Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-21, 02:00 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If you buy a Garmin, go for one with a touchscreen. Setting up your data fields with the pushbuttons is very time-consuming and frustrating.
​​​​​​For what it's worth, once you've done that, you can move those data pages and fields to a different device if you ever have one. Even if you resolve to never give them your money again, it might get replaced under warranty some day.
Old 04-08-21, 03:46 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Wahoo has completely pwned Garmin when it comes to UI. It's so simple to set up, navigate, upload and use that it's almost scary. If you subscribe to Strava (it could do it for other services but I don't use them) and map a course your wahoo unit will just have it. Far beats the cumbersome loading and unloading on the Garmin.
I honestly have to say I find I am actually happy when I ride my bike that has the Wahoo on it though. It just works.
+1, same as my experience. I am not usually someone who prefers the easier experience over what is allegedly more powerful, but going from a 520 to a Bolt was eye-opening. I can understand why people recommend touch for Garmins- their button-based UI is the worst. Funny that I have absolutely no issues lacking touch with a Bolt.

The ironic reason I bought a Bolt to replace my 520 is that the Garmin kept disconnecting from Bluetooth to my phone (needed for LiveTrack) and would also stop receiving Varia signals for the rest of the ride(!). As soon as Wahoo added Varia support I was more than ready to jump ship and haven't once considered going back to Garmin.
Old 04-08-21, 03:49 PM
Garhel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001

Wahoo has completely pwned Garmin when it comes to UI. It's so simple to set up, navigate, upload and use that it's almost scary. If you subscribe to Strava (it could do it for other services but I don't use them) and map a course your wahoo unit will just have it. Far beats the cumbersome loading and unloading on the Garmin.
Yes, I had to set up my daughter's Bolt, and being able to set the initial screens up from her phone was quick and easy (compared to the initial set up of 1030, although this was a while ago now!). Once you've gone through that first step though, I think I prefer the day to day operation of my Garmin. One thing to note though is that the Strava routes upload has been automated for a while on Garmin - once you connect your Garmin and Strava accounts, you simply "star" the route you want in Strava, and the next time you switch on your device it just appears, no cables or uploads needed. Similarly with the Komoot IQ app - you just select Komoot on the device and all the Komoot routes you have made available in the app are just there for you to select. Maybe this is only a feature of the newer 30 series units?
Old 04-08-21, 03:57 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
+1, same as my experience. I am not usually someone who prefers the easier experience over what is allegedly more powerful, but going from a 520 to a Bolt was eye-opening. I can understand why people recommend touch for Garmins- their button-based UI is the worst. Funny that I have absolutely no issues lacking touch with a Bolt.

The ironic reason I bought a Bolt to replace my 520 is that the Garmin kept disconnecting from Bluetooth to my phone (needed for LiveTrack) and would also stop receiving Varia signals for the rest of the ride(!). As soon as Wahoo added Varia support I was more than ready to jump ship and haven't once considered going back to Garmin.
The BlueTooth interface that Garmin devices have with assorted smartphones is likely the single biggest problem I see people complain about. I'm active on the FaceBook 1030 and Edge pages and see BT issues very often. It's also one thing that DC Rainmaker commented on of the issues with Live Track, which is fundementaly a BT problem and that Garmin has still not figured out how to resolve. It's especially a problem with Apple devices as far as I can tell and I suspect it's an issue that Apple does frequent updates and Garmin is always behind the curve on keeping up. I've have almost none of the connection issues while using an Android phone.
Old 04-08-21, 04:01 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
The BlueTooth interface that Garmin devices have with assorted smartphones is likely the single biggest problem I see people complain about. I'm active on the FaceBook 1030 and Edge pages and see BT issues very often. It's also one thing that DC Rainmaker commented on of the issues with Live Track, which is fundementaly a BT problem and that Garmin has still not figured out how to resolve. It's especially a problem with Apple devices as far as I can tell and I suspect it's an issue that Apple does frequent updates and Garmin is always behind the curve on keeping up. I've have almost none of the connection issues while using an Android phone.
I used my 520 with 2 different flagship Android phones, an LG V-series and a Google Pixel 3a XL and had BT dropouts with both. I don't doubt that it's worse on Apple, but I am not going to forgive Garmin when I've never experienced a single disconnect with the Bolt.
Likes For surak:
Old 04-08-21, 04:32 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
So, the sensor data is showing on the Garmin? It's not a separate smaller device, right? So it's possible that my current sensor would work w/ the Garmin. But I don't think it will. It's a Cateye Velo Wireless. So I might want to get the bundle.
The sensor is a device that attaches to a hub. It transmits the wheel revolution count to the Garmin "head unit". The newer Garmin sensors can also work without a head unit (they will transmit the wheel revolutions to an app running on your phone.

Your Cateye sensor won't work (unless it works as a generic BT transmitter).

You don't really need the sensor.

Sensors work better than GPS for instantaneous speed (useful if you want an accurate maximum speed).

Sensors are a bit more accurate for distance but not so much that it's a concern. They are more useful for mountain biking (where there are lots of turns and where GPS reception might be iffy).
Old 04-08-21, 05:44 PM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
I have a 830 that works extremely well. I agree the menus are less than intuitive. Still, I’ve turned into a Garmin boy and use their headlight, radar and recently added the Rally power meters. It all syncs seamlessly, once set up.

