Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Buy used racing bike or build one instead? Cost vs labor...

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-08-21, 04:24 AM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Bikes: (1) Giant TCR racing bike, Ultegra/DuraAce groupo. (2) Kastle TT bike, Ultegra groupo.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hi all, I have a friend who is looking to get his first racing bike, used, here in Washington DC. He's having trouble finding one in his price range. I thought he might find, say, a 10 or 15 year old bike in the $7-800 range with Shimano 105 or even Ultegra components but no luck. He says the bikes he's interested in have an asking price of $1300-$1400. So, now he's looking at building one himself. For example, starting with this, currently on the market:

"BMC ALR01 51cm frameset, $450, frame, fork & seatpost, geometry is identical to the carbon version."

My question is this: Would he be biting off more than he can chew? Seems like a huge project to me that will take too long, like 3 months. He's a good, amateur mechanic but can only work nights and weekends, at best; plus he wants to save money by buying used parts wherever possible. On the plus side, he's got a friend who is a professional mechanic who is willing to help him with the more challenging moments. Personally, I think it's WAY too much of a hassle, but I don't have enough mechanical experience to know for sure. What do y'all think?
Old 04-08-21, 05:46 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
There are two time considerations here. One is how long it takes to put the parts on the bike, which isn’t a lot if he’s worked on bikes before and has access to the right tools.
The second, more important factor is the time it takes to get all the parts if you’re looking for deals and buying one at a time. If you want to keep your costs low, you have constantly check for good deals and be patient until they come up. That can certainly take months.
This is also a bad time to be buying a bike, as the warming weather creates a lot of buyers.
Likes For AeroGut:
Old 04-08-21, 05:51 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
It's usually cheaper to buy a bike than the individual parts. It's not necessarily that hard to assemble a bike, but sourcing all the parts can be time consuming, especially if you're waiting for used parts to appear. And, while you're waiting, you're not riding.
If he has a frame at $450, how much for wheels, crankset, derailleurs, chain, brakes, seat, pedals—well, you get the idea. I won't be long before you're approaching the 1300 mark.
I don't know what the situation in Washington is, but up here in Ottawa demand for bikes is sky high. Our local co-op has stopped selling used parts, because they need all the parts they can find do create refurbs to sell.
Old 04-08-21, 06:16 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
That's crazy. Just took a peek at the DC CL and found a half dozen possibilities in less than 5 minutes.
Will he find The Deal Of The Century just as the weather turns beautiful? No.
But there should be no shortage of acceptable under-$1300 carbon bikes with 9-10 speed STI type component groups out there.
Exception may be if your friend needs an unusual -very short or very tall- bike.
Also, you can't wait until the night or a weekend to jump on that good deal- they go quickly.
Old 04-08-21, 08:20 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
That's crazy. Just took a peek at the DC CL and found a half dozen possibilities in less than 5 minutes.
Agreed:
e.g.
Old 04-08-21, 08:41 AM
Lewis Yelin

Bikes: (1) 2003 Fuji Roubaix Pro, (2) 2003 Jamis Coda Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the advice!

The friend (ahem, me) needs a 48-51cm frame, and there are very few used bikes being sold in that size. The ones that I saw and would consider are asking $1,500-$3,000. Even with that as a bargaining starting point, the question is whether I'll be able to build one myself for less. Cost aside, I agree that the biggest impediment is waiting to find parts. Though I have some suboptimal parts that I could use (like wheels) until something better comes along, I'll definitely need to get the drivetrain, and I've not seen many acceptable drivetrain parts advertised in the last many weeks I've been looking.

Thanks to you all for the advice!
Old 04-08-21, 10:09 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
Having built bikes from the frame, as well as buying, unless your friend has great connections/sources/parts bins to get parts cheap, and can build the bike himself, it is almost always more expensive to build.

In my experience you build because you want something that is unique, and you really like to build them. Just building basically the same as what a mfg already specs will probably be a losing proposition.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-08-21, 10:24 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Having built bikes from the frame, as well as buying, unless your friend has great connections/sources/parts bins to get parts cheap, and can build the bike himself, it is almost always more expensive to build.

In my experience you build because you want something that is unique, and you really like to build them. Just building basically the same as what a mfg already specs will probably be a losing proposition.

