Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wired or Wireless Cycling Computer?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-16, 11:31 AM
TripleB67

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interested in hearing if you use a wired or wireless cycling computer on your road bike and what you see as the pros/cons of each type?

I've got a CatEye Enduro 2 wired computer on my mountain bike (currently riding this bike on the road) that I bought back in probably 2000...absolutely love it. Deadly accurate and battery lasts forever. I also have a Garmin Forerunner 305 watch on my bike that I used to use for running. I like having it so I can upload my rides to my computer....but after about 7 weeks into my cycling career I'm finding I seem to care less and less about having my rides on my computer. It doesn't seem near as accurate as my Enduro---after a 40 mile ride they were about 1.5 miles apart from each other...in zooming into the route the Garmin recorded it shows me going through grass, trees, houses, etc.

Going to be getting a road bike early next year...plan on leaving the Enduro 2 on my road bike so will be looking to get a new cycling computer.

Thanks for any advice!!!

TripleB67

Last edited by TripleB67; 10-29-16 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-29-16, 11:34 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5891 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,080 Posts
I used to run wired computers; then I bought a wireless and I'd never go back. One downside is that battery life tends to be shorter. The battery won't last forever like your enduro 2. I used to own one and loved it as well.

I picked up a lezyne super gps and love it. More complicated than a simple wired computer but it has a lot of very cool extra functionality. Lack of wires is a plus and it has good battery life.
Old 10-29-16, 01:12 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked 3,408 Times in 1,590 Posts
Wired computers.

Pro's: long battery life, lower cost, only one battery.

Con's: you have to figure out how to route the wires in a secure fashion that is visually acceptable. Also, it's one more thing you have to remove or accommodate when performing maintenance that requires removing the handlebars or fork.

I should mention that I don't use computer that sense pedal cadence. With the extra wires, I think I'd go with a wireless computer for that application.
Old 10-29-16, 01:15 PM
EricSteven5

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F900

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wireless are great, but beware that some certain models will be susceptible to interference when using high powered headlights. Can cause wildly inaccurate readings and/or simply not read speed at all when lights are on.
Old 10-29-16, 08:48 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Wired. Very reliable. Long battery life.
Old 10-29-16, 08:55 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3101 Post(s)
Liked 6,644 Times in 3,806 Posts
Wireless. Had a wired one for years and hated the wires.

Not doubting if could happen, but I have never had a problem with my headlight interfering with it.
Old 10-30-16, 05:03 AM
crankythunder

Location: burrokratic republik of Michigan, cubicle LVW-2a20c

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Trek Y-33, Rans LWB recumbent, Vision SWB Recumbent, Fuji MTB, Schwinn Beach Cruiser with two stroke

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Careful

I had to go to wired on my recumbents with a extra long wire because the distance between mounting position and wheel was too far away fot the computer to read the sensor
Old 10-30-16, 06:01 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by EricSteven5
Wireless are great, but beware that some certain models will be susceptible to interference when using high powered headlights. Can cause wildly inaccurate readings and/or simply not read speed at all when lights are on.
^^ This!!

Had a wireless computer a few years back and could never use it after dark. I thought maybe it was because it was a cheap model from Wally World. Turns out even a more expensive one from my LBS had problems when my headlight was on. I use my phone nowadays. Might not be quite as accurate, but it does the job I need it to do.

Old 10-30-16, 03:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My 80's German Ciclomaster offered a wireless, by just mounting the computer down where the wheel magnet was .
Putting the magnetic pulse sensor in the side of the computer .
Old 11-02-16, 09:04 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Extremely short battery life, coupled with interference issues, has driven me back to wired. My cateye is within half a km of strava over a 110 km distance.

Old 11-02-16, 09:47 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The question boils down to: do you care about looks?
Old 11-02-16, 11:07 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I go wired only. It only takes a tiny bit of care to make the wire all but invisible, and they're more reliable, cheaper, and the batteries last longer.

But I only have it there for speed/time. If I were doing cadence I might care more about wires. As is, you can only really see the wires a little on the front, and up there it's a forest of brake and shifter cables and headlight cable anyway, the comp sensor wire isn't even really noticeable.
Old 11-02-16, 11:18 AM
oni_koroshi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wired is great in that the battery lasts forever, its reliable, and it's cheap. The downside is the cable routing can look ugly and the speed sensor is usually on the front wheel so you won't get anything when on a trainer except cadence.

