way to verify this. The impact was on the side of my head above my ear.

Last edited by Doug64; 08-31-20 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-31-20, 11:16 AM
cyclingtrav

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet Buying: a slippery slope

Originally Posted by bblair
It's been a few years, so time for a new helmet. It is my understanding, perhaps wrong, that they all meet the same safety standars. Most use the MIPs type of retention/adjustments. Look to be of the same materials.

So why should I buy the $350 one and not the $75 one? Just because it's new or my favorite TDF rider endorses it? Or is it actually safer and more comfortable?

Yea, I know that this has probably been rehashed a million times. But like everyone else, I don't pay attention until it effects me.
some manufacturers will advertise that they have their own in-house standards that exceed mandated industry requirements... as long as they meet government standards, this should be the first box to check.

with MIPS, I haven’t really bought into its value and whether or not it justifies the price. The concept makes sense, but the variation in how it’s executed varies from one manufacturer to the next... which causes me to be skeptical of its efficacy.

I agree that the price is usually a reflection of comfort in terms of ventilation and weight, and also performance aerodynamics. Your regional climate would influence priority in these characteristics.

Purchasing any helmet on eBay is a gamble. Depending on the region/market for which the helmet was made to be sold in, safety standards may not be the same as where you live. US Consumer Protection Safety Commission establishes policy and standards for helmets made for sale in the US, and has different (not necessarily better or more strict) safety standards than EU or AUS. Where I live, although I’ve never seen it enforced, you’re not allowed to race wearing a helmet that hasn’t been approved by the CPSC.
Old 08-31-20, 11:32 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
After the original padding of the older of my two Bontrager helmets no longer... well, padded, I glued some pieces of insulation rubber foam to small strips of velcro and stuck them in the right places. No issues other than the occasional piece ungluing itself every once in a while.

Old 08-31-20, 11:34 AM
stephanlinn

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Super Course, 2012 Litespeed C3, 2018 Canyon Endurace, 2015 Giant Talon converted to gravel

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From Consumer Reports a few years back

Consumer Reports Excellent impact protection ratings to:

Lazer Cyclone $50.00, 295g

Scott Arx Plus $86.92, 261g

Louis Garneau Sharp $89.95, 285g

Bontrager Circuit $99.00, 290g

Poc Trabec $79.88, MBX

Giro Reverb $35.00, closed

Raskullz Mohawk $20.00 , boys
Old 08-31-20, 12:08 PM
grumpyoldguy

Bikes: Scott, Kona

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Try before buying

Helmets are one piece of kit I would want to try on before buying, as opposed to ordering online. They all meet mandatory safety standards, but they all fit and feel different. You'll pay more for light weight and better ventilation. More expensive helmets often have better fitting retention systems with easier adjustability, and more comfortable strap designs. Some come with a crash replacement warranty. Also, you don't want your head to look like a mushroom.
Old 08-31-20, 12:32 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
​​​​​​I assume this compare of pedestrians and cyclists all involved getting hit by a car? What percent were determined death by head injuries? The document does not mention that unless I missed it. We could argue that steel toed boots and hard hats provide no additional safety at all because those hit by a car wearing them had the same fatality rate as those not wearing them.

Statistics are like bikinis, what they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital.
Virtually all deaths to pedestrians or bicyclists are caused by multiple blunt trauma from being struck by cars at speed. This is why I always wear bright colors and am careful at intersections where most of these events occur. Wearing the best imaginable helmet ever designed doesn't save your life when the majority of the bones in your body have been broken and shoved into your organs. Of course I'm sure that you can find exceptions but they are so rare that they don't show up in any of the statistics that I've encountered. And, indeed, there COULD be someone whose life was saved by their helmet but they too are the small exception and not the rule. My serious concussion might be the closest but I don't have any faith that my helmet did anything other than keep my head from getting cut up. If I didn't have an early carbon fiber fork improperly built by an Italian company I would not have been leaning over to see what the noise was and hence be too close to the ground to put my hands or at least my arms out to protect me.
Old 08-31-20, 12:35 PM
sdliebman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
It's been a few years, so time for a new helmet. It is my understanding, perhaps wrong, that they all meet the same safety standars. Most use the MIPs type of retention/adjustments. Look to be of the same materials.

So why should I buy the $350 one and not the $75 one? Just because it's new or my favorite TDF rider endorses it? Or is it actually safer and more comfortable?

