Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How about those 2020 TDF bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How about those 2020 TDF bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-20, 08:25 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Which is why I still ride bikes equipped with BarCons - I don't have to reach/move to shift. Stealth, Baby! /Sarcasm

!
BAr Cons are nice - Except when youre in a criterium and your competitor reaches over and taps them to sabotage your efforts ! (This was a legitimate barstool argument we used to have against bar end shifters BITD )
Old 09-04-20, 08:43 AM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 369 Posts
50 Years ago (check out Eddy!)
Likes For Chuckk:
Old 09-05-20, 07:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by m_sasso
I will tell you what is going on, and mention your ignorance of bicycle racing. The noise is set up purposely with disc brakes too allow other riders in the peloton to know when someone is braking without having to verbally communicate their actions.
This is fascinating to hear. I plead ignorance on road racing because I don't do it and don't have easy/quick access to watch it so I also don't see many races.
I have never heard this as a reason for the squealing.

How does a mechanic even set the brakes up to squeal? All the disc brake bikes i have built dont squeal since squealing means there is rotor rub. Rotor rub = friction and friction = slower speed as well as an annoying noise at all times.

So the mechanics obviously aren't setting the bikes up with rotor rub as that would make riders slower and also make noise st all times.
What is the process then? Do the mechanics set up the pads and add oil to the surface so it squeals only when braking?...that seems dangerous since braking effectiveness will be reduced.

Please let the ignorant in on how this works.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-05-20, 08:05 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
50 Years ago (check out Eddy!)
i prefer these routes where the majority of the race is point to point, much more a true Tour.
i should reference the last time there were no “transits”.
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-05-20, 09:06 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
BAr Cons are nice - Except when youre in a criterium and your competitor reaches over and taps them to sabotage your efforts ! (This was a legitimate barstool argument we used to have against bar end shifters BITD )
I've never been a racer anyway, so it doesn't matter... And I don't race on barstools either!
Old 09-05-20, 01:19 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Now they can just hack your wireless shifting system.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 09-05-20, 01:32 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Impossible to say "every" department. Only time will tell how they compare in the longevity department. Maybe that's irrelevant in the culture of throwing out last year's phone, but not everyone lives there.
We already know that many of the newer components and frames are far less durable than their predecessors.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-05-20, 01:35 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
this morning they highlighted the pro tweaks to a stage sprint finish winner's bike ..

Featured: electronic shifting and turning over a 54:11 gear to over 50mph.
I have no [death] wish to go 50mph. 50/14 is a high enough top gear for me, just under 35mph at 120RPM.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 09-05-20, 02:56 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I have no [death] wish to go 50mph. 50/14 is a high enough top gear for me, just under 35mph at 120RPM.
50 mph never killed anyone!

A sudden stop from 50 MPH could do it though.
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 09-05-20, 03:44 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This is fascinating to hear. I plead ignorance on road racing because I don't do it and don't have easy/quick access to watch it so I also don't see many races.
I have never heard this as a reason for the squealing.

How does a mechanic even set the brakes up to squeal? All the disc brake bikes i have built dont squeal since squealing means there is rotor rub. Rotor rub = friction and friction = slower speed as well as an annoying noise at all times.

So the mechanics obviously aren't setting the bikes up with rotor rub as that would make riders slower and also make noise st all times.
What is the process then? Do the mechanics set up the pads and add oil to the surface so it squeals only when braking?...that seems dangerous since braking effectiveness will be reduced.

