Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tips for rural unsupported solo ride

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tips for rural unsupported solo ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-21, 02:36 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
If you’re a AAA member their vehicle service extends to bicycles and they’ll try to get someone to pick you up if you have cell coverage your entire ride. I’ve never used it but take my AAA card just in case.

I ride sometimes in eastern Oregon and rural Idaho often through BLM land where you can be easily 20 miles from anywhere during a self supported century and maybe only see a couple cars an hour and never had a mechanical I couldn’t fix and limp home. No banjos out here but you do sometimes run into yokels shooting whistle pigs or bottles way too close to the road for my comfort.
Old 01-25-21, 02:56 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey

Note - I don't carry all that stuff anymore. Just two tubes and a pump. But my wife is willing to come pick me up if I have a problem, and I'm more fastidious about maintenance these days. And the OP is obviously concerned about having his bases covered.
I only carry one tube and a CO2 inflator. But I do have a couple allen's, screwdriver and swiss army knife. So I guess you still got me beat for lightness.

I do think that being able to do your own maintenance and as you say how "fastidious" one is about keeping up with and just plain knowing how well the bike's condition condition is prior to a ride will make taking anything more seem like being overprepared or a worry wort.

Though for those that are doing multi-day trips, it's understandable to take more of a bike repair shop with you. But for a five, six or even seven hour ride. I'm not too worried about anything but maybe a flat.
Old 01-25-21, 03:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I only carry one tube and a CO2 inflator. But I do have a couple allen's, screwdriver and swiss army knife. So I guess you still got me beat for lightness.

Given my size, that doesn't seem likely.

I do think that being able to do your own maintenance and as you say how "fastidious" one is about keeping up with and just plain knowing how well the bike's condition condition is prior to a ride will make taking anything more seem like being overprepared or a worry wort.

Though for those that are doing multi-day trips, it's understandable to take more of a bike repair shop with you. But for a five, six or even seven hour ride. I'm not too worried about anything but maybe a flat.
I used to carry two tubes, levers, instant patch kit, traditional patch kit, spoke wrench, chain breaker, and a little clip-on thingie with two allen keys with different sized heads covering the range from 3-6mm, with one of the wrenches wrapped in duct tape. After a few years, I realized I never used any of it - not after that one time I described above. But again, that was in the days before everyone had a cell phone with them all the time.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-25-21, 03:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by bblevens
Thanks again for all the great advice.

I do think I missed a couple of items in my OP.

My planned rides will be taking place a couple of hundred miles from home in rural areas of Indiana and Kentucky. Having someone I know come get me isn’t a good option. Although I do think I’m concerned over nothing.

I have located some good ride maps touring covered bridges in Indiana. I’ll give that a go this spring. 50-100 miles and good photo ops.
Ah. If you're doing rides in destinations away from home, I would strongly consider a dedicated GPS cycling computer with mapping/routing capabilities (turn-by-turn with road names is handy) and I'd also download the regional map to your phone, too, so that it can be used off-line, if necessary.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-25-21, 05:58 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6939 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I used to carry two tubes, levers, instant patch kit, traditional patch kit, spoke wrench, chain breaker, and a little clip-on thingie with two allen keys with different sized heads covering the range from 3-6mm, with one of the wrenches wrapped in duct tape. After a few years, I realized I never used any of it - not after that one time I described above. But again, that was in the days before everyone had a cell phone with them all the time.
Yeah, I can't recall the last time I used my mini-tool (which is one of the larger and fuller-featured models), and I haven't fixed a puncture in ages, since I converted my two main bikes to tubeless. But I still carry all of the stuff, along with some redundancies such as CO2 and a mini-pump. My wife's job pays for all of my cycling gear, and it is pretty demanding -- so she would not be able to drop everything and pick me up if I had a breakdown on a weekday.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-25-21, 08:05 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
My advice is to skip the dog whistle.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 01-26-21, 08:17 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Tips, assuming totally unsupported meaning possibility of no food or water availability and going 100mi:

-Look into a clamp-on behind saddle bottle cage mount, put some extra drink back there. Assuming nowhere to get more fluids.

-Certainly a fully charged/new battery good rear red blinking light. I love my Garmin radar, but realize that may be out of budget for some.

-Fully charged cell phone. Then, if not necessary at time, maybe leave it off to conserve battery.

-Look in Google Maps streetview ahead at some of the route to make sure no surprises or closures.

-2 spare tubes, a few of those little patch stickers, a $5 bill for emergency or sidewall tear, frame pump, very simple cheap mini tool

-Give a person not going your route and expect time/location of halfway and finish. Send a text or something at halfway.
Old 01-26-21, 08:37 AM
bblevens
Senior Age Man In Lycra

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
-Certainly a fully charged/new battery good rear red blinking light. I love my Garmin radar, but realize that may be out of budget for some.

-Look in Google Maps streetview ahead at some of the route to make sure no surprises or closures.

-Give a person not going your route and expect time/location of halfway and finish. Send a text or something at halfway.
I’ve got the Garmin radar. Feel naked without it.
all of these are great tips.

My main concern of the unlikely event of being stuck for some reason and needing a pickup has been resolved. It seems my Velosurance policy has roadside. Sadly my AAA doesn’t see bikes as part of their coverage.

I’ve got some routes planned. Just need the weather. 😊
Likes For bblevens:
Old 01-26-21, 08:47 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
My advice is to skip the dog whistle.
USE a Marine Air Horn to Stop Dogs

Old 01-26-21, 09:09 AM
bblevens
Senior Age Man In Lycra

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
USE a Marine Air Horn to Stop Dogs
And most anything else I suspect. 😊

In a pinch I’ve used a good squirt from the water bottle. Catches them off guard and stops them where they are.
Old 01-26-21, 10:35 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Bringing a headlight can make the difference between high risk and/or bad decisions,

and no big deal if stuff happens and you finish after dark.
Old 01-27-21, 09:04 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Oh for the days of putting a couple bucks and a banana in my jersey pocket, spare tubular behind my saddle and taking off on a long bike ride. No wallet, no ID, and long before cell phones. Tens of thousands of miles, no incidents of being stranded. Oh, and never considered wearing a helmet.

That was kind of the attraction of bike riding. The bike enabled you to venture out and be self sufficient.
Old 01-27-21, 09:14 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ha - I hear ya. But it really is one of those things where you might not notice how many places there are until you're actively noting them. After that, you'll likely realize that it's a not much of a concern at all; I can't imagine an area depressed enough that I couldn't find a Snickers and a beverage within 10 miles.
There was a "no services for 50 miles" sign on the 200 mile loop starting at my front door hitting two of the three highest paved peaks in my area with a population of 7.7 million.

Except for a fire station which kept water out for cyclists the sign was accurate.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-27-21 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-27-21, 09:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
There was a "no services for 50 miles" sign on my 200 mile loop hitting two of the three highest paved peaks in my area.

Except for a fire station which kept water out of cyclists the sign was accurate.
Cool.
Old 01-27-21, 09:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
"out of" or "out for" ??
Old 01-27-21, 12:38 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
"out of" or "out for" ??
Out for.
Old 01-28-21, 04:58 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Take a spare tyre to swap in after your second mysterious puncture. Three tubes and a patch kit.
Know how to deal with spoke breakages and a busted derailleur or chain.
An emergency ration and a little more water than you think you'll need.
Have fun.