Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Choosing my new carbon road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Choosing my new carbon road bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-21, 03:23 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
I meant sub 8.0kg with disc at $4'000 or less. I have checked many, many brands and as I said, no aero or endurance bikes will fit all of those. Possibly 'climbing' as I said, and well those look like 'climbing' bikes.
Google harder. There are definitely sub 8.0kg bikes for $4000...with discs and Ultegra (mechanical). For less than $5k, a sub 8.0kg bike can be had with UDi2 and discs, from multiple manufacturers
Old 04-14-21, 10:34 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by F22c_legs
You can't beat the Bontrager aeolus pro37 wheels for price, warranty and specs: $1300; lifetime warranty/2yr crash replacement; 28mm outer/21mm inner; dtswiss 350; 1505g
I just picked up some of these for my wife's bike. Really nice wheels.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-15-21, 01:13 AM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
i wouldn't even bother with anything new , maybe madone 6 , or caad10 , buddy of mine blew the field away on a fixed gear spec transition , nothing disc , disc for road is stupid , tubeless road stupid , def stay away from specialized and trek new stuff , its just terrible , dentist bikes , maybe tcr , bmc looks good but who knows m its all china carbon with a fancy label , good luck
Old 04-15-21, 04:22 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Best "budget" wheels, imo... I'm curious about the newer, deeper aeolus wheels. They are 23mm internal, which means a better fit for 30-32mm tires, which means better ride quality, cornering and braking; only downside would be decreased acceleration.

I have the Pro 3V on my Domane which are 25mm internal and I run the 32s. No issues with acceleration.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-15-21, 06:34 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Google harder. There are definitely sub 8.0kg bikes for $4000...with discs and Ultegra (mechanical). For less than $5k, a sub 8.0kg bike can be had with UDi2 and discs, from multiple manufacturers
Again, not if they are 'aero' or 'endurance'. I made it clear that I was looking for these two. Also you said 7.5kg up at first. Definitely not many aero or endurance bikes with disc brakes at 7.5kg at $4k. If any at all.
Old 04-15-21, 07:03 AM
RedllowFenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can't beat the Bontrager aeolus pro37 wheels for price, warranty and specs: $1300; lifetime warranty/2yr crash replacement; 28mm outer/21mm inner; dtswiss 350; 1505g
Thanks! I would look into those.
Likes For RedllowFenix:
Old 04-15-21, 07:57 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Again, not if they are 'aero' or 'endurance'. I made it clear that I was looking for these two. Also you said 7.5kg up at first. Definitely not many aero or endurance bikes with disc brakes at 7.5kg at $4k. If any at all.
I never said 7.5kg, I said sub-8.0kg. I also didn't say all.

For instance, the Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8 Disc (aero) in a size S, effectively a 54cm frame, for US$3999 weighs in at 7.78kg. The Focus Izalco Max 8.8 (aero) weighs in right at 8.0kg. Emonda SL6 Pro (aero) (which the OP mentioned, but is closer to $5k IIRC) is also 8.0kg. The Specialized SL6 Comp is the heaviest at 8.33kg, but also the least expensive at $3500.

I'm also certain that there are $4000 range road bikes on offer that exceed 8kg, I even provided an example. I did say that discs are being offered by all the (major) manufacturers, and if rim brakes are offered, they reside at the low end (and heaviest) models of the relevant product lines. If you desire a sub 8kg bike under $4000 with discs, it can be had...assuming there is available stock.
Old 04-15-21, 10:05 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by RedllowFenix
Thank you. Indeed the stores in my city don't have any stock available...

When do you think the manufacturers will announce the 2022 models? Anyway, because there isn't any in stock, I'll have to wait. Then it is preferable to wait for these versions.
My LBS couldn't get any, I had to find one in a shop out of state and had it shipped to me. Not sure it's going to get better any time soon, still lots of delays in the supply chain.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Di2 doesn't make you faster, but it makes the bike more enjoyable to ride. Auto trim has to be my favorite thing about it.
Agreed, autotrim, effortless shifting, and no cable replacement make it worth it to me.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 04-15-21, 04:36 PM
ZHVelo

I never said 7.5kg, I said sub-8.0kg. I also didn't say all.

For instance, the Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8 Disc (aero) in a size S, effectively a 54cm frame, for US$3999 weighs in at 7.78kg. The Focus Izalco Max 8.8 (aero) weighs in right at 8.0kg. Emonda SL6 Pro (aero) (which the OP mentioned, but is closer to $5k IIRC) is also 8.0kg. The Specialized SL6 Comp is the heaviest at 8.33kg, but also the least expensive at $3500.

