Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is Now a Good Time to Cash Out?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-11-20, 07:28 AM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 40 Posts

my love is waning and i'm thinking of selling out bike kit & tools accumulated in the past ten years.

given there is no value in used sports equipment in general, is there any point or do I just toss it all in the bin?

in some absurd way, I would more satisfaction out of the latter than having someone offer me 5 cents on the dollar.
Old 06-11-20, 07:30 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
It's not worth the hassle. Just send it to me.
Old 06-11-20, 07:31 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
If you live in a city, you might find a free, or community, bike program which could take the parts to provide service or complete bikes to youth.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-11-20, 07:33 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Actually, with the shut in going on and production being so messed up the used bike market (used anything, really) has blown up. You might find some of your used bicycling gear to be worth more than you thought and more readily taken up.
Old 06-11-20, 07:49 AM
southpier

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Actually, with the shut in going on and production being so messed up the used bike market (used anything, really) has blown up. You might find some of your used bicycling gear to be worth more than you thought and more readily taken up.
this is my underlying hope. I might sort through stuff and come up with a list.

thx
Old 06-11-20, 07:50 AM
southpier

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
It's not worth the hassle. Just send it to me.

ha ha. ok; go stand by your mailbox and wait for the postman. he always rings twice you know.
Likes For southpier:
Old 06-11-20, 08:57 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Is there an ebay broker near you (and if so, is it open)? They'll take a cut, sure, but you'll get something for the lot with minimal hassle.

Of course, as soon as you dump everything, six months later you'll be interested and excited again. But you'll have no bike.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-11-20, 10:23 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Don't toss it; donate it. If there's a bike co-op or community program in your area, chances are that they'd appreciate the donation. Otherwise, Goodwill, St Vinnie's or other charities could take them. And you may even be able to take a tax deduction for your donation.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-11-20, 01:23 PM
southpier

you know . . . . I hate to be an *******, but at 68 years old I've yet to have someone donate to me. seems like it always costs me money to give something away.

I understand it's not the right spirit of "giving", but in the face of all the people I run into on a daily basis begging for more, it's left me a bit jaded.
Likes For southpier:
Old 06-11-20, 02:36 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by southpier
you know . . . . I hate to be an *******, but at 68 years old I've yet to have someone donate to me. seems like it always costs me money to give something away.

I understand it's not the right spirit of "giving", but in the face of all the people I run into on a daily basis begging for more, it's left me a bit jaded.
I'm 69 and recently sent components or parts to three different forum members in the USA and I sent those parts gratis including me paying the shipping. It's a good feeling to know that something I don't neew/want can help someone out of a desperate situation.

If no one does the same for me, that's no problem for me. I like helping others.

Others on these forums have helped me with parts at a low cost compared to what an Ebay seller wants.

Karma.

Make a list of what you have and then see the forum rules about posting it for sale here. You might just have stuff that others are searching for.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-11-20, 02:50 PM
southpier

I get it. I gave the electrician's helper a used twice park workstand a 2 pair of still tagged crocheted gloves yesterday.

seems like there should be an end to 'giving".

could be i'm just getting a bit (!!!) more crotchety in my old age.

i'll check the 'rules' section; thx.
Old 06-11-20, 03:15 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Once gave a fully disclosed condition lawn mower to someone once.... the person bad mouthed me behind my back saying I pawned off junk to them..
no good deed goes unpunished.
Old 06-11-20, 04:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
When I sell stuff the buyer always gets an incredible deal. I just want it to go quickly and preferably to a "good home." I sold a nice bike to a flipper once and it left a bad taste. I rationalize by figuring he got a good enough deal that the end buyer will still probably come out OK. I've given several bikes and lots of parts to the local bike charity. I hope they are put to good use but I'm not going to dig too deeply
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-11-20, 05:08 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
There were three guys in these forums that were stuck on a repair because they could not get the part needed during the lock-down. The needed parts were in my parts boxes unused and not needed for future projects. So i sent them the parts or components gratis. An interesting thing has happened recently. a bicycle that I sold about 34 years ago came up for sale again. I bought it and sure enough the thin brass sheet that I'd inscribed my name, address and phone number on was still inside the bottom of the seattube. That was for if the bicycle was ever stolen. What are the odds me getting that exact bike back? Was it Karma? Perhaps.

This I do know. I got pleasure form giving and shipping those items gratis. And I know the guys who got them are happy to have them. They'll get lots of enjoyment from them. To me that's worth the bit I spent shipping them. YMMV

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-11-20, 05:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
+1, donate to bike co op .if it's 501 c3 its a tax deduction , blow up that deficit.
Old 06-11-20, 06:46 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
There are several "Dream Bikes" bike shops that take donated bikes and parts and put them to good use (although most of them are in Wisconsin):
https://dream-bikes.org/

I purged most of unused stuff this Spring, much of it I just gave away on Craigslist or for the price of shipping via PinkBike. While I found that used bikes sold well this Spring, parts did not. I don't think the people snatching-up bikes right now are seasoned cyclists that want to wrench on their bikes.
Old 06-11-20, 07:15 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I went through that same process a year or so ago. I eventually donated all my stuff to a St Louis Co-op rather than haggle with somebody over the value of my life.
Old 06-11-20, 07:20 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
curious as to what caused the waning or whatever the driver might be?
Old 06-11-20, 07:33 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts

I bought this bike for $50. After I lubricated it, I sold it for $175 in one day. Be good. Have fun.
Old 06-11-20, 07:43 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
OK. Everybody wants to see more pictures. Here's what I put in the ads..................................

Yeah. This stuff is so easy.............
Old 06-11-20, 07:45 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
Ramzilla,
Great deal on a tool box and tools one afternoon. Seems the wife met his girlfriend, and the box was at the end of the driveway marked make an offer. Smiles, MH
Old 06-12-20, 06:00 AM
southpier

over the years I've offered stuff for postage. without exception, I have had to hound the mfers for postage. I mean 15$ on a new, free 120$ toolbox? a check written on an account "I forgot I closed"? i'm traveling now but will send a check when I get back next month. invariably like mentioned above "i'll take it man" - after all it's free - and I am not in a financial or mental (?) position to spend more money to give something of value away. I gave the painter a 3 year old nitto rear rack (now listed as 165$) for his 30 year old now grown son's Schwinn clunker because he was standing next to me in the workshop when I touched it. I know he'll never take the initiative to go buy 4 gas clamps and put it on the bike - but I never used it when it was mounted on mine, either.

I really am not in a place in life to go through this foolishness again!
Old 06-12-20, 08:11 AM
1964GTO

Bikes: 1972 Peugeot, 2012 Giant Sedona, 2020 Trek FX-2

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I have been selling duplicate tools and parts and stuff on a online app, but life is to short to haggle over $5. I'd rather drop it off at a location that can make good use of it or resell it for a good cause, and then ride.
Old 06-12-20, 11:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by southpier

You are complaining that nobody has donated to you and that it costs you money to give things away?

Take your stuff to a local co-op, if you have one. Give it to them and they will give you a tax donation receipt. It will cost you nothing.
As for complaining that you have received donated items, Im not sure what to do with that, other than to say you should probably feel happy and grateful.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-12-20, 11:30 AM
southpier

no; I was mentioning that no one has donated anything to me. so I guess you don't have to do anything with it.

reading for comprehension are hard (sic).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.