Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1980's Firenze, Collectable?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-29-18, 05:17 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Anyone who bought a TV or a stereo at a small independent shop during the 1980's probably ended up with at least one of these. Millions were built and given away. They became a running joke for many decades, and most ended undoubtedly up in landfills. Thrift stores had difficulty even giving them away.

But at last, after decades of people disposing of them in one way or another, these bikes are finally becoming relatively scarce. I only saw one Ebay ad for one. Yes, they were hi-ten steel, yes, the components were garbage, and almost no one ever rode the things. But I am wondering if the Firenze free bike that came with your stereo has a place in history. Not because it was a great bike, but because there were once so many, and now so few. And people remember them from the 80's.

Many times, the things people least expect to become collectible, become collectible.

Lots of old Schwinns are heavy, outdated, and virtually un-ridable. But they are collectible and valuable. Will the Firenze be the same?
Old 07-29-18, 06:09 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
I don't think these will ever become valuable, despite their rarity. Schwinns are collectible because of the affinity their owners developed for them and Schwinn's reputation during their era of poularity. People pay big money to trigger memories of happy times. Firenze owners may have developed an affinity for their stereo but the bicycle, being an unrelated purchase incentive, is automatically tainted.

It might be a different story if they had been given away with every stereo sold at Del's Stereo & Sound in Cincinnati, during Doctor Johnny Fever's remote broadcast for WKRP. Then they would be part of pop culture lexicon. On a related note, if you a bullet riddled Vibratone 250 loudspeaker, you'd have a real collectible.

Mind you, an Ebay or C/L Firenze posting would attract lots of attention due to erroneous association with Firenze models of American and Italian heritage. Some newbie might even be blinded into paying in excess of $100 for one.
Old 07-29-18, 06:53 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Collectible or not, I would look but never ride one of these.

I have some spoke from a Firenza, and the are more brittle than dead twigs.

A one inch piece can be snapped without bending!

Visited a retail bicycle store in Texas that had one mounted in a display box.

Eye catching, mostly because the bicycle had come apart - literally.

The tubes had all separated from the headtube lugs, and the bottom bracket was held in place by the cable routing.
The tubes were likely tacked in place, but this frame never made it thru the entire brazing process.
Paint was perfect.

Do not know if the bike was being ridden when it came apart, but ........
I really don't think that matters!

Careful with this one.
Old 07-29-18, 07:01 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
MATTHEWS, TOP OF THE HILL, DALY CITY!

I doubt that there were millions of them sold.. In fact the original Firenze bikes from the late 1970's couldn't be sold at all because they were so poorly made and unsafe. A slew of those bikes came into the country from Taiwan in the late 70's just before the CPSC rules went into effect.

The importer got stuck with them and somehow figured a way around the regulations. Instead of selling them through normal bike channels they were wholesaled as give away promotional items! Buy a VW, buy a stereo, buy a what ever and get a free $200 bike! (some assembly required)

The steel in the frames was so soft that riding off of a curb could cause the forks to bend forward! Everything on those bikes was JUNK. I think that we were offered a truck load of them for around $15 each!

As soon as we saw someone trying to drag a Firenze in a box into our shop for assembly, we'd step outside and politely run them off. We called them Kid Killers!

The Firenze collection process:

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 08-09-18 at 01:30 AM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 07-29-18, 07:48 AM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
"Some newbie might even be blinded into paying in excess of $100 for one. "

"Top of the Hill Daly City!" I was gonna throw that in, but I thought it too obscure, didn't think anyone else would get it.

Great posts, thanks guys.

My theory is that for the very reason that nobody *thinks* they will never, ever become collectible, maybe they will. It's a longshot, but now's the time to start hoarding these if my theory proves correct.

Think about it. These bikes are now arguably a part of 1980's pop culture now, like it or not. There will be at least one needed for the Smithsonian. And maybe movie makers might use them as props in films set in the 1980's. That's a pair. Maybe somebody somewhere has one of these still in the original box. That could bring, on a good day, in excess of $50!

I wonder of anyone took Firenze up on their guarantee? "Hey, that's not high tension tubing!"
Old 07-29-18, 07:58 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
I love me some Firenze reminiscing. It really was amazing how many of those things were around from one stereo store... and the look on the owners' faces when they got laughed at.
Old 07-29-18, 08:13 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
With the exception of the top tube mounted shift levers, the subject bicycle does not look pre-CPSC. That particular crankset, bottle bosses and embossed stay caps were typically post-CPSC features at this level.

Last edited by T-Mar; 07-29-18 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-29-18, 08:29 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
MATTHEWS, TOP OF THE HILL, DALY CITY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsPTgYMjNcs

I doubt that there were millions of them sold.. In fact they couldn't be sold at all because they were so poorly made and unsafe. A slew of those bikes came into the country from Taiwan in the late 70's just before the CPSC rules went into effect.

The importer got stuck with them and somehow figured a way around the regulations. Instead of selling them through normal bike channels they were wholesaled as give away promotional items! Buy a VW, buy a stereo, buy a what ever and get a free $200 bike! (some assembly required)

The steel in the frames was so soft that riding off of a curb could cause the forks to bend forward! Everything on those bikes was JUNK. I think that we were offered a truck load of them for around $15 each!

