Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Conn. vs. NY bicycle acceptance difference on tour

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 07-18-20, 08:19 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts

We just toured the North Shore of Long Island and the Connecticut Shoreline. Though separated by a few miles of water or highway, the driving culture was completely different. Narrow, heavily traveled “country” roads on the north shore and north fork saw universal competent passing even with fast driving.

Connecticut was terrifying. Horns, screaming, cutting off me or my kids to run us off the road — tailgating inches off my back wheel and leaning on the horn... and it really seemed like every other driver had an angry, enraged look on their face, even when we were just resting with our tour bikes on the side of the road. Restaurants and state parks had a similar difference in vibe.

Why are these states so different?
Old 07-18-20, 08:51 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone

We just toured the North Shore of Long Island and the Connecticut Shoreline. Though separated by a few miles of water or highway, the driving culture was completely different. Narrow, heavily traveled “country” roads on the north shore and north fork saw universal competent passing even with fast driving.

Connecticut was terrifying. Horns, screaming, cutting off me or my kids to run us off the road — tailgating inches off my back wheel and leaning on the horn... and it really seemed like every other driver had an angry, enraged look on their face, even when we were just resting with our tour bikes on the side of the road. Restaurants and state parks had a similar difference in vibe.

this picture reminded of what happened to me two days ago: on a narrow street with plenty of potholes and stationed cars an old man heading towards me is meandering through this mess on his electric wheelchair. i stop and wait for the buddy to pass and all of a sudden the car behind him starts honking agressively : a middleaged woman and her teenage son are inside. i looked at her with embarrassment and when she opened her window i asked her if she was comfortable inside her airconditioned car.. She throws her wide open hand straight into my face and aggressively drives away..
Let's just focus on the other 99% of drivers who are not like that..
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 07-18-20, 10:11 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

It really was 99% plus who were nice and courteous on the NY State streets. I’m trying to figure out what is wrong with my home state.
Old 07-18-20, 12:13 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts

Who knows? I see this within the same metro region. For me it's the difference between urban and suburban. And with suburban, I'm not even talking about getting on the major arteries, people just generally seem more intolerant of anything that causes them to deviate from their current speed and track. I know there are people that perceive the city to be unsafe. Honestly, maybe it's familiarity, but I don't feel unsafe in areas life long suburban dwellers would feel uncomfortable due to crime rate or perceived crime rate. It varies quite a bit by neighborhood. I would say threatened by bad actors or motorists in the city: 0 in recent memory, I don't recall anything blatant ever, but 40+ yrs is a long time for making an accurate absolute statement. Threatened by motorists in suburbs: lost count of minor infractions years ago (multiple per year), 3 significant infractions, 1 I would consider attempted assault. I'm only counting things I believe to be intentional. There's certainly some incidental things, very few relatively, that have happened in urban setting; but last summer two folks, two separate incidences actually went out of their way to apologize for a 'near miss' they perceived to be their fault. I'm not talking about a sheepish wave, I mean along the lines of 'I'm so sorry I really didn't see you there.' or 'Dude, I didn't realize you coming so fast my bad.'
Likes For gear64:
Old 07-18-20, 12:48 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Originally Posted by gear64
Who knows? I see this within the same metro region. For me it's the difference between urban and suburban. And with suburban, I'm not even talking about getting on the major arteries, people just generally seem more intolerant of anything that causes them to deviate from their current speed and track. I know there are people that perceive the city to be unsafe. Honestly, maybe it's familiarity, but I don't feel unsafe in areas life long suburban dwellers would feel uncomfortable due to crime rate or perceived crime rate. It varies quite a bit by neighborhood. I would say threatened by bad actors or motorists in the city: 0 in recent memory, I don't recall anything blatant ever, but 40+ yrs is a long time for making an accurate absolute statement. Threatened by motorists in suburbs: lost count of minor infractions years ago (multiple per year), 3 significant infractions, 1 I would consider attempted assault. I'm only counting things I believe to be intentional. There's certainly some incidental things, very few relatively, that have happened in urban setting; but last summer two folks, two separate incidences actually went out of their way to apologize for a 'near miss' they perceived to be their fault. I'm not talking about a sheepish wave, I mean along the lines of 'I'm so sorry I really didn't see you there.' or 'Dude, I didn't realize you coming so fast my bad.'
I think maybe the LI drivers have enough experience driving in the City that they don’t act like suburban CT drivers do.