Yea, I know that this has probably been rehashed a million times. But like everyone else, I don't pay attention until it effects me.
I was in the same boat a couple of years back. I picked up the "Base Camp" helmet on Amazon ~$40 I like it because of the magnetic visor and it is cool and comfortable. The liner is washable. It has served well for several years multiple triathlons and a few thousand miles on the road. Well on my head while I was riding on the road.
Old 08-31-20, 01:35 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 1,833 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Virtually all deaths to pedestrians or bicyclists are caused by multiple blunt trauma from being struck by cars at speed....... Wearing the best imaginable helmet ever designed doesn't save your life when the majority of the bones in your body have been broken and shoved into your organs. .
This is the actual issue I have been raising repeatedly.

Most cyclist deaths have nothing to do with helmets. if a drunk ninja salmon gets hit by a car, the issue is not that he wasn't wearing a helmet, but that he shouldn't have been a drunk ninja salmon. For the people who unfortunately get rammed even while riding smart, again, it is not the helmet the survivors discuss---it is the pelvis, femurs, ribs, punctured lungs, ruptured spleens .....

There is no correlation supported by data that a helmet helps in Any car-bike collisions.

As @RiceAWay notes, his helmet stopped him from getting cut. Helmets lessen the severity of low-speed impacts. The are more like mouthpieces which keep your teeth intact even if your face is ground off ..... not essential lifesaving protective devices, but basically, kneepads for your head.

I am not opposed or in favor of other people wearing helmets. I am somewhat in favor of people accepting reality and facing facts. But obviously i don't have a lot of control over any of that.
Old 08-31-20, 01:38 PM
roskobosko

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Bontrager also offers -
  1. Crash Replacement Guarantee provides a free helmet replacement if involved in a crash within the first year of ownership
Old 08-31-20, 01:52 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Have not crashed yet with this one for $60:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
it replaced a $200 Lazer MIPS and the fit feels the same.
This time around I got one @ Costco for 25 - 30 CanD. Works like a charm. I bought a fairly expensive bicycle helmet previously out of curiosity.

The only time a helmet was used for protection was when I wiped out on my motorcycle (a 1974 Honda 500/4) because someone who I did not know on a Motorbike wiped out in front of me when a lady ran a stop sign in front of us. I dumped mine because it was that or drive over him. Anyhow I had a full coverage Bell helmet at the time when full coverage was not cool. My head bounced off the pavement slightly. How do you test a helmet against the spurious events like that.
Old 08-31-20, 02:32 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
^^^^^^ The Lazer helmet was toast after I dropped a chain and went over a curb and landed upside down on the side of my head, neck and back. My Camelbak still had water in it and also took some of the punishment. Still had a concussion but was able to get back on the bike and ride home. The Lazer MIPS did its job. No fractures and was able to bounce on the pavement without a major injury.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 08-31-20, 03:35 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by roskobosko
Bontrager also offers -
  1. Crash Replacement Guarantee provides a free helmet replacement if involved in a crash within the first year of ownership
Gotta love the incentive-based programs!
Old 08-31-20, 04:28 PM
Crazier Dave

Bikes: Punch Minstrel Leader, Raleigh Gran Prix, 1985 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
A measured, in-depth response by a quality presenter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zBUxmFZv4Q
I bought one up from the bottom of the line Giro tested here to get the MIPS feature. I did some research before I bought and as far as I could tell, the more expensive helmets are not any safer. It was very comfortable and had good ventilation. I'm very happy with my purchase.
Old 08-31-20, 10:27 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
This is the actual issue I have been raising repeatedly.

Most cyclist deaths have nothing to do with helmets. if a drunk ninja salmon gets hit by a car, the issue is not that he wasn't wearing a helmet, but that he shouldn't have been a drunk ninja salmon. For the people who unfortunately get rammed even while riding smart, again, it is not the helmet the survivors discuss---it is the pelvis, femurs, ribs, punctured lungs, ruptured spleens .....

There is no correlation supported by data that a helmet helps in Any car-bike collisions.

As @RiceAWay notes, his helmet stopped him from getting cut. Helmets lessen the severity of low-speed impacts. The are more like mouthpieces which keep your teeth intact even if your face is ground off ..... not essential lifesaving protective devices, but basically, kneepads for your head.

I am not opposed or in favor of other people wearing helmets. I am somewhat in favor of people accepting reality and facing facts. But obviously i don't have a lot of control over any of that.
Read this: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...2.2019.1650201

Take a look at the bibliography at the end of this paper.

Last edited by Doug64; 08-31-20 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-31-20, 11:19 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
More anecdote. YMMV.

