Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Changing Freehub on Mavic Ksyrium Elite

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-20, 05:57 AM
Bobdazzle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

So here is the story. I have an old Colnago Dream Lux, with Dura Ace 7700 9 speed.

For what ever reason when I bought the bike the Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels, that I bought the bike with were 10 speed. No problem, will just change them back to 9 speed (I need to change the ratios anyway as there are lots of hills where I live). Turns out a friend had an brand new shimano 9 speed cluster lying around - so score.

Went to change the cluster, only to find it is a Campag 10 speed. Anyway it is off, but now need to replace the freehub. Again super easy to take everything apart etc. But just want to make sure the replacement is the right one.

I know that basically all shimano 8,9,10 works with each other, but just want to make sure that there wasn't any specific compatibility requirements for the Ksyriums.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Bob
Old 09-18-20, 07:09 AM
Bobdazzle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobdazzle
Hi Guys,

So here is the story. I have an old Colnago Dream Lux, with Dura Ace 7700 9 speed.

For what ever reason when I bought the bike the Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels, that I bought the bike with were 10 speed. No problem, will just change them back to 9 speed (I need to change the ratios anyway as there are lots of hills where I live). Turns out a friend had an brand new shimano 9 speed cluster lying around - so score.

Went to change the cluster, only to find it is a Campag 10 speed. Anyway it is off, but now need to replace the freehub. Again super easy to take everything apart etc. But just want to make sure the replacement is the right one.

I know that basically all shimano 8,9,10 works with each other, but just want to make sure that there wasn't any specific compatibility requirements for the Ksyriums.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Bob
So I can't put any pictures up, as I am a new member, but thought I would put a bit extra info.

The Mavic Kysriums are s6000 - not sure which year.

Was hoping I could just change the outer body ie not take the whole freewheel off. Just take off the campag outer that the cassette slides onto and put on a shimano one.

I see a lot of different versions online ie mtb ones etc and just want t make sure I order the right one.

Thanks