Please let the ignorant in on how this works.
Disc drake 'squeal' or 'howl' can result through (but is not limited to): vibration (pads, calipers, flex in rotor), rotors being too hot, rotors being too cold, pad mis-alignment, pads being 'glazed', water on the rotors, other 'crap' on the rotors, rotors marginally out true, position of vents in rotors, the type of rotor and type of pads being used...it's a long list....
Old 09-05-20, 04:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob the Mech
Disc drake 'squeal' or 'howl' can result through (but is not limited to): vibration (pads, calipers, flex in rotor), rotors being too hot, rotors being too cold, pad mis-alignment, pads being 'glazed', water on the rotors, other 'crap' on the rotors, rotors marginally out true, position of vents in rotors, the type of rotor and type of pads being used...it's a long list....
Yes, brakes can squeal due to this list and more. All the examples you list are either poor set up or in need of service.
So are you saying pro mechanics are setting these up incorrectly and/or not servicing them correctly?
Old 09-05-20, 05:03 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 369 Posts
When I think about the switch from caliper to disk brakes, I'm taken with the different path that the energy has to take.
With our calipers, the "path" is from ground to tire, rim, caliper brake, and then the fork crown or rear brake mount - both just over the top of the tire and centered.
Disk brakes have a path from from the ground to tire, to rim, to spokes, to hub, to disk and disk caliper then up the fork legs and rear stays. Probably more on the side the brake is mounted on.
Seems to me there is more force being exerted on the fork legs, spokes, and stays then on our old bikes, and being handled by assemblies that are much lighter.
Amazing.
Old 09-05-20, 05:11 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yes, brakes can squeal due to this list and more. All the examples you list are either poor set up or in need of service.
So are you saying pro mechanics are setting these up incorrectly and/or not servicing them correctly?
Or inherent flaws in the design of the frame and fork to dampen the frequency of the vibration. I can set up my discs to be silent...I take them out in the rain and they howl...like the devil himself...I changed my pad to a kevlar type now they are silent regardless of the weather. Are mechanics setting those disc breaks properly?...I believe they are following the service and installation methods as prescribed by the manufacturers, they would have been trained by SRAM and Shimano in such matters. When you think about it these systems are being used for 21 days of competiton, being pushed to there mechanical limits, limits you or I could never achive, day in day out. And frankly as long as they perform the intended function at slowing / stopping the bikes I don't think anyone in pro racing cares if they squeal or not. I certainly don't
Old 09-07-20, 12:30 PM
Duragrouch

Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 323 Posts
Look at the size of the largest rear cog on the new race bikes in the pics above. On a road race bike! Good direction, I believe, gives the option to spin up a long climb when you run out of out-of-the-saddle climbing power.
Old 09-07-20, 12:34 PM
Duragrouch

Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Oh those welds! So NOT Cannondale! They look like someone took used bubble gum to stick the tubing together.

This is what a Cannondale weld SHOULD look like!
Agreed! That was Cannondale's trademark. Two possible explanations for the new welds: a) Made overseas and they went cheap by not post-finishing the welds, or b) The newer tubes are so thin wall that they don't want to risk hitting those with the band-sander in post-finishing.
Old 09-07-20, 10:25 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Look at the size of the largest rear cog on the new race bikes in the pics above. On a road race bike! Good direction, I believe, gives the option to spin up a long climb when you run out of out-of-the-saddle climbing power.
Stage 4.
19-20 mph on a 5% grade
32 mph sprint on 3% grade.
Note the big CeramicSpeed lower jockey wheels ($500), right out of the DA7700 GS approach.
One commentator said it was 1/2 watt advantage.
The two pulls by the Jumbo diesel and the Kuss kid show the advancements across the spectrum.
550w for 3 miles. Holy cow. I’d only get that with light bulbs.

I was working on a bike with 6700, short cage RD.
It had an oversized lower jockey wheel and a Roadlink, running 11-34 rear just fine and a compact front.
The key was not totally about climbing; some of the intent was minimizing HR issues.
When I’m gasping at the top, she’s a bit behind but not winded a bit, enjoying the climb.
She can likely run 36t rear if she wants, or swap all that to a long cage and run 38t rear.
I see that in my geriatric future.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-11-20 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-07-20, 10:59 PM
Chris Chicago

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
These sram cranks on the red trek are cool compared to shimanos, to my eye.