If I was to do it again, I’d probably go with the 1030+ for the larger screen (I’m old). The processor is apparently faster too, but not needed IMO.

Last edited by BCAC; 04-08-21 at 07:12 PM.
Likes For BCAC:
Old 04-08-21, 05:57 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
I've read about the features on each of the versions - 530, 830, 1030, etc. There's Plus and there are bundles that make it more complicated.
The 1030 isn't being made any more. It still might be possible to get the 1030. But the 1030+ is a better unit (easily worth another ~$100).

My main needs are to make navigation easier, to upload/create routes, and to record data and stats. Planning to get a radar/car detector, which I assume works with all or most models.
Touch screen (830 and 1030+) makes certain aspects of navigation easier. Recording data and stats works the same on all units. Radar should work the same on all the units (but it might be easier to see on the bigger screen). The 530 doesn't let you search for addresses. That's probably not used that frequently but it can be useful.

Any suggestions based on real-world experience with Garmins? How valuable is the touch screen?
A touch screen makes doing things like panning and zooming the map easier. Not everybody does that (I find it useful).
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-08-21, 07:29 PM
Madridjoe
Man, I love this bike!

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I had an 800 for about 8 years, replaced it with a 1030 a couple years ago, and been very happy with it, at 70 I am especially enjoying the larger display!
Old 04-08-21, 10:45 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Mrs. NoWhammies has the 530. No problems, no complaints. She does recommend it.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 04-08-21, 11:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I used my 520 with 2 different flagship Android phones, an LG V-series and a Google Pixel 3a XL and had BT dropouts with both. I don't doubt that it's worse on Apple, but I am not going to forgive Garmin when I've never experienced a single disconnect with the Bolt.
​​​​​​All of the Garmin watches I've had work perfectly in terms of BT. The only time the signal drops for me is when I go out of range, it's so unusual to get a drop that it's prevented me losing my phone. (If it dropped all the time for no reason I wouldn't bother to check.) Most people with their watches basically never have BT problems.

​​​​​​​But they're extremely common in the Edge devices. Amazing they can get some of their product lines to work so well and not others. DCR said their watches and bike computers are made by different teams. They should collaborate more.
Old 04-09-21, 06:22 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I had a Garmin Edge 1000 for 3+ years and loved it. The larger display, touchscreen capability and the ability to connect my cadence sensor, heart rate sensor, front light, rear radar/light, and phone to it all worked great. Navigation and a color map were things I used on each ride. I recently upgraded to the Edge 1030 Plus. Moving all my files and almost all settings to it from the Edge 1000 using Garmin Connect was simple and quick. I suggest the Edge 1030 Plus because of its larger screen, more functionality, and longer battery life compared to less expensive Edge models.
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 04-09-21, 08:38 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
It's likely that your current speed sensor is the kind that measures rotations of a separate magnet attached to the spokes and sends the number of wheel rotations to the head unit. That's not compatible with a sensor designed to work with a Garmin or Wahoo.

These newer designs attach to the wheel hub and measure wheel rotations using the earths magnetic field. .
FWIW, just because a speed sensor works with a wheel-affixed magnet, does not exclude possibility of working with a Garmin or Wahoo. eg. below.
Wahoo Blue SC Sensor

The OP's cateye however I don't think will work. Instructions indicate transmission is at 19kHz
Old 04-09-21, 09:41 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I forgot to mention I also use a varia taillight and I move it from bike to bike and it work perfectly with both my wahoo and my garmin head units (and other riders nearby can join the light network and see my radar info as well while riding. Helpful on group rides.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 04-12-21, 11:44 AM
tonymarch

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Also a vote for Wahoo. Set up is a snap, the UI is great, and the tactile buttons beat touchscreens. Even with tech gloves, touchscreens can be, well, touchy. I have the original Elemnt for my road bikes (bigger display for navigation) and a Bolt on my mountain bike (like the compact design there). Not sure if the Roam is worth it; the amount of color is limited anyway, so that's not a major advantage. The only thing I don't like about the Wahoo is it doesn't store time in HR zones once you stop the ride (just shows them as bar graphs). I have workarounds to address it, since I'm a bit of a numbers geek. Other than that, super easy to synch with RWGPS or Strava for routes and ride data.
Old 04-12-21, 02:42 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
So the speed sensor is based on wheel revolutions? I already have one of those. Are they more accurate than GPS, or just slightly more reliable since they are not dependent on a GPS signal that might fail? And I assume that a Garmin's end-of-ride stats (mph, distance) are correct regardless? I don't want anything less accurate than the cheap sensor that I already have.
Yes, the speed sensor helps out if you lose signal (cloud cover, skyscrapers, long tunnels etc) but it’s also handy if you use your bike on a home trainer (main reason I got a sensor).

I have a Cateye ant+ Speed/cadence sensor with a magnet that pairs ok with my 310xt for trainer purposes, but it can be a bit sketchy on the connection, and if I could redo, I’d pay the extra and get the Garmin version. I’m not sure the sensor that came with your existing Cateye would work with a Garmin.
Likes For Leinster: