Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Stop signs now mean "yield" for cyclists in Oregon

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Stop signs now mean "yield" for cyclists in Oregon

Old 01-10-20, 06:20 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
I sure hope they apply to California because here, a stop sign to cyclists means blow through a crowded intersection at 20 MPH and hope you don't get hit. At least if they had to yield, it would be better than what they do now. Just a thought because these stupid cyclists are going to continue to do so no matter what signs say.

Boy, I sure wish I had a my video recorders with me rolling while driving.
Old 01-11-20, 08:11 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
I sure hope they apply to California because here, a stop sign to cyclists means blow through a crowded intersection at 20 MPH and hope you don't get hit. At least if they had to yield, it would be better than what they do now. Just a thought because these stupid cyclists are going to continue to do so no matter what signs say.

Boy, I sure wish I had a my video recorders with me rolling while driving.
Actual video of cyclists "blowing through crowded intersections at 20 MPH" regardless of the presence of other vehicles with the right of way in close proximity would add credence to your level of concern of this problem in your area of California.
Old 01-11-20, 07:37 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Actual video of cyclists "blowing through crowded intersections at 20 MPH" regardless of the presence of other vehicles with the right of way in close proximity would add credence to your level of concern of this problem in your area of California.

I actually have a video on my youtube channel but I don't feel a need to satisfy you. You're the one who doesn't believe there are a ton of Specialized bikes in California (Orange County). Even if I showed the video, you would not believe it!

Last edited by TheDudeIsHere; 01-11-20 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-11-20, 08:42 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
I actually have a video on my youtube channel but I don't feel a need to satisfy you. You're the one who doesn't believe there are a ton of Specialized bikes in California (Orange County). Even if I showed the video, you would not believe it!
I believe that some people tend to exaggerate and may embelish their rhetoric with hyperbole.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 01-12-20, 12:17 AM
TheDudeIsHere

I believe that some people tend to exaggerate and may embelish their rhetoric with hyperbole.

No, I do not exaggerate. If you look at my post, I said I wish I had a recorder with me while driving. But I don't carry it in the car. Once my wife almost made a hood ornament out of some jerk flying between cars at 20 MPH blowing the stop sign. The road and 4 way intersection is right out my front door. A 4% grade so 20 mph is pretty common around here.

I do have a video on my youtube channel of another cyclist rolling through an intersection without slowing as a truck traveling from a 90 degree angle begins its turn through the intersection. It is a video that was sent to me by a friend (his wife in the truck with him) who knows I post many videos on YT.

If I recall correctly, you live in a very different environment than Southern California. As posted in another thread, we have tons of cyclists around here. Not sure why you would think that none of the thousands and thousands of cyclists around here, I would have to exaggerate at all the madness they create.

As I mentioned before, my favorite strava segment has 23, 214 cyclists. Not sure where you live but if you don't see many Specialized bikes, your surrounding are very different than that of Orange County beach area in Southern Ca. No need to exaggerate.
Old 01-15-20, 03:04 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5989 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
This guy makes nice video's about urban environments in mainly the Netherlands and this is a fresh one about stop signs.

Likes For Stadjer:
Old 09-04-20, 10:24 AM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
Sharrows are essentially useless. Car drivers don't know what they are, and cyclists (some) ascribe magical protective powers to them. They are dangerous.
Old 09-10-20, 12:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I do not think I have ever seen any adult cyclist "blow through a stop sign" i.e. ride through a stop sign at speed without paying any attention at all to potential approaching traffic. No doubt they exist somewhere because so many BF posters castigate such reckless behavior, but I suspect that the bloody results of such behavior would remove these "red light blowing" scofflaws from the bicycling population, if not the general population in short order.

I've witnessed it a couple times, but certainly no more often than drivers doing the same thing. It's a rare event. One guy I saw do it on a red light and just miss getting run over. I actually caught up to him after I waited out the light and told him how close to oblivion he had come. We actually had a pretty good chat about it. He was relatively new to cycling, and thought that behavior was "normal". He was actually grateful for the pointer.

I have a four-way stop sign I regularly "blow", but like I said, it's four way, and I can see very well when there's no cars on the cross street. If there's a car approaching or waiting at the corner I'll stop, but otherwise I don't slow down at all.
Old 09-10-20, 02:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
No cross traffic? slow down look both ways.. then proceed..

On my way home, I have a red light I use and turn right U turn go to far lane and cross with the green

its usually low traffic .. sometimes my U turn puts me behind a car , or the local bus,,
Old 09-20-20, 08:29 AM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Idaho's law: https://www.legislature.idaho.gov/ids...SECT49-720.htm

Quoth 'BICYCLE "STOP AND YIELD" LAWS SUPPORT PUBLIC HEALTH
GOALS'
(https://docplayer.net/1126976-Meggs-...le-page.html):

'The State of Idaho Highway Safety Plan, Fiscal Years
1981-1984, which encompasses the period before and after the law was
passed and implemented, stated that the injury rate for bicycles was
constant overall and that "there is no evidence that [bicycle]
fatality rates differ from the national level." Moreover, in the year
following its introduction, bicycle injury rates in the state actually
declined by a substantial 14.5% with no change in the number of
bicyclist fatalities. While aggregate injury rates include numerous
types of collisions, the decline in injuries is consistent with the
strong indication that the law actually improves roadway
safety.'
Old 09-28-20, 07:01 PM
James1019

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If there is a car, I always stop until I am clear from traffic. Better to be safe.
Old 09-28-20, 07:15 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
We had a law that was ignored by cyclists and usually by the police. That's just not a good scenario. I'm not a fan of selective punishment, even when the selection usually excludes my demographic.