As soon as we saw someone trying to drag a Firenze into our shop for assembly, we'd step outside and politely run them off. We called them Kid Killers!

verktyg
Now that's a blast from the past! I remember Matthew's!
Old 07-29-18, 08:33 AM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
A quick Google image search leads me to the conclusion these only came in one size.

I have no idea why there is a quick-release skewer on the front wheel, and a bolt on the rear wheel. I guess if you get a flat while riding, pray for a flat in the front.

Truth be told, I don't think I have ever seen anyone actually riding one of these. Most of them I have seen, have been the result of a friend or co-worker pulling me aside and saying, "Hey, you'e into bikes, look what I just got!" as I try my best to act impressed.
Old 07-29-18, 08:58 AM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 139 Posts
They have a great back story, which is something that collectability can use as a foundation to build upon. And, no (or know) one need ride one, for them to be collected... after all, they could just be wall decorations and still be collectible. Like with vintage transistor radios, the cheapest radios during their heyday, were geared toward drawing the hard earned income of kids, are collectible, even if they were never great radios. I think it would be cool to own one, though it probably would have to be a garage queen... and I probably would never attempt to ride it more than a few miles at a casual cautious pace.
Old 07-29-18, 09:18 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,766 Times in 2,271 Posts
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old 07-29-18, 09:29 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
This sounds a lot like the free 35 mm cameras that were given away during the 1980s when you bought a magazine subscription. "Some 35 mm cameras sell for $200-300, but this one is yours free with your subscription order". What you got was a cheap plastic camera with an "optical lens" and a piece of metal inside to make it feel heavier.
Time Magazine Camera - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia
Old 07-29-18, 09:38 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
I have no idea why there is a quick-release skewer on the front wheel, and a bolt on the rear wheel. I guess if you get a flat while riding, pray for a flat in the front.
A lot of cheapo bikes of that era (and since) had front QR only. QR was mainly for storage in a vehicle, or in a narrow space. Even current rooftop racks often have versions that work by removing the front wheel.

Indeed, recycling is the best path for these bikes, save a few to hang on walls of cheesy theme restaurants. Recycling them into Kias, well......
Old 07-29-18, 09:44 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,357 Times in 2,034 Posts
Crazy TV Lenny was a WI icon. He even did Peugeots for a while.Still into electronics and bikes - together now.

https://crazylennysebikes.com/
Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-29-18, 10:02 AM
madpogue 

^^^ FF to 1:45. Lenny rides one off a dock into Lake Mendota. Fortunately, right down the shore from the UW Lifesaving Station (in the background).
Old 07-29-18, 10:04 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,357 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^ FF to 1:45. Lenny rides one off a dock into Lake Mendota. Fortunately, right down the shore from the UW Lifesaving Station (in the background).

Well yeah, it's a boat anchor!
Old 07-29-18, 11:59 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
I wouldn't touch that with a 99 1/2 foot pole!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 07-29-18, 12:04 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Only a Yugo collector would collect a Firenzi.
Old 07-29-18, 12:20 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
I still remember taking a trip to Madison from Milwaukee one winter weekend to try and catch one of those big sales from American of Madison...... the highway going towards their giant store would actually back up with traffic, something really unusual for anywhere in Wisconsin.
Unfortunately, came home with nothing. Just couldn't find anything cheap enough to buy with my poor college kid budget.... did not feel too bad though cause I got a good look at the bikes they were giving away and I figured that I wasn't missing out on anything, anyway......
Old 07-29-18, 12:54 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 336 Posts
Not rare at all. See hundreds of college kids riding these around in Madison.
Old 07-29-18, 01:07 PM
madpogue 

^^^^^^^ +1; dredge the shoreline around the frat houses / co-ops, or off Law Park, and you'll probably find a thousand more.
Old 07-30-18, 12:08 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Not rare at all. See hundreds of college kids riding these around in Madison.
American TV's Leonard Mattioli (aka "Crazy TV Lenny") gave them away free when you bought some arbitrary appliance, so Madison has a huge number of them.

I remember one year he got dinged by the CPSC because the brakes weren't up to snuff. He had to replace the stock brake pads with Mathhauser pads to get them to perform up to CPSC expectations.

I used to carry a wrench with me and check every Firenze I saw on the curb for trash pick-up (Mifflin St and frat row at end-of-semester were good candidates) to see if they had the Mathhauser pads. If they did, I'd remove them and use them on my own bikes.

N.B. American TV is no more, and apparently Lenny is now selling e-Bikes as his business.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-30-18, 12:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
The Grey paint ones was what I saw , BITD.. Dropped off for tune-ups, new,

so often , that, since I had a similar Grey Specialized Expedition ,

after working on enough of them,

I had fully rebadged my touring bike with Firenze Stickers ..

Never toured to Florence, Italy, But, they probably wouldn't get the joke..

Old 07-30-18, 12:21 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Yep, I was duped into accepting a free one once.
Figured there were likely a few parts on it that I could use.
Figured wrong.

Old 07-30-18, 02:45 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 50 Posts
As a bike industry lifer (40+ years) I can tell you all that these are truly terrible bikes--the lowest quality imaginable. Walmart wouldn't put them on their sales floor today--cut it up for cheater bar stock before it hurts you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.