With wireless it can get expensive and for a little bit more you can get a wireless GPS and ANT+ support. It really depends on your budget and what you want to do with it.
Old 11-02-16, 11:27 AM
deex

Bikes: Giant TCR SL 1, Niner Air 9, Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I use the Wahoo RFLKT with a cadence/speed and heart monitor added on. It works great. Of course I also have to carry the phone.
Old 11-02-16, 02:03 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
FWIW, get some electrical tape the same color as your frame, tape the wires down with that. If you can't find it, use black and tape in a nice looking pattern, you can make it look good.
Old 11-02-16, 03:18 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 108 Posts
I'd say that it largely depends on the metrics you want to track. if you only care about speed, wired are an option. A bit less so if you also want cadence (generally means 2 cables to run to your computer head). And I do not know of any wired HRM.

I personally prefer ANT+ over proprietary protocols. These sensors can be used by multiple devices at once (e.g. a dedicated computer head + a smartphone and/or a smartwatch).

There are very few ANT+ computer heads that aren't also a navigation device. (the vast majority of ANT+ devices integrate GPS and map display, which means a battery life measured in (few) hours). The Bontrager Node 1.1 is a basic ANT+ head. It is inexpensive, has a battery life measured in months and connects/displays data within seconds of being activated.
Old 11-02-16, 03:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Once you go beyond around 10 to 12 hours, battery life starts to be less of an issue for most people.
Old 11-08-16, 03:14 AM
metro2005

Bikes: Cube travel pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I've had a wireless VDO cycling computer and that thing just ate batteries and they where expensive batteries too (and off course: 2 of them) . Then there was the interference at traffic lights, bridges and just random disconnects. In the end the battery compartment of the sensor was al rusted out due to salt and weather influences so i went back to wired again. Battery life: Around 4-5 years instead of 3-6 months and always an accurate reading.
The only 'problem' is that you have a cable running from the sensor to the computer but i dont think its that big of a deal. Sure wireless looks nice but in the end i just want something that works and keeps on working.

So wired all the way.

Last edited by metro2005; 11-08-16 at 03:17 AM.
Old 11-08-16, 09:12 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The question boils down to: do you care about looks?

perhaps, or perhaps not....

I would argue that this looks as good as a lot of wireless setups.....

Steve in Peoria

(edit: please ignore the hairy legs when considering the aesthetics of the photo. )
Old 11-08-16, 04:20 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts

Wired. But only if you can keep it clean loooking.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-08-16, 04:31 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The "clean look" thing has always baffled me. First off, just about any bike, up front where the wire is for most basic comps, is a mess of brake and shifter cables anyway. Second, it takes about 5 minutes with a bit of vinyl tape to make the cable pretty much disappear.
Old 11-09-16, 10:27 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
(edit: please ignore the hairy legs when considering the aesthetics of the photo. )
My legs look like chewbacca. I just like to ride bikes. It's a great photo, I love the visible sense of motion. Nice bike, too!

Here's mine.

Old 11-09-16, 11:18 AM
steelbikeguy

My legs look like chewbacca. I just like to ride bikes. It's a great photo, I love the visible sense of motion. Nice bike, too!
The "candy" paint on the International looks great in direct sun, as does the chrome. It certainly makes it easier to take a good photo. The camera was a cheap Android phone, which is why the spokes look severely bent... but it does make you think that the bike is moving 100 mph.

Here's mine.

lovely scenery!
It does make me feel a bit of a chill, though... better put on the arm warmers!

Steve in Peoria
Old 11-12-16, 10:23 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 183 Posts
I've used wired computers for as long as I have had computers on a bike (~17 years) and recently tried to install a wireless computer on a recumbent trike. Couldn't get it to work even though it worked fine off the trike and the distance between the sensor and computer was less than half the max stated on the instructions. It turned out that parts of the aluminum frame were between the sensor and the computer blocking the RF signal. I've snagged the wires on the computer a few times over the years but it you route them carefully this should be rare.
Old 11-12-16, 01:34 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by deex
I use the Wahoo RFLKT with a cadence/speed and heart monitor added on. It works great. Of course I also have to carry the phone.
Same setup here! I always have my phone with me anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.