Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Presta valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-21, 03:43 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
On a related note, I'm looking for a small pump to carry along that has both a presta and schrader head (like my floor pump) any recommendations?
Topeak Morph. Pick a flavor with the features you like. There are at least 6 different models with a variety of features. The switch from Presta to Schrader and back isn’t as simple as some floor pumps. It does require a bit of disassembly but it’s not difficult.

My tires are all presta, but my airshocks are schrader. Also, it seems bikes around here are about 50/50 and I like to be able to help people if they have flats.
A pump that will work on tires isn’t going to work on a shock. The shock needs high pressure but very tiny volumes. The tires need low pressure but massive volumes. The tiny volume can be pumped easily even at high pressure. The high volume is much more difficult to get to high pressures. Most tire pumps also don’t have a pressure bleed valve on them. You need that to tune the pressure on the shock. But you only want to release a tiny amount of air because you only have a tiny amount if air in the shock.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-30-21, 03:50 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I remember, as a kid, that using the compressor at the gas station was a sure way to have a tube explode because the volume of air they put out.

At home I use a track pump and on the road I use Co2 since i rather not carry a pump.

Using a gas station is not really an option since most require you to pay for air these days.
The blow offs caused by gas station compressors probably had less to do with volume and more to do with the poor interface between the tire and the wheel. I always have to check small wheels on kids bikes when using a compressor at the co-op. The steel wheels on those bikes don’t use a good hook bead and will often slide off when filled from the hose. The speed of the air rushing into the tube seems too fast for the tire to react and it slips off the bead.

We do occasionally see a better quality bike with better aluminum wheels in small sizes. Those seldom have a problem. It could be a coefficient of friction problems as well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!