Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Anyone with Warbird AND Revolt riding experience?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 03:33 PM
guppie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I can get Warbird today. Revolt in 8-weeks. No rush since no racing. Currently ride Diverge but my fitter wants to move me up a size. I race 2-3 hour races with maybe one or two 200-miler races. Would like some feed back on how these bikes felt when riding.
Old 09-09-20, 08:24 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by guppie
I can get Warbird today. Revolt in 8-weeks. No rush since no racing. Currently ride Diverge but my fitter wants to move me up a size. I race 2-3 hour races with maybe one or two 200-miler races. Would like some feed back on how these bikes felt when riding.
I haven't ridden a Revolt (was my second choice), but this year bought a 2019 Warbird. Got 450 miles on it so far, mostly on medium chunky gravel, but also a lot of Singletrack and some paved roads. For reference, it is the Sram Apex 1 drivetrain with Trp Spyre-c mechanical calipers. Tires are Maxxis ramblers. Fwiw, here are some impressions of the Warbird:
1). Geometry-geometry is more slack than a road bike. There is much more reach and stack, so your positioning will be relatively higher, and is very comfortable. The furthest I've gone on it was 69 miles, and it was still very comfortable.
2). On roads-the Warbird feels pretty fast with Maxxis Rambler tires, though a road bike definitely feels faster. Having ridden some Strava segments on both bikes, the Warbird was sometimes faster.
3). On gravel-the Warbird feels very smooth. At faster speeds, steering is very controlled, and the ride is very comfortable, especially with the tires running as tubeless.
4). Singletrack-The Warbird loves singletrack, whether it is roots, some not too chunky rock gardens, or any twisty Singletrack you like. It is a blast!

Hope this helps answer your question.

​​​​​​​Dave
Likes For bonsai171:
Old 09-10-20, 07:36 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I can't imagine going wrong with either. For me it would come down to features and price.
Old 09-10-20, 09:08 AM
guppie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shoota
I can't imagine going wrong with either. For me it would come down to features and price.
This is where Giant has me. They are about $1100 cheaper for GRX Di2.
Old 09-10-20, 11:26 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
This is where Giant has me. They are about $1100 cheaper for GRX Di2.
My buddy loves his Revolt. If you don't mind waiting then $1100 is quite a lot cheaper.
Old 09-10-20, 11:46 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The shop where I occasionally work carries both. Honestly, I think the Warbird is the nicer bike, in terms of fit and ride quality, but that's such a personal thing that it really should have no bearing on your decision. I like the Salsa sizing much better. It seems weird that the Giant "small" has the closest dimensions to a 54.5 Warbird. The Giant is no slouch, but if money is no object, I'd opt for the Salsa.
Old 09-10-20, 12:47 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
No experience with the Warbird, but love my Revolt, I've done 8+ hours on it with no issues, very comfortable. Also the best warranty in the business, two years crash repair/replacement.

It's currently my only bike and I'm averaging almost 400mpw on it. Love it so much I ordered a 2021 and I'm also going with GRX di2.
Old 09-10-20, 12:50 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Think of it this way: If you can wait for the Giant you can get a second wheelset and come out even.
Old 09-11-20, 06:18 AM
guppie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tdilf
Think of it this way: If you can wait for the Giant you can get a second wheelset and come out even.
I came to this conclusion last night.
Likes For guppie:
Old 09-11-20, 06:01 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
I came to this conclusion last night.
What is your budget for this bike? I got an email today from Obed bikes (they are consumer direct, formerly a sister company of Litespeed). They are running a labor day sale on the Boundary. The Grx 400 version was $2,099, and has an Easton cockpit, 3 pack mounts on the fork, hydraulic brakes, Grx600 crankset, tubeless wheels. it's a pretty sweet deal. I was going to buy one, but the Salsa went on sale first.

https://obedbikes.com/pages/our-bikes

If you want DI2, that is on sale also, for $3800. The GRX400 is pretty light also at 19.9 lbs. Think Obed would be worth a look for what you want. Not many bikes have the three pack mounts on the fork, and that will give you 2 extra water bottles when racing or exploring wilderness.

Dave

Last edited by bonsai171; 09-11-20 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-13-20, 06:50 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I have ridden both extensively. The further you ride the better the Warbird gets. It is not nimble like a cross bike (nor is it intended to be) but Salsa really has the ride dialed in for just about any gravel terrain and great road performance too. If you go with the Giant, throw out the stock cross-cut tires immediately and do not even save them for spares. They are among the poorest performing gravel tires we have ever tested as far as ride quality. They mask the performance of the great Revolt frame and really are only good at being flat resistant. They do not change character much with pressure changes so that one key option to tune gravel tires to conditions unfortunately is not really even available with these. The higher-end Revolts do have a better tire so depending on the model this may not be an issue.