John
This.

That said, once you've gotten all the parts and assuming you have the right tools, it shouldn't take more than an evening to assemble it.
Old 04-08-21, 10:48 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO

Absolutely, the whole is almost always cheaper than the sum of its parts. I've also built several bikes up from bare frames but either got a great deal on a complete "build kit" or transferred most of the components from other bikes. The old cliche "Good, cheap and fast. Pick any two." applies here also. If you have plenty of time you can assemble a good bike at relatively low cost. If you are in a hurry, it's going to be expensive or poor quality.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 04-08-21, 10:54 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
If this was a few years ago I would say it would be no problem. But with covid and parts being difficult to obtain it might be a bit of a headache and more of a over the winter project. Just a 105 group set if you can find one is going to be around $600. Then you have to buy forks, wheels, seat /seat post, headset etc. He's going to quickly exceed his budget.

Maybe it's where I live but I find a lot of decently priced smaller sized road bikes on facebook market place. But you got to be fast and always watching. When one pops up if you sit and think about it for a hour or two it will be gone.
Likes For cbrstar:
Old 04-08-21, 11:44 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
A lot of people have pointed out that putting together a bike will cost more than buying a complete bike. What they neglected , is that the complete bike will also cost more than the complete bike! You see, when you buy a complete bike, you will almost always replace the seat , stem, and pedals. Maybe the handlebars. If you're replacing handlebar you'll replace the tape and most likely the cables. You might replace the tires with wider tires which are fashionable now, and these are expensive. Some people have a known preference for crank length also. Crankset. Depending on the terrain you are riding, you might want a wider range cassette. New cassette and chain.
So you see, a complete bike also costs more than its price tag. I would lean towards the build-your-own route, not because it's cheaper, but because I am getting exactly what I want.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 04-08-21, 12:08 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
A lot of people have pointed out that putting together a bike will cost more than buying a complete bike. What they neglected , is that the complete bike will also cost more than the complete bike! You see, when you buy a complete bike, you will almost always replace the seat , stem, and pedals. Maybe the handlebars. If you're replacing handlebar you'll replace the tape and most likely the cables. You might replace the tires with wider tires which are fashionable now, and these are expensive. Some people have a known preference for crank length also. Crankset. Depending on the terrain you are riding, you might want a wider range cassette. New cassette and chain.
So you see, a complete bike also costs more than its price tag. I would lean towards the build-your-own route, not because it's cheaper, but because I am getting exactly what I want.
Almost all of this only applies to a seasoned rider.

You want exactly want you want, and so do I after decades of riding. Not for a first racing bike. I am willing to bet your thought testing your first bike in a parking lot wasn’t... is this my preferred cram arm length.

Ride 5000 miles first and then tell me what you think. Or the OP’s friend can buy a half dozen cranks, handlebars, etc. to build that first bike.

John
Old 04-08-21, 12:11 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by Lewis Yelin
The friend (ahem, me) needs a 48-51cm frame, and there are very few used bikes being sold in that size. The ones that I saw and would consider are asking $1,500-$3,000. Even with that as a bargaining starting point, the question is whether I'll be able to build one myself for less. Cost aside, I agree that the biggest impediment is waiting to find parts. Though I have some suboptimal parts that I could use (like wheels) until something better comes along, I'll definitely need to get the drivetrain, and I've not seen many acceptable drivetrain parts advertised in the last many weeks I've been looking.

Yep, harder to find a truly competitive bike in an extra-small size like that. Just make sure you know what your size ‘looks like’ because sellers are notoriously bad at listing the correct frame size.
When doing searches, don’t rely on the size itself being posted. And try using ‘small’ as a search term.
Old 04-08-21, 01:25 PM
70sSanO

I think one issue is that everybody searches for the typical Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc. Most people don't look at brands like Fuji, or Jamis, or Perfomance's Scattante.

