Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Road bike as a commuter bike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Road bike as a commuter bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 10:16 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I almost fell down a few times zigzagging across vehicles in traffic over uneven parts of the road where I'm still too fast to get off the saddle or unable to brake suddenly (because the motorist behind could rear-end me).

I lowered the seat 2 cm below optimal so I can stick one foot out in times like these and that solved the problem. But because I'm also at max setback adjustment, I'm only 1 cm under optimum leg extension so not a big compromise.

Dropper post is also a neat solution....If you can find one for road bikes!
Sticking a foot out at speed for whatever reason Is just asking to have that leg broken off. If you can’t use the brakes, what do you think your foot is going to do? Using your feet while cycling are very poor brakes. The Flintstones isn’t real life.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 08-19-20 at 11:25 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-18-20, 07:38 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
My commuter bike:

The yellow thing kind of happened by accident - next tape job is likely yellow as well.

Looks like a road bike. Fewer gears, I guess, than most road bikes.
Old 08-18-20, 11:44 PM
paloaltan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
One of the reasons I love my "gravel bike" so much is that it's so versatile. Commuting, dirt trails, tarmac... it does it all. Not sure what all the fuss about starting and stopping is, but I ride flats.
Likes For paloaltan:
Old 08-19-20, 12:09 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by paloaltan
One of the reasons I love my "gravel bike" so much is that it's so versatile. Commuting, dirt trails, tarmac... it does it all. Not sure what all the fuss about starting and stopping is, but I ride flats.
Same here. I ride 2015 Norco Search as my commuter, gravel bike, and the occasional amateur cyclocross race. It's essentially a steel frame/carbon fork road bike which was sold as an 'adventure' bike.
Old 08-19-20, 12:41 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
So to answer your question, a road bike will work perfectly well to get you to and from work as long as you have actual "road" between your origin and destination. If you are going to be on other surfaces, you might consider something else. For me, I have actual paved road 100% between home and the office, so pretty much anything will work. From a cargo bike to a road bike, they all work fine.
Old 08-19-20, 02:16 PM
vgmightyp

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Tarmac Disc Sport, 2020 CAADX 105, 2018 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Specialized Sirrus Disc, 1997 Mongoose Maneuver

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
I have a 2018 Specialized Allez Elite as my commuter. Currently in the shop now to get a tune up, new tires and fenders. It was originally my do-it-all bike. Since I recently got 2 more bikes it has it's main purpose.
Old 08-20-20, 04:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Portland Oregon, seeing someone commuting on a road bike with mudguards is not unusual..
Old 08-24-20, 09:36 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
hi Phamilton , sarcasm or talking seriously ?
Many will argue that this is not a road bike, but rather a “touring bike”, but it’s a skinny tired bike with drop bars, downtube shifters, and road bike gearing (besides the 30t granny).

It’s a great commuter, less than 30 lbs with racks, fenders, and lights.

Likes For Phamilton:
Old 08-25-20, 09:21 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
To answer the question first, I prefer a pure road bike for commuting, have for over a decade. I also use a single speed, but you'd probably call it a road bike also.

Seat height is seat height, and unless you're getting a feet-forward cruiser or kids stunt bike it's the same regardless of bike.

The type of handlebar doesn't make that much difference in the rider's position. If you prefer flat bars, get flat bars. If you want raised up drop bars, you can do that. It's all good.

Many of us like an aero road position because it's faster and more comfortable for us. There are variations. We mostly settle in to what works for us.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 09-01-20, 02:20 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Before I retired I commuted for almost 40 years. My commuting bikes over the years were basically my road bikes with drop bars. I would through on the backpack and take the longer route for more exercise. Or I would take my touring bike with drop bars and fenders and put on panniers to carry stuff. The only time I went to a flat bar bike was in the winter time because I like the feel of control with the flat bars and studded tires. Later in my commuting career I did switch from 3 bolt Look cleats to Shimano 2 bolt cleats. Made more sense at stop lights. But as has been stated before, ride any bike you want and modify it like you need to.
Old 09-09-20, 09:50 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Man, I worry for people who are really into trying to treat a bike seat like it’s a chair.
Likes For hsuBM:
Old 09-10-20, 12:30 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by Phamilton
Many will argue that this is not a road bike, but rather a “touring bike”, but it’s a skinny tired bike with drop bars, downtube shifters, and road bike gearing (besides the 30t granny).