Last winter I was riding laps on a local mall parking structure. Speed, cadence, and HR, sensors all in place. I misjudged the available traction. Uf Da! My helmet was a Kali Phenom. My speed sensor reading went from 22.5 KPH to 0.0 KPH in one reading interval, so it is safe to say I was going 22.5 KPH when I hit the concrete. I did not slide, I did a nice hard slap down on the deck.

I picked up my badly bruised ego and rode home slowly. About 6 years ago I had a serious TBI (not bicycle related) with which I am still dealing. I did not notice any worsening of my symptoms. And with Kali's replacement program, I sent them a demolished helmet and I got a new one delivered to my house.

My memory from years ago when I was a Firefighter / Medic was that a "high energy impact" was defined as one at 20 KPH or greater. My instruments indicated that I was going 22.5 KPH which put me over that threshold. The helmet was visibly crushed on the impact side. I was not aware of any head injury, so the helmet did its job and absorbed enough energy to limit the amount that was played into my brain.

I am well aware that helmets will not prevent all types of injuries, but, for the most part, the patients I treated who were wearing helmets did better than those who were not. No, I did not treat a statistically valid number of patients in those ten years. But with my life experience I hope to be buying another Kali when mine needs replacement due to age.
Old 08-31-20, 11:35 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
Interesting. My last big crash (that i remember) was in June 2016 ... i was rounding a corner at about 18 mph, stuck the front wheel in sand, went down hard on my left side. Hit my head but my helmet was fine since it was at home .... but i did break my collarbone.

This says to me that we should be investing in shoulder pads, not helmets.
Now that you mention it, a similar thing happened to me. Went over the bars, broke my collarbone and didn't even hit my head.
Old 09-01-20, 12:20 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I bought this helmet about 1.5 years ago. It works very well and has lights on all four sides. In addition to the white light in front it has blinking lights in the back and on both sides. The only problem is that it isn't certified in the USA, only in Europe which is why when I came to the USA I left it at home. I also have heard that in the USA blue lights are reserved for law enforcement and this helmet has flashing blue lights on the sides and rear. I still use a handlebar mounted white light but the helmet light just adds to the illumination.

https://rockbrosbiking.com/products/...31935096062046
Old 09-01-20, 12:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by sdliebman
I was in the same boat a couple of years back. I picked up the "Base Camp" helmet on Amazon ~$40 I like it because of the magnetic visor and it is cool and comfortable. The liner is washable. It has served well for several years multiple triathlons and a few thousand miles on the road. Well on my head while I was riding on the road.
I got one of those Base Camp sorta-aero helmets with shaded visor too. Seems to be a knockoff of an older design Giro or Garneau aero helmet. Really good for the money. I think the price dropped to $25 just before they discontinued it. I was a bit skeptical of the quality but a couple of users posted photos of their post-crash helmets and said they worked fine.

The visor is better designed that some name brand rounded aero helmets of a few years ago. A common complaint about some aero helmets was the magnetic connectors weren't secure on the name brand helmets, especially in the stowed mode. The Base Camp 3-magnet clasps appear very secure in either position.

I don't wear it often because the rounded shape doesn't quite fit my oval noggin, and is just a little small. But I've worn it a few times when chasing Strava PRs and KOMs, and it did seem to help a bit with lower wind resistance. It's not well vented so I don't wear it in summer.
Old 09-01-20, 05:41 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
I bought a helmet from the "Wish" app. $16 plus $12 shipping. Drop shipped from China. Took a little over a month to get it. Nice helmet labled "Victagoal". And a month after I recieved it I got another one in the mail. Unexpected two for one!
Likes For big chainring:
Old 09-01-20, 09:10 AM
The Old Peddler

Bikes: Currently 4 Electra's : 3 Cruisers and a Townie. also 1 mutt bike

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
Wow, it seems to me that HELMETS as a biking component are a really hot topic. Lots of good viewpoints that, I admit, surprised me. Being out of biking for so long, I lost touch with the market for such things as helmets. I wrongly assumed that not much has changed in helmet tech. Perhaps they are somewhat like cell phones(?) ... if it's newer it has got to be better! Well maybe, but I wear an old Giro helmet with which I am quite satisfied.

Yes, it does provide some head protection in a low speed impact but I really like it because it makes a perfect mount for a big rear view mirror. Being able to see traffic coming behind me, I feel, is a constant benefit to my personal safety; more so than any possible benefit involving a high speed crash.

The Old Peddler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.