Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Dawes ends Galaxy touring bike line after 49 years

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Dawes ends Galaxy touring bike line after 49 years

Old 11-18-20, 01:34 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Now I understand what a gravel bike is.

How could I have missed the most important criteria, the brochure and website claims?
And don't forget the decals!
Old 11-23-20, 04:39 AM
muse kidd

Bikes: 1979 Trek 412, 2011 Dawes Ultra Galaxy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Dawes

When I moved to the UK ten years ago I wanted to buy a proper British touring bike. Dawes was considered the best. However, much changed with the brand over the past ten years. They struggled at times, yet they made a few fabulous frames, notably a titanium tourer and 531 Reynolds 531 lugged "retro" Galaxy. Dawes has a well-deserved cult following here. Ask anyone in the industry and they'll concur.

My Galaxy uses Reynolds 853 steel and came with solid Deore/XT components on a 9-speed triple. (of course... most all of it has been replaced over the years and miles...) It's kind of a shame Dawes didn't hold out one more year to make a special 50th anniversary edition. I for one would love to see what they would come up with...

Btw, for all you gravel hounds, I can easily run 700 x 38mm tyres with mudguards/fenders! This bike goes just about anywhere I want...
Old 11-23-20, 05:22 AM
muse kidd

Bikes: 1979 Trek 412, 2011 Dawes Ultra Galaxy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Here's my Dawes outside St. Brides Netherwent from August of this year...

2011 Dawes Ultra Galaxy
Likes For muse kidd:
Old 11-23-20, 10:57 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by muse kidd
Here's my Dawes outside St. Brides Netherwent from August of this year...
2011 Dawes Ultra Galaxy
Very nice looking bike.
Old 11-30-20, 10:08 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '06 Specialized Epic Marathon MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
This bike has almost nothing to do with a tour bike anyway. IMO. Good riddance.
The older ones were a bit better I think.
I agree. This doesn’t look at all like the type of touring bike someone serious about bike touring would like to invest in - short chainstays, the rear rack looks weak, the mudguards don’t offer much protection.

Unfortunately, with the pandemic, the demand for touring bikes will most likely remain low until at least 2022. Even companies like Surly are discontinuing their world touring models. Many parks and campgrounds are closed, hosts on Warmshowers or Couchsurf are not eager to host strangers, many countries have restrictions for foreign visitors. So, all in all, not great times for bike touring unless you just plan to do some credit card touring or rent a place in an interesting locale for some hub-and-spoke tours. But definitely no need for a proper touring bike to do any of this.

In the immediate future, those interested in heavy duty touring bikes may be forced to look at the very few new (some underperforming) models still available, secondary market or buy custom. From my own experience, I bought a super versatile 26”-wheeled custom bike from Rodriguez Cycles in Seattle back in 2012. Hands down, the best investment of my life! This bike has served me as a serious tourer, as a randonneur (completed the Paris-Brest-Paris on it), as a gravel tourer (San Juan Huts in Colorado/Utah) and it is my regular “road” bike. The other bike I have is a 29er hardtail MTB for the more gnarly trails and singletracks.
Likes For Chris Pringle:
Old 11-30-20, 11:56 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
I agree. This doesn’t look at all like the type of touring bike someone serious about bike touring would like to invest in - short chainstays, the rear rack looks weak, the mudguards don’t offer much protection.

In the immediate future, those interested in heavy duty touring bikes may be forced to look at the very few new (some underperforming) models still available, secondary market or buy custom. From my own experience, I bought a super versatile 26”-wheeled custom bike from Rodriguez Cycles in Seattle back in 2012. Hands down, the best investment of my life! This bike has served me as a serious tourer, as a randonneur (completed the Paris-Brest-Paris on it), as a gravel tourer (San Juan Huts in Colorado/Utah) and it is my regular “road” bike. The other bike I have is a 29er hardtail MTB for the more gnarly trails and singletracks.
I'm really glad to hear your bike lived up to your wishes and dreams. I remember it well and saved the picture of it. Most beautiful bike I've see here, by far. If it had a Rohloff I would ride it too. I also remember you decided against this. LOL.

In 2018 I was actually in their little shop. I had a DIY disc brake mount I wanted them to weld on. They said we don't do repairs. Pffft. One of their displays was a midget size frame with drop bars and it still had a 100 mm stem. Dumbest thing I've ever seen.
So anyway with their help I found Haulin Colin there. It took me all day to take my tour bike apart for them to work on, then paint it and put it back together. Turned out great.

My custom turned out like an ugly rhino, what I had planned. LOL. Indestructible and devoid of fiddly unreliable parts.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 12-01-20 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-01-20, 12:21 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
Good lord the echo chamber in this thread is headpounding.

I'll just say that for those who criticized the roadcc review because it mentions the appeal of lighter weight and packing less, if thats the trend then so be it. Less traditional touring bikes overall makes sense if there is less interest in traditional touring.

Traditional touring cyclists tend to be picky and hold onto their gear for years. There seems to be a defiant opposition to a lot of new tech and trends.
9sp is common(its what I use). 3x front is common(again, what i use). Canti brakes are common(me once more). Racks that could carry an elephant, tents you can stand up in, spices and devices to prepare gourmet meals, etc etc.
Of course this forum is reacting in completely predictable ways.

Pretend I cared enough to insert the Simpsons Grandpa shaking his fist at a cloud meme here.
Old 12-01-20, 03:15 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
There's always

https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/...bikes-2021.php
https://tout-terrain.de/en/the-products/
https://www.koga.com/de/fahrrader/re...ollektion-2018
https://www.maxx.de/en/bikes/trekking28/overview.php
https://www.poison-bikes.de/Fahrraeder/Trekking_Reise/
https://www.boettcher-fahrraeder.de/...Fahrr%C3%A4der
https://velotraum.de/

Those would all be mass produced touring bikes and that's just here. If you want a traditional touring bike they're still out there but are a wee bit more boutique. If I were to go buy a touring bike right now it'd be from VSF or Tout Terrain and I think both have dealers in the states and if you're in Europe then all are available to you.
Old 12-01-20, 06:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,277 Times in 7,225 Posts

As for elephants, has anyone ever toured with one? Wondering if my SS would have low enough gearing

TIA