I cycle in Bridgeport and New Haven often for pleasure and for commuting. And it is the suburban towns where I feel — with reasons and experiences
like yours — much less safe.

I did have one bad experience in New Haven when a driver rolled his window down, pointed at me, and said “sidewalk.” I pointed at him and said two words back about where he belonged. My assumption about his homophobia was correct. The ensuing curb jumping chase was a bit scary. Luckily we turned a corner to a taped off police investigation of a shooting. So I was safe lol

Last edited by Standalone; 07-18-20 at 12:53 PM.
Likes For Standalone:
Old 07-18-20, 03:31 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
I lived in CT for a couple of years. Made many good bicycling friends. But in general, I find the folks in CT to be the least friendly folks of the 5 states I have lived. I also found the motorists to be the most aggressive and many of the roads having short site lines and many curves.
The only other State I felt the same way is S. Carolina. I do find the people there to be very friendly but not when they get behind the wheel.

One last comment. In all of my touring, which is nearly every state, when I do talk to a local, they almost always say 'our drivers are rude and dangerous, be careful' I think it really says we need to move to protected bike lanes.
Likes For debade:
Old 07-18-20, 03:44 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Originally Posted by debade
I lived in CT for a couple of years. Made many good bicycling friends. But in general, I find the folks in CT to be the least friendly folks of the 5 states I have lived. I also found the motorists to be the most aggressive and many of the roads having short site lines and many curves.
The only other State I felt the same way is S. Carolina. I do find the people there to be very friendly but not when they get behind the wheel.

One last comment. In all of my touring, which is nearly every state, when I do talk to a local, they almost always say 'our drivers are rude and dangerous, be careful' I think it really says we need to move to protected bike lanes.
I grew up in SE PA/Del/Md. area and moved here to where my folks grew up — my family roots are all here. The more I ride here the more I get that sense.

Connecticut’s unfriendliness has to do with its segregation I think. It is the most racially and economically segregated place I’ve ever lived or traveled to.
Old 07-18-20, 06:29 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
And hostile behaviours are seemingly enhanced during this Covid-19 thing.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-19-20, 08:29 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
So, why is the car on your right? Were you in a left turn lane waiting to turn left?

Or, were you riding in the opposite direction of the woman and she drove down the wrong side of the road just to harass you?
Old 07-19-20, 11:37 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Originally Posted by FiftySix
So, why is the car on your right? Were you in a left turn lane waiting to turn left?

Or, were you riding in the opposite direction of the woman and she drove down the wrong side of the road just to harass you?
This was after the incident.
I caught up to her (on my fully loaded touring bike 140 miles into my tour) at the red light to speak to her at the intersection.
“Those are my kids! They are children!”

”GETOUTOFTHEROAAAD! GETOUTOFTGEROAAAD!!!” Is all she said.

Adviseable? Maybe not, but I’m among those who will speak up and speak out. Some choose not to.
Old 07-19-20, 11:47 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Originally Posted by FiftySix

She was honking at my sons who were a block or half a block behind me or so coming off the causeway section of the bridge. No shoulder — she became enraged and started honking at the kids who then moved more clearly into the lane since there was some oncoming traffic and no safe way to pass. She lost it and still dangerously passed them, swerving at their front wheels in doing so. You know the rage pass thing. She then zoomed past me, yelling Get out of the road. I caught up to her to photo her license plate, and her. And to let her know that those were my children.

Old 07-20-20, 08:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I am from the center of the country. When I was working I was sent off to one of our training sites two or three times of the year. I pretty much found that the people in the crescent from Mass to south of Washington to be very rude. Must have something to do with them being all jammed together.
Old 07-20-20, 02:48 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts

Congratulations, you found a Karen.

I wish I could say they are a rare sighting.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 07-20-20, 02:52 PM
Notso_fastLane

She was honking at my sons who were a block or half a block behind me or so coming off the causeway section of the bridge. No shoulder — she became enraged and started honking at the kids who then moved more clearly into the lane since there was some oncoming traffic and no safe way to pass. She lost it and still dangerously passed them, swerving at their front wheels in doing so. You know the rage pass thing. She then zoomed past me, yelling Get out of the road. I caught up to her to photo her license plate, and her. And to let her know that those were my children.