There are good bikes to be had for less that are not one of the big names. But it takes a bit of research, which most people just don't want to do.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-08-21, 01:26 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Just looking on CL in Washington. Full Aero CF 2012 Cervelo S5 VWD 2 lbs. Carbon Fiber Aero Road Frameset -... (craigslist.org) $1200. Time trial bike so probably not what he's looking for Cervelo P1 Triathlon Bike - Ultegra & Dura-Ace + upgrades, 51cm -... (craigslist.org) $950
If he went up to a 52cm Specialized S Works Road Bike - Just Tuned Up - bicycles - by owner... (craigslist.org) ($895)

But if he's planning on putting a bike together then joining your local bicycle Co-op is a good idea. You can often use their specialty tools and ask questions which will save you a bunch building the bike.
Likes For cbrstar:
Old 04-08-21, 01:28 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Personally I’d go with a new bike with 105 groupset. Usually the LBS performs a basic bike fit to get you dialed in. And you get a new bike warranty. And you’re riding today. You can always buy a quality used frame and build that up slowly with good parts. Before you know it, N+1.
Likes For Wilbur76:
Old 04-08-21, 03:02 PM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Bikes: (1) Giant TCR racing bike, Ultegra/DuraAce groupo. (2) Kastle TT bike, Ultegra groupo.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
Just looking on CL in Washington. Full Aero CF 2012 Cervelo S5 VWD 2 lbs. Carbon Fiber Aero Road Frameset -... (craigslist.org) $1200. Time trial bike so probably not what he's looking for Cervelo P1 Triathlon Bike - Ultegra & Dura-Ace + upgrades, 51cm -... (craigslist.org) $950
If he went up to a 52cm Specialized S Works Road Bike - Just Tuned Up - bicycles - by owner... (craigslist.org) ($895)
But if he's planning on putting a bike together then joining your local bicycle co-op is a good idea. You can often use their specialty tools and ask questions which will save you a bunch building the bike.
Thanks for your post! I think that Specialized S-Works is probably too big for him but I'm urging him to look at it anyway. I figure, even if it's a bit uncomfortable, he can always resell it at the same price or more and search for another bike when he's not under time pressure.
Likes For dglevy:
Old 04-08-21, 03:04 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 87 Posts
Buy that used race frame-set in your size for $3-400, then buy a decent used race-bike, fully built for $500 and swap all the components over. Sell the larger frame for $200. Net $6-700. Just make sure, before you buy, that the fork steerer tube diameter, seat post diameter and BB threading are the same on both frames and that the cranks are not too long for you. Your LBS can help you remove/install the headset and BB....everything else is straightforward. The cable housings will be a bit long but you can leave that be for the time being.
Likes For Sonofamechanic:
Old 04-08-21, 03:42 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,532 Posts

What is budget? Are you truly racing or what will you be doing? When do you want to be on the road?

IME piecing a bike together from used parts takes time, is still more expensive than you thing and often does not work as smoothly as matching parts

understand with covid part of the issue is finding any bike

but consider what you baseline new bike would be like and look for something similar i.e a Specialized Allez Elite is $1500 105 equipped alu frame, carbon fork

did see this on DC craigs list

Cervelo R3 carbon bike - $1,150 (Springfield)

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/d/springfield-cervelo-r3-carbon-bike/7300653851.html

Cervelo R3. Lightweight carbon frame/front fork. Size 51cm. 10 speed Ultegra mechanical with rim brakes.
Lowered the price. Sold the tubeless Hunt wheels separately. Bike now has original unused Fulcrum rims.
Frame is clean and in excellent condition aside from nick in front fork.
Must sell

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-08-21, 04:39 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
When you buy a complete bike, you can ride it immediately even if you intend to upgrade or replace parts over time. When you start with only a frameset, you have nothing to ride until you install all the parts. With part shortages just as bad, if not worse, than complete bikes (at least if bargain hunting), how much time is wasted not riding?
Old 04-09-21, 11:17 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Lewis Yelin options

48 CM FUJI ROUBAIX PRO REYNOLDS 853 ULTEGRA 9 SPEED - $475 (GLOVER PARK)

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/bik/d/washington-48-cm-fuji-roubaix-pro/7303419643.html

2003 FUJI ROUBIAX PRO
NICE SILVER, GREY, BARE METAL, BLACK AND RED PAINT JOB.
700C SHIMANO 105 RIMS.
FRAME MATERIAL IS REYNOLDS 853.
IT HAS A FUJI CARBON FIBER FORK.
FRAME GEOMETRY IS 49CM. WITH STANDARD 6 INCH REAR SPACING.
ULTEGRA 53/32 TOOTH CRANKSET. ENGLISH THREADED, WITH ORIGINAL CRANK ARM.
COMES WITH ULTEGRA 9 SPEED FLIGHT DECK SHIFTERS.
ULTEGRA SHORT CAGE 9 SPEED REAR DERAILLEUR.
ULTEGRA 9 SPEED FRONT DERAILLEUR.
THREAD LESS FSA HEADSET WITH 1" FORK FOR HEAD TUBE.
SHIMANO 600 ULTEGRA BRAKES.

