Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Use old XT derailleurs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Use old XT derailleurs

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-21, 06:26 AM
000brunswick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use old XT derailleurs

Hello all,

New to this forum but glad I found it. I just bought myself a new bike to use when I ride around with my kids. It's a GT aggressor Pro and it has some components on it that i would say are bottom of the line quality. I believe the rear derailleur is shift 21. I'm a little older now at 42 and although I do have a downhill bike that I've possessed for quite a long time, the days of hurdling myself off of things are looking gone. I bought it back in 2006. It's a brody Diablo and it has full XT gear set on it. I know that derailers have changed in some respects quite a lot over the years with new technologies. However basic derailleur technology seems to have stayed the same. I'll never use the Diablo to rip around town, as It's a full suspension bike and the rear shock doesn't dampen in a way that's conducive to road riding. And the bike weighs a ton lol. Would I be better served to put the XT derailers and shifters on my GT bike? I've kept the bike in really good condition over the years and they still work perfectly and shift great every time. Just not sure if the new derailleur is just as good with in terms of reliability. Especially given that the XT set is now 15 years old.

Thanks for any feedback
Old 04-09-21, 06:49 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Welcome! Robbing parts from one bike to use on another is a find old tradition but make sure you don't leave one bike incomplete and therefore inop. That can cascade into making your entire life fall apart.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 04-09-21, 07:03 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
What do you mean by derailleur reliability? Does the bike not shift? drops a chain? skips? These can be handled by normal maintenance and taking up cable stretch in the drivetrain components.

Keep the old bike as is. Go 1x and clutch on the GT, at a minimum Deore or SLX/XT/XTR based on your budget. Or Microshift Advent or Box Prime 9 can be had. Add a narrow wide chainring suitable for your crankset.
Old 04-09-21, 07:38 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Sure you can. In 2006 Shimano was still using 9 speed systems. The cable pull is the same as your Shimano 7 speed; SRAM always used a different pull/derailleur actuation. Old XT is infinitely better than any Tourney or ???

The other half of this that one day you may upgrade your Brody, if you feel it is worth it, from a 9 speed to a 1x11 and those XT derailleurs will get tossed in a parts bin.

John

Edit added: And at 42, what are the chances you will ever ride a downhill bike with 26in wheels? Or anyone else?

Last edited by 70sSanO; 04-09-21 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-09-21, 09:59 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Old XT is excellent and bomb proof. I highly recommend it and really wish I could find a stockpile of these. I would be so happy, they work just fine for 9 speed or below and could probably friction shift 10 speeds pretty easily and while not the prettiest derailleur they are supremely functional and I think look pretty swell considering.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-09-21, 12:04 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I bought vintage 9 speed XTR shifters for my old Giant Rainier hardtail. Great shifters XT/XTR are awesome upgrades for old bikes.
Old 04-09-21, 09:48 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Dont tear up the DH bike