I'm also certain that there are $4000 range road bikes on offer that exceed 8kg, I even provided an example. I did say that discs are being offered by all the (major) manufacturers, and if rim brakes are offered, they reside at the low end (and heaviest) models of the relevant product lines. If you desire a sub 8kg bike under $4000 with discs, it can be had...assuming there is available stock.
The initial comment I replied to said 7.5-8.0. Who has a size S? And it costs 4'400, the 7.0 is 3'999 and comes in at 7.95kg. Emonda is a climbing bike and Madone the aero if I am not mistaken (unless we talk the new 2021 model I guess, but we are not). So again, you are right, they can be had, if they are the light/climbing models, but I quickly clarified that I had specifically not looked for those. For some reason instead of saying ah ok then, you dug in.
Old 04-15-21, 06:29 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Best "budget" wheels, imo... I'm curious about the newer, deeper aeolus wheels. They are 23mm internal, which means a better fit for 30-32mm tires, which means better ride quality, cornering and braking; only downside would be decreased acceleration.
I'm curious, too. I ordered a pair for my new bike arriving in June after the shop owner told me he could no longer order the XXX 4. You can see the wheels as an option in Project One and the default is the RSL 51 with the 23mm internal width paired with a 25mm tire.

My only guess why Trek went with 23mm is that it splits the difference between the old 21mm and the 25mm of their wider wheels and they can make one wheel for all tire sizes.
Old 04-15-21, 07:38 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by guachi
I'm curious, too. I ordered a pair for my new bike arriving in June after the shop owner told me he could no longer order the XXX 4. You can see the wheels as an option in Project One and the default is the RSL 51 with the 23mm internal width paired with a 25mm tire.

My only guess why Trek went with 23mm is that it splits the difference between the old 21mm and the 25mm of their wider wheels and they can make one wheel for all tire sizes.
You will like them. I seriously thought about swapping my Pro3v's on my bike for those, but I did not feel like doing all the work to swapping things around, rotors, cassette, setting up the new wheels tubeless, convert the old wheels to tubes...blah, blah, blah....., I was lazy.

Old 04-16-21, 12:02 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Decreased acceleration is a function of weight, especially at the rim. Carbon is pretty amazing, though, just because the rim is wider (or deeper) doesn't mean it is heavier.
Old 04-16-21, 12:16 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

The initial comment I replied to said 7.5-8.0. Who has a size S?
Thanks for clarifying, because it sure sounded like you were saying I said it. By Canyon's sizing it is roughly equivalent to a 54, or 53 depending on the frame. To answer your question, at 173cm tall with an 79cm inseam, I do.

Something to consider about categories aero, endurance, climbing....these are neat terms the industry used to use to separate their various road bikes that were basically the same, or better put, incrementally distinct. But that trend is going away. It started about 3 years ago, and really took off for the 2021 model year, which is what we are talking about, because there aren't many (if any) bikes to be had from the current or previous model years. All this obsessions about weight and aero is amusing to me when (a) the bikes are so light to begin with, taking 500g off the is an exorbitantly expensive proposition, but on a ride exceeding 2-3 hours, water loss will be twice that, and (b) I don't care how aero a frame is, the frontal surface of the human body is the real limiting factor for "aero." As for rim brakes on sub $4k and sub 8.0kg bikes, they might exist, but in most cases don't, because in 2021 sub $4k bikes tend to not be that light, no matter what brakes are in use.

For some reason instead of saying ah ok then, you dug in.
I also didn't say "ah ok" because I'm not going to agree to something that is factually incorrect, or worse extrapolate a single occurrence as being a rule. I'm done, so you can have the last word...
Likes For Badger6:
Old 04-16-21, 09:18 AM
ZHVelo

Thanks for clarifying, because it sure sounded like you were saying I said it. By Canyon's sizing it is roughly equivalent to a 54, or 53 depending on the frame. To answer your question, at 173cm tall with an 79cm inseam, I do.

Something to consider about categories aero, endurance, climbing....these are neat terms the industry used to use to separate their various road bikes that were basically the same, or better put, incrementally distinct. But that trend is going away. It started about 3 years ago, and really took off for the 2021 model year, which is what we are talking about, because there aren't many (if any) bikes to be had from the current or previous model years. All this obsessions about weight and aero is amusing to me when (a) the bikes are so light to begin with, taking 500g off the is an exorbitantly expensive proposition, but on a ride exceeding 2-3 hours, water loss will be twice that, and (b) I don't care how aero a frame is, the frontal surface of the human body is the real limiting factor for "aero." As for rim brakes on sub $4k and sub 8.0kg bikes, they might exist, but in most cases don't, because in 2021 sub $4k bikes tend to not be that light, no matter what brakes are in use.

I also didn't say "ah ok" because I'm not going to agree to something that is factually incorrect, or worse extrapolate a single occurrence as being a rule. I'm done, so you can have the last word...
Well done.