Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rarely are the Biking Gods So Considerate

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-21, 05:43 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts

Nice day today and I went out for a routine 30'ish mile ride in the countryside here in south-central NC. A bit more traffic than normal (but normal is almost no traffic), so still a very pleasant ride. Ride was over, bike computer off, and I was 2 blocks from home when I had a flat tire. Like I said - rarely are the biking Gods so considerate.

dave

ps. I am going to ride this particular front tire until I have a flat just to prove to myself that it is possible to flat on a front tire - I don't EVER recall having done that.
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 03-25-21, 06:03 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I once got a flat a 100 yards from my house, so i walked it and saved the CO2 canister.

BTW, i've had a flat int eh front.. it does happen.
Old 03-25-21, 06:27 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I remember when I used to turn off my bike computer prior to the end of the ride to pad my stats
Old 03-25-21, 08:10 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I guess you've never double-flatted?
Old 03-26-21, 06:46 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Originally Posted by big john
I guess you've never double-flatted?
I did once and it was twice on the rear. But there is a backstory here as the rim tape on this (rear) wheel had been installed improperly and that was the culprit. Had it been in that same manner on the front it would have been a double front flat.

But consistent with my experience to date - no front flats.

dave
Old 03-26-21, 06:54 AM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
I remember when I used to turn off my bike computer prior to the end of the ride to pad my stats
I am curious - how does that padding work? Is the last half mile to your house uphill or something?

In this case about a half mile from the end of the ride (pretty much at my home) my very expensive knee brace slipped down to the point that I had to stop and adjust it (or just let it fall to my ankles). So I stopped to fix that and just ended the ride (on the bike computer anyway) at that point. Not sure that it was a padding thing but it was a much better ride than expected and I was interested in honest (no stops) data. I tend to focus on power more than speed (particularly on a windy day such as that day).

dave
Old 03-26-21, 09:23 AM
big john

Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
I did once and it was twice on the rear. But there is a backstory here as the rim tape on this (rear) wheel had been installed improperly and that was the culprit. Had it been in that same manner on the front it would have been a double front flat.

But consistent with my experience to date - no front flats.

dave
What I meant was flat both tires at the same time. I didn't have a double flat for years and then last year it happened twice, (2020'd). First time I rode through a bunch of debris and both tires went flat quickly.
Second time I was descending in the mountains and I hit a sharp rock in the shadows and cut the rear tire for an instant blow out. By the time I got the bike stopped the front was flat, too.
Old 03-26-21, 10:01 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Complementing the gods for giving you a flat tire, hmmm....
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 03-26-21, 11:19 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Nice day today and I went out for a routine 30'ish mile ride in the countryside here in south-central NC. A bit more traffic than normal (but normal is almost no traffic), so still a very pleasant ride. Ride was over, bike computer off, and I was 2 blocks from home when I had a flat tire. Like I said - rarely are the biking Gods so considerate.

dave

ps. I am going to ride this particular front tire until I have a flat just to prove to myself that it is possible to flat on a front tire - I don't EVER recall having done that.
I pinch-flatted the front on a piece of gravel a couple weeks ago. Wasn't even a big pebble, and the tire was at its normal 90 PSI, but I must have hit it at just the right angle. Front flats are rarer than rears, but not uncommon. Last one, I ran over a piece of thin wire, which signaled its presence by clicking off the fork as the wheel rotated. The tire looked and felt fine otherwise, but when I pulled the wire out, I was rewarded with a transient puff of air, so I swapped in a spare tube
Old 03-26-21, 12:03 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Complementing the gods for giving you a flat tire, hmmm....
Flats will happen, the only question to the cycling Gods is "when?"

Walking-in-cleats distance from home is pretty benevolent of them in that regard.

It also gives the added bonus of "Honey! I'm going to be in the garage fixing my flat tire for the next 3 hours*!"

*No it doesn't take me 3 hours to fix a flat.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 03-26-21, 12:44 PM
DaveLeeNC

big john What I meant was flat both tires at the same time.

Now I understand and I have never encountered that. I haven't even heard of it, but in the right conditions I see how it can happen. dave
Old 03-26-21, 03:41 PM
big john

big john What I meant was flat both tires at the same time.

Now I understand and I have never encountered that. I haven't even heard of it, but in the right conditions I see how it can happen. dave
Avoid it if you can, it is the suck.
Old 03-26-21, 08:05 PM
bahula03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
The only front flat I've gotten (lucky stars/knock on wood) the tire started losing pressure as I was braking for and going around a 90º corner, felt like the damn wheel was going to fall off...do not recommend. Relevant to this thread, it happened at the end of the ride and I got the bike stopped maybe 50' from a LBS, so got to have a chat and use their pump instead of a cartridge
Old 04-14-21, 03:07 PM
DaveLeeNC

SNIP

SUCCESS!!! I finally had a flat on the front. I was topping up the air pressure (floor pump) in my front tire before a ride and somehow in the process of removing the pump nozzle (presta valve) I sheared off the core piece. OK - not exactly what I meant but close enough :-)

dave
Old 04-14-21, 03:32 PM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I rarely flat on the front as well but strangely enough you resurrect this thread as I get my front flat. New tire too, GP5000.

Hit a clear piece of a car lens in the bike lane on a night ride. No way I could have known it was there. Pinch flat to top it off. I had to walk the line with lights on to find the culprit in order to remove it from the lane for the next poor cycling fool.
I did this by personal request from the Bike Gods

dave