Feel free to report the license to the Close Call Database: https://www.facebook.com/Close-Call-...7576503038069/
Old 07-21-20, 02:03 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
That lady seems nice - at first I thought she was cheering you on....but then I saw Connecticut.

CT is known as "The Nutmeg State" - regardless of other historical explanation, I suspect it's because the inhabitants act like they have nutmeg seeds stuck up their arses.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 07-21-20, 03:16 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I am from the center of the country. When I was working I was sent off to one of our training sites two or three times of the year. I pretty much found that the people in the crescent from Mass to south of Washington to be very rude. Must have something to do with them being all jammed together.
Yeah, no...
Old 07-21-20, 05:25 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
We just toured the North Shore of Long Island and the Connecticut Shoreline. ....
Long Island has a reputation of being dangerous for riding.

One LI woman wrote an editorial on "patch.com" complaining about cyclists. I commented that she wasn't a good driver if she couldn't deal with cyclists. She got mad.

We'd need more than your experience to make a determination of one being actually worse than the other.
Old 07-22-20, 08:41 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Yeah, no...
Then how do you explain the fact almost to a one they were rude loud mouthed know it alls?

OTOH almost all of the guys I met in class from upstate NY were everyday normal guys.
Old 07-22-20, 01:24 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Then how do you explain the fact almost to a one they were rude loud mouthed know it alls?

OTOH almost all of the guys I met in class from upstate NY were everyday normal guys.
If you want to throw around trite generalizations about millions of people, then be prepared for others to do the same. Would you like us to offer up some stereotypes about rural life and flyover states?
Old 07-22-20, 01:30 PM
Notso_fastLane

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
If you want to throw around trite generalizations about millions of people, then be prepared for others to do the same. Would you like us to offer up some stereotypes about rural life and flyover states?
I spent 8 years in Dumb****istan...aka Kansas. I can help with that.
Old 07-22-20, 05:02 PM
AdamWilson
Cycling Enthusiast

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Giant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I grew up in Chicago, IL area and moved here to where my folks grew up — my family roots are all here. The more I ride there the more I get that sense, people here are very friendly. I recently lived in CT for a couple of months and made many good bicycling friends.
Old 07-22-20, 06:57 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Hmm. The common denominator here is you.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-23-20, 11:03 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Many people in CT are miserable. Why? Because their lives are miserable - aspirant, meaning little-to-no control over what they do, and always trying to please some Type A boss. I know CT well, and the sad treadmill of desperate striving on which many find themselves. People making 250K, riding the Metro North, and with some of the most horrible relationships and psyches I've ever encountered.

One summer when I was young (the early 80's) I drove an ice cream truck in Bridgeport.

I took a lot of acid in those days, and drank like a fish. The stories from that experience are epic, and awful.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 07-24-20, 05:42 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Long Island has a reputation of being dangerous for riding.

One LI woman wrote an editorial on "patch.com" complaining about cyclists. I commented that she wasn't a good driver if she couldn't deal with cyclists. She got mad.

We'd need more than your experience to make a determination of one being actually worse than the other.
Ive lived in NYC (5 yrs) and CT (16 yrs). Never an agressive incident in NYC or upstate. Monthly occurrences in CT. It is aggregate lived experience, not isolated anecdote.

My wife was unintentionally hit by a drunk on her bike in our Queens neighborhood. He intentionally ran, but that is not what we are talking about here
Old 07-24-20, 05:45 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Many people in CT are miserable. Why? Because their lives are miserable - aspirant, meaning little-to-no control over what they do, and always trying to please some Type A boss. I know CT well, and the sad treadmill of desperate striving on which many find themselves. People making 250K, riding the Metro North, and with some of the most horrible relationships and psyches I've ever encountered.

One summer when I was young (the early 80's) I drove an ice cream truck in Bridgeport.

I took a lot of acid in those days, and drank like a fish. The stories from that experience are epic, and awful.
I am an educator in Bridgeport. No trips for me...

You are right about the misery. CT is such a divided and angry place.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.