THIS BIKE IS A LIGHT WEIGHT STEEL FRAME THAT IS EXTREMELY DURABLE.
PEOPLE TEND TO LIGHTEN THESE FRAMES EVEN MORE BY PUTTING A LIGHTER WHEEL SET.
EXTREMELY FAST BICYCLE. IT CAN CLIMB AND HANDLES WELL. VERY DURABLE IN ALL KINDS OF
ENVIRONMENTS. CAN ALSO KEEP UP WITH NEWER CARBON FIBER.

STEEL IS REAL!!

Cannondale R1000 - Shimano Ultegra - $600 (Hyattsville,MD)

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/bik/d/hyattsville-cannondale-shimano-ultegra/7303328853.html
The Cannodale R1000 road bike
50 cm frame size
Excellent condition
Aluminum frame
Carbon fiber forks
Hand made in the USA
Full Shimano Ultegra 27 speed group set (3x9)
DT Swiss wheelset
700x 25 mm tires
Really nice bike
Super lightweight, smooth and fast
Easy to climb hills
Fresh tune up and ready to go
Test ride is welcome
The price is firm

Specialized- Allez Sport- 700c, 18 Speed Carbon Fork Road Bike- EXCEL - $695 (North Potomac)

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/bik/d/gaithersburg-specialized-allez-sport/7303147357.html

00 x 23c tires
Carbon 2 Kinesis fork
Quick release front and rear wheels
Bike computer (needs battery)
Shimano 105 STI shifters
21" aluminum frame with 31 1/2" standover height
**(When I measure from the the center of the pedal sprocket to the top of frame tube where the seat post goes in, it measures 54 cm. There is a sticker on the top of the down tube that says 50. If I measure from the center of the pedal sprocket to the center of the crossbar, I get 50cm)
Pedals not included. Bring your own pedals if you want to test ride.
Missing shifter cap as shown in last picture
Almost LIKE NEW! Only ridden a few times.

Old 04-09-21, 11:35 AM
Lewis Yelin

Bikes: (1) 2003 Fuji Roubaix Pro, (2) 2003 Jamis Coda Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks, Squirt dad! I've am appointment to see the Fuji today. (The Specialized is too big for me.)
I quite appreciate everyone's input!
Old 04-09-21, 11:50 AM
squirtdad

Thanks, Squirt dad! I've am appointment to see the Fuji today. (The Specialized is too big for me.)
I quite appreciate everyone's input!

Old 04-09-21, 03:36 PM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Hey all, so, as it turns out, Lewis bought the Fuji Roubaix for $400, which he had spotted online and asked for my opinion for yesterday. Many thanks to the experienced many who kindly took the time to give feedback. He bought the bike without even riding it because the bike had no brake pads and the tires were flat! Hopefully it will turn out to be just right for his needs. We shall see. For the benefit of those who took an interest in the question, I will post an update once he has ridden it (with brake pads, that is...)
Likes For dglevy:
Old 04-09-21, 04:00 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by dglevy
Hey all, so, as it turns out, Lewis bought the Fuji Roubaix for $400, which he had spotted online and asked for my opinion for yesterday. Many thanks to the experienced many who kindly took the time to give feedback. He bought the bike without even riding it because the bike had no brake pads and the tires were flat! Hopefully it will turn out to be just right for his needs. We shall see. For the benefit of those who took an interest in the question, I will post an update once he has ridden it (with brake pads, that is...)
it listed the brakes as ultegra 600.........if that is correct they are nice brakes, but single pivot. I either of you is handy upgrading to some dual pivot brakes would be IMHO a really good and not expensive investment

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.