Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Saddle Recover Questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Saddle Recover Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-20, 05:35 PM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
Saddle Recover Questions

I am going to recover this Turbo. I tried to keep the material in once piece as I took it off so I have a pattern. Seems to not be a whole lot of information out there (I see why this is not a desirable route) so I am hoping someone can give me a few tips. I am thinking heat, stretch, glue, and little clamps.

Anyone have experience with this or ways to make it easier? What material will be easiest to work with? What is the best glue? Thank you.

Old 01-15-20, 05:52 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 702 Posts
This thread has some good advice: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ur-saddle.html
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 01-15-20, 06:08 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,908 Times in 935 Posts
There are plenty of online guides, but one I've been meaning to try this one: https://www.instructables.com/id/ref...-with-leather/

It includes soaking the leather to make it more pliable.

Also, if you can get Kangaroo leather, it's way more durable.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 01-15-20, 06:17 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 321 Posts
Somebody got their money’s worth.
The threads posted above should answer most of your questions. I have always had good luck with Weldwood contact cement. No heat, no soaking, no clamps. Also no re-positioning, so you have to be pretty careful.
The difficult part for you will be filling the foam losses before you cover. You can skip it and it will probably still ride OK, but the depressions will show. If you find a good material for filling in, please share!
Likes For due ruote:
Old 01-16-20, 12:56 AM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Originally Posted by due ruote
Somebody got their money’s worth.
The threads posted above should answer most of your questions. I have always had good luck with Weldwood contact cement. No heat, no soaking, no clamps. Also no re-positioning, so you have to be pretty careful.
The difficult part for you will be filling the foam losses before you cover. You can skip it and it will probably still ride OK, but the depressions will show. If you find a good material for filling in, please share!
Interesting, and there is no worry of contact cement on the foam? If so, ill do this. I know that stuff will melt through insulation board.
Old 01-16-20, 12:56 AM
Padgett

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Thanks for the redirection, had trouble finding a relevant thread!
Old 01-16-20, 08:00 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Big thanks for the link.
Old 01-16-20, 10:35 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 321 Posts
Originally Posted by Padgett
Interesting, and there is no worry of contact cement on the foam? If so, ill do this. I know that stuff will melt through insulation board.
I have done about a half dozen saddles and never had a problem with it. Some people seem to prefer 3M spray adhesive but I believe that’s a contact cement as well. Both are pretty volatile and should be used with good ventilation and away from gas pilots.