Likes For Chris Chicago:
Old 09-07-20, 11:31 PM
jackbombay

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
I can appreciate the new bikes for what they are, they are disposable, but they are absurdly efficient. Would I like to go smash out a century on one? OH YES I WOULD! Would I want to own one? Not all that much. If I were to spend that kind of coin I'd get into something more unique, albeit less efficient, but special to me.
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 09-08-20, 04:38 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by m_sasso
I will tell you what is going on, and mention your ignorance of bicycle racing. The noise is set up purposely with disc brakes too allow other riders in the peloton to know when someone is braking without having to verbally communicate their actions.
This is the winning post of the thread ^^^. I'm obligated to quote it so it'll always be remembered.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 09-11-20, 08:32 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
The bikes are really great. I watched Sunwebs Hirschi win yesterday and boy did he descend well on that bike. He made it look easy.
Old 09-11-20, 09:19 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
I still miss the Argon Gallium. Had a nice no nonsense look to it, one of the most traditional geo bikes in the peloton, though the Wilier isn't a bad replacement.
Old 09-11-20, 09:45 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
I can appreciate the new bikes for what they are, they are disposable, but they are absurdly efficient. Would I like to go smash out a century on one? OH YES I WOULD! Would I want to own one? Not all that much. If I were to spend that kind of coin I'd get into something more unique, albeit less efficient, but special to me.
+1, but I'm a bit different. I certainly like the efficiency aspect, and some of the new technology. I'm starting to see some conflicts between the older steel frames and just what I can put on them. That's understandable, but I still try, 'cause if RiddleofSteel can try, so can I, right?

My used coin goes for some used modern, but not the full-on racing stuff, because my iron-ass days are well behind me.
-Cipollini Logos: And they say it's their "comfort" model. Yeah, right, but I like it. My second foray into 1x...
-Colnago CLX: Haven't ridden it yet, but it's their "comfort" model. We'll see, as it will compete with the Logos for mileage.
-Wraith Hustle: It's modern, it's steel, and was built "to be built" with standard BB, seat post, calipers, steerer, etc. My "go-to."
-Litespeed (Lynskey): It truly is a 1996 frame that performs easily with today's stuff. It is the bridge for me from then to now.
-Trek Y-Foil: While I no longer patronize anything Trek, Bontrager, Specialized or Roval, this was before and is funky.
-Cadex CFR-1: Actually rides a lot like the Litespeed. It has a good beat and you can dance to it.

-Everything else: several rungs down the ladder, but better than I deserve and easy to ride. Many of my C&V's are upgraded to modern components, but I'm learning, over time, to sort of draw the line at 7700 or 7800 to stick with polished stuff that I can "range up." The Wolftooth Roadlink is my friend, and I see Mao's kids are copying it, so when they take over, our bikes will be ready for their victory Tour.

All that being said, though I've never, ever been a green bike fan, I'd take one of those new Bianchi's in half a heartbeat.

And I now have 3 sets of tubeless wheels. Bontrager RXL/TLR, HED Ardennes, and Mavic Ksyrium Pro. They are way different.
The Mavic seem faster, using 700x25 Yksium Pro tires mated to the wheels. I bought them used, but never used.
The Bontrager are more comfortable with 700x25 Schwalbe Pro 1's that seem bigger and softer. Durability? Jury's out.
The HED's are much wider, and will be set up with Conti GP5000TL's, which feel heavy. That court is not yet in session.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-11-20 at 09:54 AM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-11-20, 02:18 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
The bikes are really great. I watched Sunwebs Hirschi win yesterday and boy did he descend well on that bike. He made it look easy.
100% agreed. His Cervelo is their aero model, and certainly not to my tastes aesthetically, but it was one half of a very dynamic duo in his stage win. Dude is a smooth machine on a bike.

Martinez's win on today's grueling summit finish was pretty epic, and his Cannondale looked great.

Watching the finish, I couldn't help but think (again) that although it's a bummer that we have so few American riders in the tour, we have plenty of American bikes at the tour. Cannondale, Specialized, Trek, Cervelo (ok, Canadian, but relocating to Orange County, CA presently). I think that's cool.