It’s a great commuter, less than 30 lbs with racks, fenders, and lights.

I have traded the above bike for the below bike. I’ll provide any additional relevant feedback to the thread as I commute on it. But only a couple joyrides today, maybe 5 miles total. Somehow, no flats. I was sure I was gonna get a flat. A rock or a snakebite or something. 25mm CAN’T be enough tire for commuting.

Last edited by Phamilton; 09-10-20 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-11-20, 02:34 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
I have traded the above bike for the below bike. I’ll provide any additional relevant feedback to the thread as I commute on it. But only a couple joyrides today, maybe 5 miles total. Somehow, no flats. I was sure I was gonna get a flat. A rock or a snakebite or something. 25mm CAN’T be enough tire for commuting.
It CAN be enough, but I'm sure you'd be much more comfortable commuting on 28-32mm tires. Question is will they fit?
Old 09-11-20, 06:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
I was sure I was gonna get a flat. A rock or a snakebite or something. 25mm CAN’T be enough tire for commuting.
A 23 mm tire is enough for commuting...been there, done that. It’s not a tire that you can commute on at 50 psi but I wouldn’t commute on any tire short of a 2.1” at 50 psi. I would put at least 100 psi in a 25 mm tire but I also use about 90psi in a 35mm tire. Pinch flats are an indication that you don’t have enough air in the tire.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-11-20, 06:04 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by bOsscO
It CAN be enough, but I'm sure you'd be much more comfortable commuting on 28-32mm tires. Question is will they fit?
Nope. The front would fit probably a 32 but the rear won’t fit any bigger than a 25.

Regarding your certainty about my comfort, my arse has no objections so far to a 25mm tire. My arse, being the final authority on comfort. You may feel free to direct your concerns directly to him, but it’s unlikely he’ll care. You probably won’t like him anyway.
Old 09-11-20, 06:07 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by cyccommute
A 23 mm tire is enough for commuting...been there, done that. It’s not a tire that you can commute on at 50 psi but I wouldn’t commute on any tire short of a 2.1” at 50 psi. I would put at least 100 psi in a 25 mm tire but I also use about 90psi in a 35mm tire. Pinch flats are an indication that you don’t have enough air in the tire.
25mm at around 90 seems pretty good so far. I might put a few more pumps in for good measure. Paselas are squishy squishy tires.
Old 09-13-20, 11:54 AM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Road bike to commute? Yes please!!
I do 150-200 a week on 32mm tires at 75 psi front, 80 psi back. This week with the air quality getting worse on the west coast, I might be taking the car on days with an AQI > 100.
Hopefully the wind will kick up and get that number lower.

Likes For bargo68:
Old 09-16-20, 08:09 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
But only a couple joyrides today, maybe 5 miles total. Somehow, no flats. I was sure I was gonna get a flat. A rock or a snakebite or something. 25mm CAN’T be enough tire for commuting.
This is most peculiar, as I have it on very good authority that no tire narrower than 32 mm can be used successfully for commuting. Could it be that it’s because you were only riding recreationally on your test rides? A 25 mm tire can be used for hundreds and hundreds of frivolous recreational miles over surfaces of wildly varying quality, but a serious task such as riding a short distance to work should cause it to flat the instant you leave your driveway. Please keep us informed.
Likes For grolby:
Old 09-24-20, 04:34 PM
.cosmonaut.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
Road bike to commute? Yes please!!

[pic here]

I do 150-200 a week on 32mm tires at 75 psi front, 80 psi back. This week with the air quality getting worse on the west coast, I might be taking the car on days with an AQI > 100.
Hopefully the wind will kick up and get that number lower.

This is such a pretty bike :O

But yeah, I've commuted with road bikes a lot and they're fine. One thing to consider is if you plan to ride with a backpack or messenger bag, though -- the forward position can make that more uncomfortable.
Old 09-24-20, 05:49 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Years ago I became concerned about wear and tear on my road bike as commuter, and convinced my wife I needed a dedicated commuter. I purchased a rigid mtb, threw on slicks and fenders, and it was great. The same week, a friend convinced his wife his mtb commuter was resulting in him arriving home late, so he got a new road bike for commuting.

All parties were happy.

Moral of the story is, no matter what, get another bike. If you must use ass height as a rationale, do it. All's fair.
Likes For downtube42: